My Review on the VSONIC R04 Standard Edition
Apr 3, 2010 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

MSV_A

New Head-Fier
[size=medium]VSONIC R04 (Standard Edition):[/size]

So I am sitting in the spring sun on my balcony smoking a cigar and listen to my favourite music and writing down my thoughts on the new VSONIC R04 Standard Edition and thought I would share it with you guys.
beerchug.gif

They are only released in China so far but will be released in other countries. Right now they cost 500 Yuan in China, which is about 55 Euro / 73 USD.

henriksson

[size=medium]Package:[/size]
Good looking package. It is the same type that VSONIC R02proII got, but a bit bigger. I like the magnetic lock on the package, makes it easy to open and close.
I had some bumps on the package when they were delivered, would not expect anything else when they were shipped from China to Sweden, but they were packaged well with a lot of plastic protection. And the headphone is in no danger of being injured while shipping.

henriksson
henriksson

henriksson

[size=medium]Accessories:[/size]
I was a bit disappointed with the accessories, first of there were no storage / protecting case or box. Another thing that I miss a lot is a cable runner you can put behind you ear, since the headphone is an over the ear model and don't have a memory cable it would help a lot for the fit. The only information about the headphone in the package was a pretty bad printed
small note on Chinese. A shirt clip is not included, which I miss a lot.
The foam tip that comes with the headphones is in a gray color, which means that all dirt will show after a few times using them. I prefer black color on my foam tips.
NOTE: These headphones are only sold on the Chinese market right now, so my sample has the Chinese accessories. I have been told that for the international release they will add some accessories like storage box and shirt clip etc.

China standard:
-4 sets (S/M/M/L) silicone tips
-1 set foam tips
-1 set bi-flange tips
-Manual on Chinese and warranty card

henriksson

[size=medium]Build Quality:[/size]
The build quality seems very good overall. The cable has a good thickness and an impressing rough feeling to it, it truly is very great quality. The 3.5mm plug also has a good quality; it is L-shaped witch I like more than a straight one. The headphone seems strong and sustainable and I don't worry that they would break any time sooner or later. The design of the earphone is a bit special but I thing they look professional, and they were smaller in real life than I thought after seeing them on pictures.

henriksson
henriksson

[size=medium]Fit and Comfort:[/size]
The R04 is firs of an over the ear headphone and right out of the box I got an easy and good fit. I can wear these for hours without any discomfort. I really like the form of the ear tips that comes with the R04s, they goes a bit deeper in the ear than the usual tips. I noticed pretty quickly though that I had some problems to keep the cable behind the ears, one of the sides always popped over the ear and I had to put it back all the time, annoying. This is because these headphones don't have a memory cable, and they don’t come with a cable runner to put behind your ear either. I have tested to wear the earphones with cable straight down and it works ok, you don’t get as good fit when wearing them over the ear, but it is ok. Thanks to the shape of the earphone they are very nice to wear under a hat or helmet without getting any discomfort.
The R04 has a comfort feature that I have not seen in any earphone before, I believe that this is the world’s first earphone with this feature. The speaker where the tips sit is movable, multi angle. That means is you have problems fitting earphones in general this might help you, you can point the tips in different directions to get the best fit.

henriksson

[size=medium]Isolation & Microponics:[/size]
The R04 does a great job of isolating. Microphonics is low in the cable if you wear them over the ear, a bit more if you are wearing them cable down.

[size=medium]Sound Quality:[/size]

Technical Specifications:
-Type: Closed-end, high-dynamic
-Driver: 11mm CCAW Driver Unit
-Impedance: 24Ω +/- 10%
-Sensitivity: 105dB / 1mW
-Frequency Range: 10-24,000Hz
-Distortion: <= 1% @ 105dB
-Channel imbalance <= 5dB at 1 KHz
-Rated Input Power: 10mW
-Maximum Input Power: 50mW
-Plug: 3.5mm, straight, gold-plated
-Cord: 1.3 meters, y-type

Source: iRiver e10 and HTC Hero.

The earphones have been played on for about 30h when I do this review. The sound is very good, I think it has a really good balance, good depth and warm tone. Compared to the older R02proII the R04 is more balanced, richer, smoother, detailed and more dynamic.
The Bass is tight and got a god grip. It is not the heaviest base earphone but has a good body and makes a very balanced effort. I am not a bass-head but still I want a good bas and I think the R04 delivers good enough bass for me.
Mids is also very balanced with good positions, they have a good tone, it’s detailed and a bit forward. Singer’s voice is clean and clear. The mids is probably this earphones best offer.
The highs are smooth and detailed. Treble is clean, smooth and got clear details without being harsh.

[size=medium]Conclusion:[/size]
As said I am I bit disappointed on the accessories. But as I also said, VSonic is working on it and it will be improved to the release in other countries. I got some problems to keep the cable behind the ear, and don’t really like to wear them cable down. However they are perfect to wear under a hat, and they do have a good sound, so they are now my first choice when wearing a hat or helmet. The build quality is very good and so is the comfort. I think these headphones sounds very well for the price on 55 Euro. Should be very interesting to hear what the R07 can perform when they are launched.

[size=medium]Points:[/size]
[size=x-small]Package:[/size] 8.5/10
[size=x-small]Accessories:[/size] 4/10
[size=x-small]Build Quality:[/size] 9/10
[size=x-small]Fit and Comfort:[/size] 8.5/10
[size=x-small]Isolation & Microponics:[/size] 9/10
[size=x-small]Sound Quality:[/size] 8.5/10

Cheers!
beyersmile.png

Apr 4, 2010 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 13
Nice first post / review. Welcome to HF!

I have a pair of R04 (and a pair of R02proII) too, and should post a review in about two weeks (still burning it in atm). From what I was told, VSONIC is going to add more accessories to future batch of R04, including things like case and possible silicone ear hook.

Apr 4, 2010 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 13
Hi and Thanks!
Been on forum and reading a lot, and no took the step to write my first review
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes ClieOS I have also been told that the new batch will contain more accessories.
KLS: Sorry about my wallet? Don't understand :p

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:25 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MSV_A /img/forum/go_quote.gif
KLS: Sorry about my wallet? Don't understand :p

You will know this if you keep visiting this forum... So many temptation of audio equipment out there and when you'd realised, you had bought so many that your wallet has been dried up
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You will know this if you keep visiting this forum... So many temptation of audio equipment out there and when you'd realised, you had bought so many that your wallet has been dried up
tongue_smile.gif

Hehe, I agree, a big jungle of goodies. Hopefully I can restrain myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pancakes2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the company allow purchases for individuals outside china at the moment? I live in australia and i'd be interested in ordering it if i could translate the pages

I don't know. But if the dealers has international shipping I don't see why you couldn't order a pair. But if you like to get a better line-up of accessories you should wait for the release in other countries.

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:38 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pancakes2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the company allow purchases for individuals outside china at the moment? I live in australia and i'd be interested in ordering it if i could translate the pages

Hi,i think i could help you on this,pls add my MSN ID phoebe20087@yahoo.com.cn

Apr 6, 2010 at 6:51 AM Post #10 of 13
Hi R02, are you Phoebe? Anyway, welcome to HF (for a late first post
biggrin.gif
).

Oct 11, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #12 of 13
Does anyone know an approximate date for international release?
I'd like ear hooks  (and a case) ... but if I have to wait more than, say, two months, I think I'll just get them from china now.
EDIT: Also, what's the difference between R04 Standard and R04 Pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back