my se530s broke again and I need your help
Jan 23, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #61 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been thinking about this and a few things don't add up for me in regards to this explanation. First off, I don't have oily skin, in fact I tend to fight rather dry skin. Second, when I noticed the cable on one side was cracked/split or whatever you want to call it I also noticed that the soft plastic piece on the top of the driver housing where the cable enters was actually coming away from the housing. It was only a matter of days before that came completely off revealing what appeared to be an older crack because the wire itself was showing a bit of green. That part of the cable didn't actually even touch my skin because it was covered by the soft plastic piece, plus it wouldn't even move as much as other parts of the cable because it's would again be limited by the soft plastic piece.

there could well be another explanation or reason i am not certain ofcourse as to why the cable issue happens, im just going by what shure themselves say, and it does seem to help mine when i wipe the cable down and bend it the opposite way now and then. again im not sure what people do but i get the feeling if you never ever bend the cable about a bit where it meets the ear then it will get stiff and more likely split.

you picked up on a very interesting point when u say the black grip at the top of the earphones seems to be coming away, i questioned shure about this myself and they pointed me to this SE530 Sound Isolating Earphones
and they said it is actually normal for the grip to appear to be coming away from the earphones but it was designed this way so the grip would be flexible when pushed against the ear when the earphones are put inside the ear which makes sence because if it was firmly on and very tight then force put upon it when inserting in the ear would put pressure on the connection to the earphone everytime...so, im not sure why yours came apart completely, something tells me you may have decided to test this connection with your own force test but i dunno.

but yes moving on, have a look closely at the demo and rotate the earphones so you can see the back of the earphones and you can clearly see the black grip the cable enters has a wider gap one side than the other, and you will probly find the opposite earphone actually is the same but the gap will be on the other side, i wouldnt advise you try pulling it apart tho to see how strong it is i mean who would

Jan 23, 2008 at 1:55 PM Post #62 of 91
No, I didn't force or test anything in regards to the grip as you call it. Before this I had read a bit about the cable problems but didn't keep on them I just tried to be careful with them and not stress them by bending them too much and always carried them in the case, etc. It seems now that bending them a bit might actually be good for them but alas I didn't know that at the time. In regards to the grip I only noticed it was pulling away from the housing after I noticed the first cable crack and inspected the wires for others. At this point I noticed the grip on the opposite phone was about half off. I tried to be careful with it but it came completely away after a couple days of normal use. I'm also sure I've read of others that have had this problem as well.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #63 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by uncletank88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my idea, buy a pair of Se500's from an authorized retailer to obtain an invoice and return the purchased pair for a refund.

Problem solved.

Fry's carries the SE530 and their return policy is bulletproof.

(hint hint)

redface.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #64 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I didn't force or test anything in regards to the grip as you call it. Before this I had read a bit about the cable problems but didn't keep on them I just tried to be careful with them and not stress them by bending them too much and always carried them in the case, etc. It seems now that bending them a bit might actually be good for them but alas I didn't know that at the time. In regards to the grip I only noticed it was pulling away from the housing after I noticed the first cable crack and inspected the wires for others. At this point I noticed the grip on the opposite phone was about half off. I tried to be careful with it but it came completely away after a couple days of normal use. I'm also sure I've read of others that have had this problem as well.

that is unfortunate, sorry to hear about your problems. i call it the grip because its the bit you should grip when taking the phones out, i think shure call it the grip also, i dunno lol i could be wrong
biggrin.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #65 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx20001 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is unfortunate, sorry to hear about your problems. i call it the grip because its the bit you should grip when taking the phones out, i think shure call it the grip also, i dunno lol i could be wrong
biggrin.gif

Well I did receive a replacement pair, apparently just under the wire, but these latest developments do have me wondering about the future that's for sure.

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:45 PM Post #66 of 91
What I am going to do is buy a pair from a retail store with a return policy, then swap my broken ones, and swallow the restocking fee.

Its worth it to get a brand new pair + 2 years of warranty. I'll let you guys know how it went.

Jan 23, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #67 of 91
Please do. I have a package from UPS awaiting me this evening. I provided my billing account for repairs but was never contacted by Shure's dept. I'm curious to see if they returned it or if I somehow received a new box.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #68 of 91
Sad to see a company as old and famous as Shure just crapping on their custumors.....

I have bougth a e-500 from ebay about a year ago and the only reason I did that (it was an expensive thing) was that I had read here on headfi of their worldclass service and because of thet not really worried about warranty issues, otherwise I would have bougth a product that is possible to get in my homecountry...

The wires are still good, but I seldom use them, I really do not care about how they sound, but that is another issue for another thread...

