My Senn HD650 impressions
Jun 25, 2010 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HariBhushan

100+ Head-Fier
As of last night; June 24, 8:45pm, I am officially a HD650 owner. So please add me to 'Sennheiser HD650 appreciation' thread so we can have some good laughs, discussions and some late night drinks here and there.
smily_headphones1.gif

I actually bought these used, but the first user was selling his in 'like new' condition and only had 15 hours on them, so I decided to jump on them for a little extra savings.  
biggrin.gif

I think these headphones look extremely slick.Like a fragile baby that you want to keep caring for. They look much better in person than from the pictures (IMO) I do feel they could've been reconstructed with better material to make them more strong/tankish, but GREAT nonetheless !

As far as 'how they sound'?  Simply phenomenal.

Warmed up my Woo Audio 3 tubes a bit and began the testing !

I put on some Marvin Gaye albums and it was one ride that i will never forget
smily_headphones1.gif
  Everything was so clean, refined, separation and rendering was flawless.I'm a big Marvin fan and  If you heard this guy's voice in live avenues/jazz clubs, you should know it's tremendously hard to forge and playback his tracks with the same emotion.  SCREW THAT, the Senn HD650's did a fantastic job at driving his vocals. 'Soon I'll be loving you' was a warm tease that brought me closer and closer and closer and closer and closer and closer to the music
beerchug.gif
. My DT880 came close, but just was not musical enough. I just don't want to get into the beyers treble right now, I just don't want to talk about it on a Sennheiser thread : ) 

There was so much emotion in last night's listening session.  I played everything from Marvin Gaye, to Norah Jones to Michael Jackson's greatest hits, to OceanLab, to Armin Van Burren to Jay Sean to basically everything you can think of and NO INFAMOUSE TREBLE SPIKES like the beyers had. Everything was just so ultra smooth and finger snapping delicious. The bass on these puppies was nice and deep. I agree with plonter tho, on electronic and some hip hop, there was not quite enough mustard on the 'oomh' , but i got accustomed to the Senn sound and now there's no going back to anything else.  It was just me, the music and the red wine. everything else was blocked out
smily_headphones1.gif

SOUNDSTAGE=  Roaming Treble or Audio Nirvana?
bigsmile_face.gif

If there was 1 gif in the world to describe it,   .. It would most definitely be this one

2fb14bb2_agents%20bullet%20deflection.gif

seriously, i was spotting instruments, tracking instrumentals, knowing where the piano, triangles would strike,  feeling the kick and cymbals was aligned very well and exceptional. The violin strokes felt so god damn real and everything within the first 5 hours of listening was so 5.1 surround sound typish. and best part is...... NO FATIGUING whatsoever : )

Great night with the Sennheiser's.  I love it
biggrin.gif

I hate my DT990 now .The tonality's just way, way off. It's like everything you'd hear in real life, except moved up the frequency spectrum. Everything's too sharp as well. The bass and soundstage are terrific, but there is just way too much treble shizzle for me to reciprocate. And there is too much colouring as well, I hate my beyers now because the Senn's have brought  so much pleasure to my ears.Overall, my HD650's blow these away. The HD650's make me want to spend more on my setup; the DT990's make me think my setup was a huge waste of money. There's quite a few people who dislike the Beyer line besides myself, though it does have its fans. Now i know why B&H had that $230 sale, it was to get rid of these terribly haywire/experiments gone wild headphones
tongue.gif

Needless to say, both my DT880 and DT990 are going straight to the garbage after some more A/B testing and a couple more expirments here and there. Btw, i find the HD650 comfort more comfortable than the beyers. Is this strage to you guys? 

Overall, AMAZING night with the Sennheiser HD650's last night. I listened to them for 10 hours straight with just bathroom and midtime food breaks from 10 pm to 8 am, and i just couldn't go to sleep. I love these headphones so much and it's only been burned in for a total for 37 hours, can these get any better?
biggrin.gif

sorry there's no pics for you guys, my camera is busted =\ . 

Jun 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Fantastic!  That is the general conclusion I made with these brilliant cans.  I think there is a marked difference in the sensitivity of an individuals HRTF response to higher frequencies and It just so happens that our sensitivities are somewhat similar.  Also there are recordings that just plainly suit one can over another.  Nevertheless, congratulations.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Needless to say, both my DT880 and DT990 are going straight to the garbage after some more A/B testing and a couple more expirments here and there.

I'll gladly take them.
wink_face.gif

congrats on finding headphones that suit your music and taste. :)

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:

I'll gladly take them.
wink_face.gif

congrats on finding headphones that suit your music and taste. :)

yes dcpoor, i will def let you know if i am going to be selling them, 1 more person pm'd me asking if i was going to sell them, so i will see first. The DT990 will be the first one to be sold tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 9
The 990s weren't quite that bad...I'd have kept mine for techno-ish music and games if I could afford to keep two pairs of good cans.

I just got my 650s last night and so far so good.  The seem to match my own hearing quite well.  They don't get in the way of the music and just let you listen and relax.

Of course I had plenty of good things to say the day after I got the DT990/600s and the D2000s, but I changed my mind and returned them later.  Hopefully these will work out.

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Wow man, very nice writeup and impression. It's always good to get some new cans that fit into the genres of music you like and stuff; I felt the same way when I got my K702s; albeit the sound signature wasn't the same as what you experienced, the emotions and feelings for those cans are similar to what you stated.

Oh, and they'll just get better with burn-in :) 

Jun 25, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Awesome writeup man! This makes me more excited to hear what the 650s sound like :) Oh, and the DT880s :wink:

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 9
What an enthusiastic writeup!!  Refreshing to read.  The HD650's deserve it too.  You have a great handle on, and appreciation for, their strengths.

Happy listening!! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 9
Definitely a very interesting and enthusiastic write up.

Would love to see an update from you after 100-150+ hours of burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back