My speaker quest continued - Heard some Martin Logans and JMLabs
Jan 11, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Sound like you are heading toward the Legacy Classic.

From some of the things he has said in his two threads I would definitely agree. But, if for some reason they don’t work out you might want to consider trying monitors on a really good set of stands, and separate powered subwoofers. Vandersteen, Rel Acoustics, and ACI make great musical subwoofers; ACI, Von Schweikert, and Totem Acoustic make nice bookshelf speakers.

Jan 11, 2006 at 9:25 AM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
Disagree though on bass dynamics, there's plenty of bass but I found it to be slow & rather out of control. For instance, bass drum hits in "Little Amsterdam" by Tori Amos should be fast & tight with good impact, a good solid "THUMP". With the Concerto it was more like a "THEWAFOOMPH", not quite that bad but you get the idea.

When I A/Bed the Concerto with another speaker, it's competition was the Polk LSi9. The 9s have a midbass peak that sort of muddies the bass notes a little, so relative to that, the Concertos had excellent bass transients, IMO. Probably not as good as other bookshelves, but good enough at the time.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #18 of 53
Mike check out the Parasound A21. They go for under $2K on audiogon. Same size and style as the JC-1 but two channel amp of a little lesser quality. The reviews are very good.

Jan 11, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #19 of 53
To follow up on Crescendopower

I will mention another way to go that can cost much less than system with full range floor standing speakers.........high quality 2 way monitor speakers and quality powered sub.

I had been using several different full range speakers for 10-15yrs with large expensive system amplifiers, then few years ago just out of curiosity tried monitors/sub and never looked back.

Once you have turned over bass duties to sub with it's massive dedicated power amp you can buy much small higher quality 2 way speaker and smaller system amp needed.

I find the smaller speaker will image much better and visually take up much less space. Also sub controls give you some flexibility to control level/amount of bass response desired, key is to get quality fast sub designed for audiophile listening.

System 1 photo shows my set-up, will be hard to hear this in dealer show room since most are not savvy to this arrangement and will reduce money you need to spend there, anyway another way to acheive great sound.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
DarkAngel,
That is a really nice looking system. What do you cross the sub over at? Would you happen to know how much better the bass quality is on the VTF3 vs the STF2?

I run the monitors full range (no crossover between speaker and system amp) and have the sub blend in at @50hz using variable crossover frequency knob on back of sub.....easy to tune by ear while music is playing, adjust the subs variable crossover frequency and it will sound just right in a narrow band....that is you optimal setting.

In the HSU line the STF are for home theater use and lack important controls that VTF series has, for stereo use get VTF series.

Jan 11, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
To follow up on Crescendopower

I will mention another way to go that can cost much less than system with full range floor standing speakers.........high quality 2 way monitor speakers and quality powered sub.

Although I run full range speakers as well, my current favorite setup is a pair of Merlin TSM-MXs monitors coupled with a Velodyne DD-15, running through a TACT RCS 2.2x and Meridian G57. The Merlins provide perfect clarity for the mids and highs and the Velodyne is a flawless sub. I use the TACT for crossover settings and room correction.

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Although I run full range speakers as well, my current favorite setup is a pair of Merlin TSM-MXs monitors coupled with a Velodyne DD-15, running through a TACT RCS 2.2x and Meridian G57. The Merlins provide perfect clarity for the mids and highs and the Velodyne is a flawless sub. I use the TACT for crossover settings and room correction.

Sleestack, sounds like a winner!

If possible take time to list your audio system(s) equipment in public profile, be interested to see what all you have there......

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #24 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Sleestack, sounds like a winner!

If possible take time to list your audio system(s) equipment in public profile, be interested to see what all you have there......

Good idea. I'll do that some time today.

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:27 PM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
my current favorite setup is a pair of Merlin TSM-MXs monitors coupled with a Velodyne DD-15

Interesting! You're finding these days that you prefer the Merlins to the Epiphanys?

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:18 PM Post #26 of 53
Might want to consider of the Green Mountain Audio line of speakers, I heard a pair of their Europa's the other day and they were amazing for the price. I was impressed enough after that 3 hour listening session to go buy a pair on Audiogon.

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:16 PM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
Interesting! You're finding these days that you prefer the Merlins to the Epiphanys?

I've been using them more. Mostly b/c I've been doing most of my 2 channel listening in my office space rather than the HT room. The Epiphany's are in the HT room, where the Ref. 3s in the HT setup are getting most of the playing time.

Also one of my Epiphany's has an internal vibration that is distorting low frequencies. They are being replaced with a new piar, but until that happens, I dedcided to shut the Epiphany's down and enjoy the accuracy of the Merlins.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #28 of 53
is it possible to bypass the amp built into the martin logans and just bi-wire/amp using external equipment?

i dont like the idea of having to plug the speakers into the wall.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #29 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid
is it possible to bypass the amp built into the martin logans and just bi-wire/amp using external equipment?

There isn't an amp in Martin-Logans. What they have is a transformer or autoformer (can't remember which) that steps up the voltage so that it can drive the electrostatic panels, and a crossover to drive the bass module. The wallplugs are for providing the bias voltage to make the electrostatic panel work. In theory it's possible to run the panel straight of the high voltage plates on a custom built tube amp and drive the bass drivers with a conventional amp, using an external x-over to make it all work.

Jan 11, 2006 at 10:54 PM Post #30 of 53
I too have been on a speaker quest for some time and seem to have similar music tastes. For what it's worth I have narrowed my quest down to Ed Schilling's The Horn Shop- The Horn, Terry Cain's Abby's or for more $$$$Bens, Zu Druid MkIV. All three (or four) seem to fit your listening tastes well within your price range and will work real well with your system. These are all highly efficient speakers so they don't require alot of power to drive them. I have minimal exposure to these so you will need to do your own reading and listening. After all you are the ultimate judge of what is good (for you).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back