My review of Klipsch Image S4.
Oct 22, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #46 of 82
Not sure I quite understand your broken record strategy. Aren't there any full-size threads where burn-in is under discussion that you can haunt? I think your constant desire to post the same thing has some psychological underpinnings as well. Klipsch can say whatever it wants, and so can you. But what difference does it make? And who cares what you think? Not being hostile, just bored with it all already.

And thanks for the same link, more repetition. This thread is about the S4, if you have it and want to discuss it, great. If not, again, who cares? Why not just post on the thread that you linked above, where the discussion is ACTUALLY ABOUT burn-in?

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #47 of 82
haha headfi..so many earphones i have to get

think im gonna buy these now after reading this thread

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #48 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there is burn-in, Klipsch does not know about it. I sent them a question by e-mail asking about the burn-in, and they responded, "The sound itself should not really change, the break in period is so that the speakers do not blow if played too loud right away."

I think it's psychological.

Either way, if burning in is simply psychological, then they are indeed in a sense 'burning-in' to your hearing. You become accustomed to the sound signature...etc.

So to say they need 100 hours of 'burn-in' before you really appreciate the sound, is equally valid. Your hearing tendencies need time to adjust to the variance in SQ.

In a sense, 'burn-in' is and will always be correct whether or not it can be physically proven and whether or not it is physical or psychological.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #49 of 82
To be honest i am sure there are a lot of myths in Hi-FI and most of them arent free. So even if burn-in is a myth it is not costing my wallet anything to try it and see. I have let my S4s go for 60ish hrs and they sound better than when i first got them.

Whatever the reason that is what i am hearing. Well i hope that things continue to improve with more burn in.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #50 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks to this thread I think I will be pulling the trigger on the S4.

Leaning the same way here.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #51 of 82
I'm really liking mine, after about two days of listening so far..... They're equally nice out of both the Cowon S9 and Sony X1060.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #52 of 82
how would these compare to the Denon AH-C551K in the bass department? i first didn't like the bass on the c55's but i've grown to like them. problem is, they break quickly..i'm going on my 3rd pair so it's time for something new.

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #53 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by ductrung3993 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone pls tell me how these pair compare to the Monster Turbine? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure if anyone has given you feedback between the Monster Turbine and the S4 or not but since I now own both I thought chime in.

The S4 seems to have better bass, midrange, and treble as well as soundstage in comparison to the TB's. I comfort wise the S4 also win's although this area is alot closer as the TB's are also very comfortable.

I found out of the box before they were burned in the S4 sounded better than the TB's that were burned in. The only thing I noticed was to much bass out of the box and by switching to the larger tips (as per another posters recommendation) this issue was resolved.

Oct 25, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #54 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if anyone has given you feedback between the Monster Turbine and the S4 or not but since I now own both I thought chime in.

The S4 seems to have better bass, midrange, and treble as well as soundstage in comparison to the TB's. I comfort wise the S4 also win's although this area is alot closer as the TB's are also very comfortable.

I found out of the box before they were burned in the S4 sounded better than the TB's that were burned in. The only thing I noticed was to much bass out of the box and by switching to the larger tips (as per another posters recommendation) this issue was resolved.

Thanks a lot dweaver, really helpful
redface.gif

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #55 of 82
Just a quick heads up for you guys. I bought these after reading some reviews and frankly, (after 60+hrs burn-in) I have to say just about everything I've read has been quite exaggerated. The S4's are amazingly comfortable, true, and definately 'fun' headphones. However, the bass is a boosted a bit too much and sound in general is just a tad muddy/smeared (not TOO bad, but more than my PortaPros, and MUCH more than my old shure e2c's).

At this point I'd say they're still worth $80, maybe even $90.

This is why I'm returning the phones tomorrow: there is a piercing shrieking whenever music (in my case all flavors of rock in FLAC) hits just about 7000 hz. (Imagine a freq. response graph and a couple asymtotes @ the 7k mark) Feels like an ice pick going into my brain; shows up a lot on vocal SSS's and certain cymbal crashes. Tested with SineGen and ya, it's brutal. Burn in did next to nothing to tone it back. I was able to equalize it using a parametric EQ on my comp, and even able to pretty much kill it with my Cowon iAudio7's eq (which is pretty cool), but it causes my soundscape to become too warped. Since cowon's EQ is pretty much the best on any portable (except maybe rockbox'd stuff), and these headphones are geared towards portables, this presents a pretty major issue.

The fact that this hasn't been brought up in anything I've read leads me to believe my ears might pair up differently with these phones than others, but just beware, if you are like me then these headphones might be a painful experience.

Thank god for best buy's 30 day return policy...

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #57 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatchFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick heads up for you guys. I bought these after reading some reviews and frankly, (after 60+hrs burn-in) I have to say just about everything I've read has been quite exaggerated. The S4's are amazingly comfortable, true, and definately 'fun' headphones. However, the bass is a boosted a bit too much and sound in general is just a tad muddy/smeared (not TOO bad, but more than my PortaPros, and MUCH more than my old shure e2c's).

At this point I'd say they're still worth $80, maybe even $90.

This is why I'm returning the phones tomorrow: there is a piercing shrieking whenever music (in my case all flavors of rock in FLAC) hits just about 7000 hz. (Imagine a freq. response graph and a couple asymtotes @ the 7k mark) Feels like an ice pick going into my brain; shows up a lot on vocal SSS's and certain cymbal crashes. Tested with SineGen and ya, it's brutal. Burn in did next to nothing to tone it back. I was able to equalize it using a parametric EQ on my comp, and even able to pretty much kill it with my Cowon iAudio7's eq (which is pretty cool), but it causes my soundscape to become too warped. Since cowon's EQ is pretty much the best on any portable (except maybe rockbox'd stuff), and these headphones are geared towards portables, this presents a pretty major issue.

The fact that this hasn't been brought up in anything I've read leads me to believe my ears might pair up differently with these phones than others, but just beware, if you are like me then these headphones might be a painful experience.

Thank god for best buy's 30 day return policy...

I don't think you let them cook long enough, TBH. I would have ;eft them on the PC for 100+ hours, well within the 30-day return policy. That's what I did, and the sssss's took a hike. And if you read my initial posts, I didn't even like them much at all. Sorry your experience was different, but another 40-50 hours could have done it.

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #58 of 82
Anyone that has the S4 and has also listened to either the NE-7M and/or the UE Super.fi 5pro and give a comparison?

Thanks!

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #59 of 82
I used to own the NE-7M, but it's been a while. Going from memory I would say they have similar sound stages and somewhat similar bass, but the midrange and treble of the S4 is much better than the NE-7M was. Comfort wise there is no comparison, the S4 beat the NE-7M in every way possible.

Oct 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #60 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you let them cook long enough, TBH. I would have ;eft them on the PC for 100+ hours, well within the 30-day return policy. That's what I did, and the sssss's took a hike.

I think that is very, very unlikely. Can you name a specific track where you noticed this dramatic difference? Here's a product that doesn't sound very good, but all you have to do is listen to them for an entire month for four hours a day and they'll sound fine -- that would be very bizarre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back