My speaker system just exploded! :(
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
After about 4 years sounding AWESOME, my Klipsch Promedia 5.1's stopped working! I was playing some fairly quiet music when there was a almighty CRACK from the sub following by a sizzling sound. Now they refuse to turn on.

So... What to replace them with?

I'm wanting 5.1 (for movies) and good sound. Probably not going to use them for music much, mostly movies and games. I don't want to pay too much, under $250USD would be good, although prices may vary locally.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 24
I was looking at these quite a while ago, but I decided on the logitech equivalent b/c there were a lot of heat/reliability complaints about the klipsch, plus klipsch is overpriced IMO. All that aside, it sounds like you've blown your amp (probably due to the heat issues often complained about).

If you want to get the absolute most of your money, I'd check to see if the satellites and subwoofer speakers still work by hooking them up directly to another amp. Once you have confirmed they still work, you can install a plate amp ($50ish or so at parts express, free shipping yay!) to power the sub, and grab a 5.1 home theater reciever to decode 5.1 and power your satellites.

Or if you're looking to grab something brand new of similar price and quality, you can sell me your old broken stuff so I have something to tinker with and grab the logitech z-5xxx series stuff
tongue.gif
. I've owned the logitech z-5xxx (I can't remember specifically) for like four years? It's been quite a while since I've purchased my logitech system, and I must say that it is quite capable of rocking your face off for great movie surround, but not the best for audiophiles as it is quite bassy and a bit staticy when you turn the volume up.

Of course I joke. Good luck, hope some of my rambling has helped you to find a solution. I solemnly believe that my first suggestion will yield the best bang for the buck if you were already happy with your klipsch setup. But seriously don't throw that old stuff in the trash, I'm sure someone on here, like me, would find a good use for it
biggrin.gif

PS: oh ya, I forgot my logitech z-5xxx has a fuse in the back. Make sure that if your system has a fuse it's not blown, before you consider replacing your whole system
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #3 of 24
I don't think I have enough space for a new amp and receiver and stuff nor the skill required to install the plate amp, so I think it'd be better to just get an all in one PC speaker setup.

Oh and no, I don't think there's a fuse in the back, not from what I can see anyway.

There's a pretty cheap used Logitech Z5500 Digital on a local auction site so that could be an option.

Any other opinions?

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 24
buy replacement parts from klipsch?

if the speakers aren't toasted, they're equivalent to the quintet II/III and will work on any amp that can drive at least 10wpc into 8 ohms (they aren't the most efficient in the world, but they're far from HTIB level (like ~89-93 db/W from what I remember))

a receiver will run you around $100 if you're a smart shopper (ok, should note, thats in a small city in the US, no idea for NZ, but theres always ebay), and a sub can be had for cheap as well (~$100, pick between Sony for volume and Polk for quality, really depends on room size)

which fits into your $250 range, and keeps the system you have, just upgrades to a receiver and better sub, and down the line you can upgrade to "real" speakers (I don't like that term in regards to the ProMedia, since it shares speakers with the Quintet package, which is considered by many to be a step above conventional HTIBs, its just that the amp is a real weakpoint (they die, as you've now learned))

Nov 26, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buy replacement parts from klipsch?

if the speakers aren't toasted, they're equivalent to the quintet II/III and will work on any amp that can drive at least 10wpc into 8 ohms (they aren't the most efficient in the world, but they're far from HTIB level (like ~89-93 db/W from what I remember))

a receiver will run you around $100 if you're a smart shopper (ok, should note, thats in a small city in the US, no idea for NZ, but theres always ebay), and a sub can be had for cheap as well (~$100, pick between Sony for volume and Polk for quality, really depends on room size)

which fits into your $250 range, and keeps the system you have, just upgrades to a receiver and better sub, and down the line you can upgrade to "real" speakers (I don't like that term in regards to the ProMedia, since it shares speakers with the Quintet package, which is considered by many to be a step above conventional HTIBs, its just that the amp is a real weakpoint (they die, as you've now learned))

If you've posted this a few hours earlier I probably would have done as you suggest.

However, I have already purchased some Logitech Z5500's so I will just be happy with them when they arrive.

The room they are being used in is very small so even the Z5500's are probably overkill.

Nov 27, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, I suggested the same, but he's already purchased something so thats apparently not an option (unless its a purchase you can cancel)

the Z-5500 sound quality is probably ~5/10, its on par with a mid-range HTIB, except the sub actually has some bass, but that isn't to say its quality

Well it turns out they needed to charge me an extra $50 for shipping, after the order had been confirmed :O

So I asked to cancel it.

At this rate, it would be cheaper to get an amp and a sub
biggrin.gif

So can I just use my current 6 Klipsch speakers with a receiver then buy a separate subwoofer and use that too? Any other suggestions on models/brands to look for?

Oh also, when looking for subs I see things like Passive, Amplified, Powered... Which do I need?

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 24
Passive means you need an amp to drive your sub. Probably not the best idea for someone on your budget.

Active/Amplified/Powered means that the sub has a built-in amp and requires a line-level imput, which is usually called the sub-out.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Passive means you need an amp to drive your sub. Probably not the best idea for someone on your budget.

Active/Amplified/Powered means that the sub has a built-in amp and requires a line-level imput, which is usually called the sub-out.

Ah I see.

Well I was thinking maybe the Sony SA-W305 (most likely not the best sub ever but the room its in is only 3 by 2 metres so it doesn't really need to be) and either the Pioneer Vsx817K or the NAD T743... All second hand of course.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:30 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably wanna go with a 10 inch sub, that Sony will sound terrible compared to the old Klipsch sub. Do they have Velodyne where you are?

Yeah, but not for a price within my budget. My new budget is $275USD. The receiver (NAD T743 is probably what I'll get) is $220USD so that only leaves $55 for the sub... Doesn't seem like it will be enough. I can't seem to get a receiver any cheaper though. TradeMe – New Zealand online auctions and classifieds. Browse, buy and sell online on trademe.co.nz is the most popular online auction site here.

Would it be better to get a good sub but average receiver?

Edit: Oh, some guy in a forum just offered to sell me this for $70USD http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2002/0702.html
Should I go for it?

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #14 of 24
I think you're making a good choice by allotting the majority of your budget to your receiver since it is both your DAC and amplification (assuming the NAD t743 is good?)

But I still think you should go for a sub amp instead of a whole new powered sub. You can hardly find a good sub driver for $55 let alone a powered one. Can you test if your old sub still works?

edit: 70 bucks for an 800$ sub, even used, sounds a little shady.

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:44 AM Post #15 of 24
Pioneer VSX817S AV Receiver for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

This looks nice, it has analog inputs too so you would be able to attach a surround sound card like an x-fi. Sometimes games are only five channel (they dont have the .1 sub output) so I ran the analog output to my receiver and run the sub off the front speakers using the speaker pass thru on the sub. Using a digital cable my music would have bass output on the sub but when I tried games there was no bass. Im not sure if this was specific to my system or not but I waould want analog inputs for the three cables comming out of your sound card (you will need adapter cables) and I would want a sub that has speaker inputs and outputs so you can pass the mains thru the sub.

His old sub works fine but merely replacing the amp section wont work because it will need speaker outputs for all the satellites. Its a six channel amp on that klipsch 5.1 see what I mean?

klipsch_ultra51_prev_sub_back_big.jpg

When you do get a sub it needs speaker jacks like this one or gaming is not going to work.

147422mc6.jpg

You also need to make sure your receiver has 6 channel analog inputs to connect a sound card.

avr146bhn2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back