My Single Power ES1 has arrived (big 56k warning)
Sep 29, 2007 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

mikeymad

1000+ Head-Fier
Well at about 11:30 this morning FEDEX ground arrived with my ES1.

There are a lot of picks here (had to cut it down to 30). I don't remember seeing anything about the new power supply before.

es1_01.jpg

es1_03.jpg

es1_05.jpg

es1_06.jpg

es1_07.jpg

es1_08.jpg

es1_09.jpg

es1_10.jpg

es1_11.jpg

es1_12.jpg

es1_13.jpg

Okay what does this thing look like...???

es1_14.jpg

es1_16.jpg

The Tubes....

es1_17.jpg

es1_18.jpg

es1_20.jpg

OUCH...... I have to look into what to do about this....

es1_21.jpg

es1_22.jpg

NOW, that is a power supply....!!!!!

es1_25.jpg

es1_27.jpg

es1_28.jpg

es1_29.jpg

es1_30.jpg

Size next to the Amp section.... WOW

es1_31.jpg

es1_32.jpg

Tubes in. Almost ready for first power-on.
es1_33.jpg

es1_34.jpg

es1_35.jpg

Tubes warming up
es1_36.jpg

es1_38.jpg

Now this is still just in the warm up stage. The bass is not controlled yet. The detail that I am getting is still spectacular.

I will write up more as time goes one. But I need to give this sucker a couple of weeks at least, before I get too hard on it.

Cheers,

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 104
Let me be the first one to gratulate you!
biggrin.gif

That power supply looks totally different to the ones I have earlier seen. Is it some kind of special build, or is this the new standard?

Sorry about the shipping damage though. Hope you get it fixed...

Sep 29, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 104
Yeah, I was just as suprised as the rest of you. I was expecting the stacked version that I have seen before.

I bought this from 'bdh' and he mentioned the 'new' or upgraded power supply.

Cheers,

Sep 30, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #8 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeymad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I was just as suprised as the rest of you. I was expecting the stacked version that I have seen before.

Congratulations! Great photos!! The PS is so massive the lights must dim in your neighborhood when you flip the switch.

What upgrades does your amp have?

The audio section of my es1 is done, and now work begins on the PS. When my new toy arrives from Mikhail, I'll let you know about the PS style.

Enjoy and I can't wait to hear your future impressions.

Sep 30, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #9 of 104
Whoa congrats on the amp! Singlepower amps are infiltrating the Bay Area! Who'll be next?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the amp!

They might have changed the PSU design because people were indeed stacking them...
blink.gif
It's not really a good idea.

Did the previous PSU radiate too much heat to stack with the amp section? Too bad, I preferred that design and how it looked stacked.

Sep 30, 2007 at 8:46 AM Post #10 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did the previous PSU radiate too much heat to stack with the amp section? Too bad, I preferred that design and how it looked stacked.

The psu does radiate heat and also vibration. Tubes do not like vibration.

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:00 PM Post #12 of 104
Nice stuff you got there. Still way out of my league but I'm aspiring to eventually own a setup like that
biggrin.gif

One question though: is the power switch on the power supply crooked or is it just the perspective? For me, that would ruin the whole package (yeah, I'm an anal perfectionist
tongue.gif
).

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 104
Ray's (should be Mikhail) power supplies just keep getting more robust. I guess like doing good, you can never have a stuff enough power supply. I wonder if there is a way around the requirement to have such power supplies and still maintain the sound?

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #15 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray's power supplies just keep getting more robust. I guess like doing good, you can never have a stuff enough power supply. I wonder if there is a way around the requirement to have such power supplies and still maintain the sound?

Not really no. Many engineers believe switching supply's are good enough for audio use but they sound like crap. Bigger frame transformers with plaety of chokes, really big paper in oil caps and tube rectifiers is the best way to go. Costs a fortune though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back