My Singlepower Supra Experience - Why mine almost blew up like a Hand Grenade (and yours might too)
Jul 31, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #61 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but isn't it possible to say something about the range of likely damage, given the likely range in the size of the caps in these amps?

This is the question that really needs to be answered, for all those Singlepower owners now wondering if they should continue using their amps. I have a hard time believing that a cap exploding within an enclosed chassis would cause much, if any, external damage, but the more electronics-savvy should chime in here.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #62 of 314
I don't mean to be hyperbolic, but these amps are dangerous and you need to get it checked. When I say explode like a hand grenade, I mean exactly that - the big power caps will burst and produce shrapnel at high velocities. That's one source of danger.

The other source of danger is my amp had over 500 VOLTS of power in it, and was rife with parts not built to withstand it. If the parts fail, or a lead decouples from the right part (which is more likely since they are "floating" in the case), you could potentially have 500 VOLTS exposure on the case itself. Think about that. The AC coming out of your wall is only 120 volts (240 for Europe), and you don't stick your fingers (or metal objects) inside a live electrical outlet, do you? Why not? Cause it can kill you. If 120v or 240v is dangerous, imagine what 530 volts will do.

Now, the question is, "Is your amp safer than mine is"? I cannot answer that. But given what I've seen inside of other Single Power amps, I personally would not be comfortable using any of the amps without getting them checked.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #63 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's nothing wrong with folks impressions, running parts out of spec does not necessarily equate with bad sound. The two are, at least in some cases, mutually exclusive. So don't go dismissing every word you've read, even Kevin will tell you that some of the amps sound good despite their engineering flaws.

for posterity.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #64 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If 120v or 240v is dangerous, imagine what 530 volts will do.

I'll tell you exactly what it will do. This was told to me by an electrician who worked on high power lines which run at 480V. He said 120V doesn't often kill people because it will push/throw you away from it if you make contact with it. 480V will make you stick to it so that you cannot let go. I'm not sure why this is, but it is more confirmation that such high voltage can easily kill you.

Jul 31, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #65 of 314
Jul 31, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #66 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the question that really needs to be answered, for all those Singlepower owners now wondering if they should continue using their amps. I have a hard time believing that a cap exploding within an enclosed chassis would cause much, if any, external damage, but the more electronics-savvy should chime in here.

Even if an explosion is contained within the chassis, there's a chance that the damage would short high voltage to the chassis. It might also fry your source and/or headphones.

The amp could catch fire, as well.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #67 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if an explosion is contained within the chassis, there's a chance that the damage would short high voltage to the chassis. It might also fry your source and/or headphones.

The amp could catch fire, as well.

Those seem to be very legitimate concerns, agreed.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:57 AM Post #68 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost sent mikhail a pair of these to build into an amp. I'm now glad that i
did not.
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/bigcap2.jpg

Jesus... they're rather intense~

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #69 of 314
I liked my Singlepower Extreme, and thought it was a great sounding unit! But I have allready taken it out of service, because of what I have read on this forum. So now my Decware Csp2 is my main headphone amplifier, and the Singlepower Extreme is hidden away. It`s about 1400 dollars waste!

Jul 31, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #72 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by arirug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I liked my Singlepower Extreme, and thought it was a great sounding unit! But I have allready taken it out of service, because of what I have read on this forum. So now my Decware Csp2 is my main headphone amplifier, and the Singlepower Extreme is hidden away. It`s about 1400 dollars waste!

A big loss, but not nearly as much as some other members have lost in this fiasco...

I had one of the first MPX3 custom built and have been using it for it seems atleast 5 years. It is my only amp and if I would take it out of service I would have nothing to listen to (waiting on ED BA). If it's been working for 5 years without issue do you feel it is still safe to use?

Does anyone know relatively what size capacitors are in the MPX3 (there are two sticking out of the chassis on mine) and how long it would take to discharge? Those pictures are appauling and I want to make sure my unit is still safe to use.

I cannot understand people saying that they sound bad is because of the terrible wiring job. I haven't a clue what the wiring job is like inside mine, but it sure sounds good.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #73 of 314
^^ well he certainly hasnt paid much heed to crosstalk or EMI interference, because the power lines, transformers and signal wires are one huge rats nest. that certainly isnt ideal. of course i'm sure they are still capable of sounding great due to the errrmmm... well designed circuit, but they were obviously capable of sounding much better, had quality components been used and those pitfalls been given the thought they deserve.

Jul 31, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #74 of 314
Quote:

Originally Posted by arirug /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup. I did exactly the same thing last night. Moved the CSP-2 to be my main headphone amp. MPX3 now sits next to the Extreme, disconnected and useless.

I'm not confident that the local tech I use to fix stuff is up to the task on this, so I am still trying to decide whether to try to have these looked at/fixed up, or to dumpster them.

Jul 31, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #75 of 314
Well I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight. I have a Maestro and have had it for several years and it sounds good to me, certainly better than the Grace I recently purchased. Anyway I will open her up and take some pictures and see what I have on my hands. What is the current status of Singlepower? In business out of business etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back