My Single Power ES1 has arrived (big 56k warning)
Oct 1, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #32 of 104
What is the typology of this power amp (other than it is NOT auto-biased)? And what is the power output per channel?

Oct 1, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #33 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the typology of this power amp (other than it is NOT auto-biased)? And what is the power output per channel?

That is not a power amp. It's an amp for electrostatic headphones but I do see where the confusion might arise.

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #35 of 104
Sorry Team, I was laid up sick the end of Saturday and all Sunday. I have managed to crawl into work today, so we will see how long I last.

Anyway thanks for all the posts and questions. I don't have a lot of answers for you at this point. I did not order the amp. I bought it off of 'bdh', so I am not sure of all the options of the original purchase. He made me a great deal so I jumped at it.

How is the amp doing? Running 24/7 right now. The bass that was not very controlled to start with, started to get down right flabby at about 6 hours in. And every once and a while, when I would make it out of bed and down stairs it was just as bad or worse.

So late last night I tried an experiment. I swapped the primary and secondary tubes. I had it setup with:
Front - JAN-CTL-6188/6SU7WGT TUNG_SOL
Middle - Sylvania 6BL7GTA
Back 4 - Mullard EL34 (Russian 05 08 and 05 02 - single getter ring)

So I powered down and swapped the Sylvania's to the front. Okay then... bass crud was gone. My feeling was the setup adjustments were made with this configuration.

(NOTE: any help on setting the adjustments would be appreciated. I don't have a working meter right now, but RadioShack is on the way home).

I checked it again later last night, and then again this morning, and it seems to be holding well. Detail is still spectacular.....and bass is under control

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations .... the new power supply is awesome! Do you know if the power supply has dual 14 amp or dual 20 amp transformers?

Thanks sacd lover - Nope, I don't. I figure that an email, might be in order to find out what is in my amp....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question though: is the power switch on the power supply crooked or is it just the perspective?

I am still not sure. I took a close look at it, and I thought that it was slightly off, but then again, I look from a different perspective, and it looks dead on. Oh, well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What upgrades does your amp have?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Enjoy and I can't wait to hear your future impressions.

Good luck on you amp build Kang. As far as upgrades, other than the PS I don't know of any. Considering the price, it might have just been the base level unit. It does have a stepped attenuator, not sure if that is an upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice amp. Looks like with the power tubes can be biased so you should be able to use a number of different types from the Kt88 to 6550 and so on. Your input tubes are not matched though. Different construction and time of build.

I noticed that as well. I am pretty much treating these as burn-in tubes. I will be in the market for some Mullard El34 (xf2)'s at some point, and I might replace the input tubes at the same point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats Mikey! That looks super sweet! Enjoy in good health!

[size=x-small]That is kind of funny considering that I am pretty sick right now....
smily_headphones1.gif
[/size]

[size=x-small]Thanks again guys....[/size]

[size=x-small]Cheers,[/size]

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #36 of 104
Enjoy the ES-1 for us. Mine should be here in about two weeks. Can't wait.

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #37 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Front - JAN-CTL-6188/6SU7WGT TUNG_SOL
Middle - Sylvania 6BL7GTA
Back 4 - Mullard EL34 (Russian 05 08 and 05 02 - single getter ring)

So I powered down and swapped the Sylvania's to the front. Okay then... bass crud was gone. My feeling was the setup adjustments were made with this configuration.

(NOTE: any help on setting the adjustments would be appreciated. I don't have a working multimeter right now, but RadioShack is on the way home).

Follow-up, the new tube configuration is working out very well. After several listening sessions last night, the bass is tight, and detailed. The overall presentation is lively, and fast.

While using the standard STAX 006t amp. I got good sound, but the O2's never disappeared, I was always listening to the headphones. The ES-1 has so much control over the O2's that they disappear most of the time when I am listening, and the music and soundstage comes through. It is only when there is a huge bass note, that they appear again, as they vibrate on my head, pulling me back to reality. Live recordings (or live studio recordings) play very well with the high level of dynamics.

The burn-in continues.

Cheers,

Oct 2, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #38 of 104
I had the large Plitron transformer upgrade in mine which results in the large power supply. Thing ran basically at room temperature. The audio section was the warm section for me. What's the downside to stacking?

Oct 2, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #39 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the large Plitron transformer upgrade in mine which results in the large power supply. Thing ran basically at room temperature. The audio section was the warm section for me. What's the downside to stacking?

I think, as Stritzer stated, it is the vibration of the tubes that can effect the sound, not so much the heat.

I run my Xaing Sheng at work, and I find the vibrations of a desk fan can effect the sound. Transformers can hum and vibrate.

Cheers,

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #40 of 104
If you bother to have a separate PSU then it makes no sense to put it underneath the amp. You are moving the transformers with their flux away from the sensitive audio signal and distance is the trick. Stacking will also cause a small reverse pendulum effect on the tubes as the tubes are at the top of a vibrating stack. Cones help on speakers to minimize the transfer to the floor but it's not the other way around so the vibration is transfered up and into the amp.

Oct 2, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #41 of 104
How about for solid state amps since I'm stacking mine right now.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #42 of 104
SS is by no means immune to vibrations but it doesn't suffer as much either. It depends a lot on the construction i.e. how wiring is manged and wheter or not wires are damped. If you can try them side by side or something like that it would be worth a shot for a cheap tweak.

Oct 2, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #44 of 104
Edit: Was sort of a double post.

Oct 2, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #45 of 104
It does but it depends on the individual component and how it is constructed. The general rule of thumb is to never, ever stack components even if the manufacturer intended them to be stacked. A cheap rack is very good upgrade and a SRA rack is one of the best solutions you can get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back