My speaker system just exploded! :(
Nov 27, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chobint /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you're making a good choice by allotting the majority of your budget to your receiver since it is both your DAC and amplification (assuming the NAD t743 is good?)

But I still think you should go for a sub amp instead of a whole new powered sub. You can hardly find a good sub driver for $55 let alone a powered one. Can you test if your old sub still works?

edit: 70 bucks for an 800$ sub, even used, sounds a little shady.

I don't think I can test my old sub. The amp panel on the back of the sub tells me not to take it apart due to shock hazard so I don't really want to do that...

In real life I don't think that sub is $800... More like $150. And I don't think it's shady... I'm willing to take the risk anyway.

I'll ask the guy if it has speaker outputs.

Edit: Yes that sub does have speaker jacks. I think I'll buy it... The guy also owns some Denon D5000's so that's a good reason to trust him
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #17 of 24
Only reason I say this is because if you meet those 2 criteria then you can run it all analog from your sound card if gaming is a problem when using the sub out on the receiver. Good Luck.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #18 of 24
Dunno about you, but the 5.5 inch sub under my desk can do atleast 50Hz at a sizable volume.

All it is is a downfiring ported sub in a cabinet not very much larger than it is.

It really depends on the size of the room or the space your sub in going to be occuping.

EDIT: All of a sudden, I don't why I posted this...

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only reason I say this is because if you meet those 2 criteria then you can run it all analog from your sound card if gaming is a problem when using the sub out on the receiver. Good Luck.

Six channel analog?

What sort of cable would I need for that? Like a 3RCA to three mini plugs?

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Six channel analog?

Just a bunch of mini to RCA cables -- I think about 3?

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Six channel analog?

3 mini to 6 RCA. Something like this. I had to get 3 female mini to rca cables because I couldn't find a male cable long enough, but this is basically what you want.

(3) each

Monster%20Cable_Monster-Cable-IP400-1.5m-4.92-ft_300x250_s.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planar_head /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a bunch of mini to RCA cables -- I think about 3?

Ah right.
wink.gif

Well then. The NAD T743 has 5.1ch analog inputs and is (apparently) very very good. Plus I like NAD's philosophy of not having ANY unnecessary features like sound enhancers and whatnot.

The T743 and that DB Dynamics subwoofer should do fine with my Klipsch speakers. Thanks for everyones help
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back