My short, semi-first impressions of using the Gilmore Lite with HD650s
Jul 25, 2007 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
Granted I really haven't used the HD650 with a different amp (unless you feel like bringing up my iPod's headphone jack), I'd just like to say that this is amazing. This setup has all the details and almost everything I loved about the K701, and I'm hearing the highs so incredibly well, with absolutely no sibilance. If that's considered a veil, then that's shocking to me that it would be considered a 'con.' Maybe I have my source to thank for all those details and weakening of this veil...either way, this setup has made me forget all about my former RS-1, K701, HD600 and DT770/80. I doubt that the Gilmore Lite has transformed this headphone into something it's not, but I certainly feel like they work some magic together. From what I've read, the Gilmore condenses some of the Sennheiser's soundstage, but I don't have any real way to confirm that quite yet. When I get a giant tube amp someday I'll get back to you
wink.gif

I highly recommend the Gilmore Lite with the HD650 for beginner-intermediates like myself
biggrin.gif

Any of you that have tried this combination, feel free to chime in if you have an opinion
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 25
Thanks for your impression!

Sounds about right to me. I guess the HD650 can be dreadful with the wrong stuff in front of it. I've heard no veil with good solid state amps, although I have with a Creek and a couple of integrated amplifier headphone jacks.

Amazing how people still drive the 650 half-arsedly, and then complain about it.....................

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 25
Ditto..it took my HD650s to the next level. Whereas changing the cable and source helped with that "veil" people talk about, I found what was still prevalent was a rather sluggish presentation. The Gilmore Lite w/DPS definitely helped in that respect!

Jul 25, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ditto..it took my HD650s to the next level. Whereas changing the cable and source helped with that "veil" people talk about, I found what was still prevalent was a rather sluggish presentation. The Gilmore Lite w/DPS definitely helped in that respect!

Xenithon, your sig says HD650 with the oracale...you may have already explained this, but what's up with that?
tongue.gif

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #9 of 25
Glad to see another happy Glite user.

Jul 25, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #10 of 25
Yeah it's a great little amp for my purposes
cool.gif
Any of you guys tested to see if the dedicated power supply makes enough of a difference to justify the price tag? It's nice and shiny but I don't know if it would make a difference to me at all sonically

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #11 of 25
In your opinions, is there a better synergy with the 650/HeadAmp Gilmore Lite combo than with the 650/HeadAmp GS-1 combo, or are they about equal, synergy wise?
Just curious.

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by elbrickodaviso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that the Gilmore Lite has transformed this headphone [HD650] into something it's not, but I certainly feel like they work some magic together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds about right to me. I guess the HD650 can be dreadful with the wrong stuff in front of it. I've heard no veil with good solid state amps, although I have with a Creek and a couple of integrated amplifier headphone jacks. Amazing how people still drive the 650 half-arsedly, and then complain about it.....................

Elbrickodaviso, I have to agree with Greggf -- your G-Lites are probably making the difference. I've experienced the same as Greggf -- the 650 needs full-arsed power.

Jul 27, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for your impression!

Amazing how people still drive the 650 half-arsedly, and then complain about it.....................

Agreed!!!

Goes for any of the Senns ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back