My speaker quest continued - Heard some Martin Logans and JMLabs
Jan 20, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
In the HSU line the STF are for home theater use and lack important controls that VTF series has, for stereo use get VTF series.

THANK you, I've been saying the same thing for years on different audio sites. People seem intent on saving money and getting the STF for stereo usage. Maybe they will listen to you. I love HSU subs by the way, awesome bang for the buck.

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane
THANK you, I've been saying the same thing for years on different audio sites. People seem intent on saving money and getting the STF for stereo usage. Maybe they will listen to you. I love HSU subs by the way, awesome bang for the buck.

I have the STF-3 in max extension mode. What controls are lacking compared to the VTF-3 for stereo usage?

Jan 20, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by britishbane

I really wasn't aware of that when I bought the SFT2 a year ago. Now that I know, I regret the purchase; I'd rather have a good 2ch music rig than a great HT setup. Should've gotten the VTF3.

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigiPete
I have the STF-3 in max extension mode. What controls are lacking compared to the VTF-3 for stereo usage?

Well, looking at the website, the STF-3 does not have a max extension mode, so I'm not sure how your're currently in it.
smily_headphones1.gif

ST-3 back panel

VTF-3 back panel

looks like the difference is a "bass extension" switch. (and maybe the accompanying plug that blocks one port?)

-Dan

Jan 21, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #50 of 53
I got one of the last ones when HSu was offering them in max extension mode
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
Well, looking at the website, the STF-3 does not have a max extension mode, so I'm not sure how your're currently in it.
smily_headphones1.gif

ST-3 back panel

VTF-3 back panel

looks like the difference is a "bass extension" switch. (and maybe the accompanying plug that blocks one port?)

-Dan

Feb 11, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #51 of 53
OK, I've gotten some Taylo Reference Monitors and Tannoys Eyris DC3's in! The Taylos arrived first; they're perhaps slightly better than the Polk LSi9. Midrange is surprisingly a bit dry. Quite a bit of bass for a monitor, but it's not perfectly integrated - perhaps I'm asking too much of them in a room this size. Highs are decent but not spectacular. Wood veneer finish is excellent, overall looks are quite good.

The Tannoy Eyris DC3s - now I find myself falling in love with these speakers! Extremely well integrated from top to bottom - just like a great headphone. Warm, smooth overall sound. Imaging is phenomenal. Excellent dynamics. Great, emotional speakers that serve the music; reminds me of the L3000 in that respect. The icing is that the looks are also very sweet. It's an extremely sharp looking speaker. These are a significant step up from the Martin Logans, Polk LSi's, Tyler Taylos, and JMLabs Profiles that I've heard. For a list price of $2800 I'm extremely impressed (and considering that part of that is from importing overhead). These recently came up on audiogon, and based on my audition from a year ago I decided to snag them - glad I did!

Currently my speaker system is: Meridian G08 -> Sugden Headmaster -> PS Audio HCA-2 -> generic 11-gauge speaker cables (8 ft) -> Tannoys. Can't wait to hear how these speakers will perform with a better preamp and cables.

Feb 12, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #53 of 53
Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back