My Schiit Lyr with NOVIB 9 pin socket saver with damping base
Oct 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

J&J

100+ Head-Fier
I purchased the socket savers from Tubemonger for the purpose of raising the 6N1Ps (run hot) to allow more cooling. The result is the chassis is much cooler, removing tubes is easier and sq no change maybe even a little more detail?  When removing a tube, the new base tends to lift off, so I gently hold it down with a thin Wood stick NOT METAL .                                       WARNING!!!.     NEVER STICK ANYTHING METAL IN THIS OR ANY AMP EVEN IF OFF (remember the caps)

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 11
Hi J&J,

I just ordered a couple of these from Tubemonger. Any issues to report since starting this thread? Have you tried listening without them and then popping 'em in to see if you could detect any sonic differences? Were they hard to insert? I guess I'll be finding out myself soon enough. With all the Lyr owners on here I'm surprised more people haven't tried these out. If there is no detectable sonic difference, using these seem like a win/win... cooler chassis and more tube glow!

beerchug.gif

J

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
why can't u stick any metal stuff in it even when it's off?

and also what did u use the raise it?
http://www.tubemonger.com/TRIODE_FLIPPER_with_Vibration_Reduction_Base_p/triodeflipper.htm
is this the one?

Just a note on this (though it seems nobody is really interested in this thread), I checked with Jason @ Schiit on using these and he said that while he personally wouldn't bother, just make sure you get the socket saver and not the Triode Flipper (could be bad news) as in the above link. Oh, and definitely don't stick any metal "stuff" in there... ever.

beerchug.gif

May 21, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #7 of 11
Hey.. I think im gonna need something similar. Are you sure there is no difference in SQ? Will this work with my CV2492 Mullards (which are now becoming microphonic 
triportsad.gif
)? They need an extension and damping. Will this add to damping and will it help the heating issue?

May 21, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #8 of 11
The set up as shown in initial post sounds great with all my cans.  I think it looks cool and whether it sounds any better I think it does just because I invested some more bucks but again the 6nip glow makes it worth while. J&J

May 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Got my set of Socket Savers from TubeMonger a couple weeks ago and have been really pleased. Easier access and better cooling for the tubes.

Only downside is the top of one Socket Saver is now recessed about 1/4 inch, making the tubes uneven. Not sure how that happened...
frown.gif

May 8, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi everyone,
I am looking for this for my Schiit Valhalla 2. Just for cooling capability and looks. Only thing similar are these from the link at 25 bucks each, that's a hundred for all four of my tubes, not gonna pay that. Anyone else purchased this or some other tube risers similar??? Please let me know!
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back