My "subjective" experience with AKM vs ESS DAC chip "sound signature".
Jun 27, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #76 of 112
With inexpensive and fewer devices and equipment, so take it with a grain of salt. Not trying to open a can of worms, but, I personally, find that different DACs, whether or not if it's the chip itself or units they go in, tend to sound a specific way, and I can only use terms I can come up with mixed with "audiophile terms" to describe them.

AKM = well-rounded, can be overly smooth in parts of the midrange, almost like there's variable peaks and dips, and while being generally weightier sounding, it can go either way when it wants to, kind of airy, bassier, very dynamic in volume, imaging and staging, literally can go almost entirely mono-sounding, to huge and 3D in different tracks, track sections or sources, captures individual instrument tone very well almost to the point of being cheesy or wonky; instrument solos really bring that out.

ESS = harsher high frequencies, almost like the vocalists in tracks with a lot of commotion are piercing my ears (AKMs do this too but it's a different kind of harsh), more detailed or revealing of very delicate sounds, lesser bass, thinner-sounding, more metallic and gritty, can be more pacey, more percussive texture from not being as smooth as AKM, consistent imaging and staging whether narrow or big, vocals have more emotion, upfront, and feel more immersive or "exciting". Overall, I tend to enjoy ESS Sabre more upon first impression, because there's something more exciting and different about how it makes tracks sound.

AKM tends to sound its best with good direct source material, while ESS tends to be highly enjoyable in multiple sources; AKM can too but is picky. Then there's the variable where some units can sound like they want to be like the other, but not quite, there's still that sense of having their typical sound but with each chip and unit having their own overall sound but stick to the general premise of their brand signature. For instance, the ES100 is dryer and harsher than the HUD100 but still have a general similarity to their signature. AKMs to me sound more refined almost too much at times without lacking too much bass even when bright, and there's a variability with enjoyment, but they tend to not be so immersive or emotionally impressive as ESS Sabre chips, at least in terms of vocals, especially upon first impression, but non-vocal instruments are a different story. Keep in mind, all are very inexpensive devices, especially my headphones, so my judgement may not be justified, and it's not like I've had everything to test out because of budget.

AKM devices I've heard: PlayStation Model SCPH-1001 (1995), 5001, FiiO K3, EarStudio ES100, EarStudio HUD100, FiiO BTR3.

ESS devices I've heard: XtremPro X1, Sabaj Da3, SMSL X4 and Sabaj Da2, DragonFly Black, Monoprice Monolith USB DAC, Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC.

My general thought.

AKMs are more balanced, bassier, smoother almost to the point of losing texture, and captures the tone and notes of individual instruments so well that it sometimes sounds so hilariously cheesy and wonky, or off-key, it's hard to explain, but still more impressive over the ESS, maybe because of the slight sharpness in the highest part of the treble. AKMs like to exaggerate certain parts in a tracks, like it's excessively dynamic.

Dullest/boring sounding AKM: FiiO K3 and BTR3

Darkest sounding AKM: FiiO K3 bass-boosted

Brightest sounding AKM: EarStudio ES100

ESS Sabres sound more immersive with strong emotion in the vocals, are very detailed, "euphoric", and generally just enjoyable all-around with a lot of sources, but can be excessively harsh and unrefined in comparison, also sometimes lacking in bass, not as dynamic or flexible in how it produces sound, but this could be a good thing if you like a specific sound.

Dullest/boring sounding ESS: DragonFly Black

Darkest sounding ESS: Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC

Brightest sounding ESS: All, except Hifime Sabre 9018 USB DAC and Monoprice Monolith USB DAC

I really want to try more TI/Burr-Brown stuff, I know a lot of people like Wolfson and old iPods, but I cannot get myself to like them, older iPods never sounded great to me, they're so "conventional", soft and dull-sounding, like most other players; I remember my Sandisk Sansa Clip back in '09 sounded amazing.

I think I might look into the iFi Zen DAC next, I heard a lot of good things about it, but a portion of people have said some bad things about it.
This is also how I felt the differences are between ESS and AKM. Burr-brown to me (ifi hip dac) sounded more bassy, wide, a bit lacking? in mids, smoothed out highs

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #77 of 112
This is also how I felt the differences are between ESS and AKM. Burr-brown to me (ifi hip dac) sounded more bassy, wide, a bit lacking? in mids, smoothed out highs
I think that design limitations could also affect dac performance for each chip model. In other words, each chip only allows specific board and power supply designs that will result in a bias to certain sound signatures.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #78 of 112
I think that design limitations could also affect dac performance for each chip model. In other words, each chip only allows specific board and power supply designs that will result in a bias to certain sound signatures.
Oh, I definitely agree. That's why it's important to try different models with the same chip (at least the same manufacturer) before coming to conclusions.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #79 of 112
Oh, I definitely agree. That's why it's important to try different models with the same chip (at least the same manufacturer) before coming to conclusions.
I kind of miss ESS based dacs with their hyper detailed sound, because listening to so much detail makes the track sound like a whole other recording, like a different perspective on how you once listened to certain songs.

Jun 27, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #80 of 112
I kind of miss ESS based dacs with their hyper detailed sound, because listening to so much detail makes the track sound like a whole other recording, like a different perspective on how you once listened to certain songs.
Gotcha. ESS is great especially if it "matches well" with the receiver. I really liked ESS with my Sony IER-m9. On the other hand, I think 64audio U18s is better matched with AKM.