But it really stinks the way Shure acts, overpriced headphones and crappy service schould not go hand in hand....

luckyli mine is bougth in the EU and we have law about this kind of things and I do not think that Shure would crap on those too, but who knows ???

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #69 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I am going to do is buy a pair from a retail store with a return policy, then swap my broken ones, and swallow the restocking fee.

Its worth it to get a brand new pair + 2 years of warranty. I'll let you guys know how it went.

I personally don't think this is right. Do as you please...

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #70 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Off the cuff ... I would have to agree.

Yet considering the fact that Shure, Inc. should easily be able to confirm whether a set of SE530's is authentic or not...

And considering they print the manufacture date on the Y cable...

And since a warranty should simply be a warranty of manufacture and not necessarily where the manufactured item was purchased (this is the norm, no?)...

And if dealing with a company like Fry's Electronics, which automatically sends ALL returned headphones back to the manufacturer (legal/hygiene reasons)...

Then in essence one could rationalize a skewed sort of ethical support for such a move as you are simply making good on what you obviously felt the company was providing when you purchased the gear: a two year warranty. Period.

You get a new set of IEM's, the old, faulty set go back to the manufacturer, no souls lost in the long run.

smily_headphones1.gif

Of course, it would be problematic for a company to offer all warranty services off of manufactured date imprints sense many users could buy a product today that was manufactured a year ago.

But in the case of a freaking 500 dollar pair of IEM's, and if a person simply has lost/misplaced their receipt, it would seem to me that an authenticity check combined with a manufacture date within two years of the return for service should nonetheless suffice.

On the other hand ...

If one expects to place their damaged IEM's into a returned purchase box and then have that set go back on the shelf for re-sale ... well now then you've really got to pause at the gates, so to speak, so as to really consider the moral slant.

I mean. That's about as lame as it gets ... putting damaged goods intentionally back out into circulation.

I'm going to go the Fry's route, myself. Simply to get a receipt, not to switch anything out. I'm happy with my ebay purchased SE530's, but I do want a hard copy receipt from a major vendor so as to guarantee warranty service.

Gonna purchase then return them the next day. No restock fee. Full refund.

I've returned two sets of IEM's to Fry's and have spoken extensively with the customer service rep on how they treat returned headphones (straight back to the manufacturer).

I'm off to my philosophy course now ...

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #71 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really don't think there is anything wrong with it, first of all thats what restocking fees are for, to prevent these things. I am probably going to pay a fee, I am not stealing anything, I am just getting what I should have gotten from shure. Yea a bit of hassle for the retailer, but thats shures fault not mine.

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #72 of 91
Well, for a bit of good news for Shure.

I sent in my headphones earlier last week and just received a new pair of E530PTH's from UPS.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately for this wonderful set of headphones, I'm moving away from a portable setup.

Even so, much gratitude to Shure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do. I have a package from UPS awaiting me this evening. I provided my billing account for repairs but was never contacted by Shure's dept. I'm curious to see if they returned it or if I somehow received a new box.

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:52 AM Post #74 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by JAG87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't think there is anything wrong with it, first of all thats what restocking fees are for, to prevent these things. I am probably going to pay a fee, I am not stealing anything, I am just getting what I should have gotten from shure. Yea a bit of hassle for the retailer, but thats shures fault not mine.

Restocking fees are for working returns. I'm not even going to try and convince you. Just do whatever you want.

Jan 24, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #75 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironman64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, for a bit of good news for Shure.

I sent in my headphones earlier last week and just received a new pair of E530PTH's from UPS.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately for this wonderful set of headphones, I'm moving away from a portable setup.

Even so, much gratitude to Shure.

Hope you don't see a bill on the credit card you gave them...

And regarding Fry's.. or any other retailer.. If you buy the product, make a copy of the reciept, then return it un-opened, it goes back on the shelf.. you have a reciept.. the copy of which is un-marked regarding any return.
The retailer is out nothing but a little paperwork.

Shure has created this mess... If you read the OP post.. he recieved this set from Shure directly as a replacement only a few months ago. They are not honoring warrantee on their own shipment of product... for which they obviously have record of. In this case, I understand swapping the product.. the opened product will go back to the manufacturer.. they will get back what they should fix anyway. Some retailers charge a re-stock fee to cover their expenses in handling this kind of thing, which the OP is willing to pay.
Other retailers choose to do this as a courtesy.. their choice. In any case the opened box is not going back out on the retail shelf without being re-worked. Going the reciept route isn't really much of an option.. except for the future !! (in case the cables or something else fails over the next 2 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back