Jun 28, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #81 of 112
Burr-brown to me (ifi hip dac) sounded more bassy, wide, a bit lacking? in mids, smoothed out highs

That's correct, Burr-Browns lean towards tone, body and all that, so naturally DACs with these parts inside won't make sound considered as primarily lean.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 28, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #82 of 112
are you comparing dacs that are connect with usb?

imo usb vs toslink/coax makes a huge difference alone, from your guys description it seems AKM sounds more like coax were ESS sounds more like usb over XMOS

Jun 28, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #83 of 112
imo usb vs toslink/coax makes a huge difference alone

Yup, these inputs differ. I will say though that today a lot can be done with USB to make it noticeably better than it used to be say a decade ago.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 29, 2023 at 4:29 AM Post #84 of 112
Yup, these inputs differ. I will say though that today a lot can be done with USB to make it noticeably better than it used to be say a decade ago.
perosnally i feel like there is room for usb, i recently switched to a DIY DDC with a ian canada hat and toslink/coax out and the difference is so huge that i never got it like this with usb, even with some usb tweaks like galvanic isolation and gadgets like the ifi isilencer, they improve usb but i feel its hard to actually reach toslink/coax levels with usb, i kinda suspect the xmos chips to make things worse but thats just a guess

Jun 29, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #85 of 112
That's correct, Burr-Browns lean towards tone, body and all that, so naturally DACs with these parts inside won't make sound considered as primarily lean.
I think you guys make good products. Liked the hip dac for its hip design (i.e. alcohol canister inspiration) as well as its functionality. Think I would've personally preferred a more subdued(?) color (i.e. black, grey, brown etc.) than an orange or blue, but that's more preference than a necessity.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #86 of 112
I think you guys make good products. Liked the hip dac for its hip design (i.e. alcohol canister inspiration) as well as its functionality. Think I would've personally preferred a more subdued(?) color (i.e. black, grey, brown etc.) than an orange or blue, but that's more preference than a necessity.

Some colors in our roster (i.e. black) have a special meaning, so we use these carefully. As for additional finishes, we aim to make our products as affordable as they can be and extra color options always noticeably raise the price. Nonetheless, I fully understand you and thank you for your kind words :)

perosnally i feel like there is room for usb, i recently switched to a DIY DDC with a ian canada hat and toslink/coax out and the difference is so huge that i never got it like this with usb, even with some usb tweaks like galvanic isolation and gadgets like the ifi isilencer, they improve usb but i feel its hard to actually reach toslink/coax levels with usb, i kinda suspect the xmos chips to make things worse but thats just a guess

It's a bit difficult to discuss digital interfaces because they're subject to so many variables. Digital transmitters in transports are as important as receivers on a DAC end and their quality also factors in. Good USB on both these ends will outperform poor S/PDIF and vice versa, but a nice USB is a bit trickier to make. That said I know what you mean, digital coax often sounds good :)

Aug 31, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #87 of 112
You can watch the video here for what can make the two DACs (not DAC chips) sound different. As a summary, DAC chips today are so good that the chips themselves won't have audible differences if properly used. It is the implementation of the of the chip in the DAC unit that makes the difference, as different DAC chips might have different design requirements. My additional comment, if the developer of the DAC unit or DAP just does a copy paste of a template design without considering the full design requirements of the chips and the scenario it is used in, might create audible differences, but if it is a proper design without an intentional change, they will sound the same.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #88 of 112
For the possible intersample peaks and clipping issue mentioned in the video, you can check this article from Benchmark, under the "Headroom for Intersample Peaks" title.

PS: I also found this, again from Benchmark.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #89 of 112
You can watch the video here for what can make the two DACs (not DAC chips) sound different. As a summary, DAC chips today are so good that the chips themselves won't have audible differences if properly used. It is the implementation of the of the chip in the DAC unit that makes the difference, as different DAC chips might have different design requirements. My additional comment, if the developer of the DAC unit or DAP just does a copy paste of a template design without considering the full design requirements of the chips and the scenario it is used in, might create audible differences, but if it is a proper design without an intentional change, they will sound the same.

I agree with design requirements.

I think EMI is a real factor that impacts most AKM oriented products at my location. This is avoided on my low powered M1 Macbook which sounds a lot better than my PC subjectively. (Creative X1 as example).

Nov 12, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #90 of 112
Schiit AKM 20' RCA vs Geshelli ESS 25' XLR Mild Equalization for Listening Space

AKM = well-rounded, generally weightier sounding, 3D in different tracks, track sections or sources, captures individual instrument tone very well

ESS = more detailed or revealing of very delicate sounds, more bass, better sounding bass, slightly narrower stage, vocals feel more immersive

AKM tends to sound its best with good direct source material, while ESS tends to be highly enjoyable in multiple sources!

My general thought. Comparing the two sets: Schiit AKM 20' RCA vs Geshelli ESS 25' XLR (Forever Speakers w/ 15" Woofers)

AKMs are more balanced, capture the tone and notes very well. dynamic. Fuller sound, wider stage.

ESS Sabres sound more immersive with strong vocals, are very detailed, enjoyable all-around with variable sources, improved bass range tonality.

The SchAKMR20EQ (SHAKM) was fine to my ears the stage width is very impressive in this expression of circuitry and I had no complaints except for the RCA run length.

The GeshESSX25EQ (GESSHI) sounded wrong using the EQ settings for the SHAKM. Dialing in the GEESHI for the room was not as easy as i originally thought. I ended up just raising each of 6 parameters on the Lokius by 1.5 db, this brought the fullness and stage width to normal levels, thus being flat but w/ the gain increase the J2, out performs the Modi 3 sonically in this system and listening space.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back