My review of Klipsch Image S4.
Jul 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 82

mp3

500+ Head-Fier
When I returned from my holiday I had a parcel waiting for me, the long awaited Klipsch S4 had arrived.

They are being pinknoised right now, and shall be for at least 50h before I pass any judgement.

For now I'll just say that they sound very promising with a big soundstage and strong dynamic sound, the incredible comfort deserves a mention too.

More to come in due time.

Jul 22, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 82
Klipsch Image S4

Klipsch are very well regarded on the audio scene, where they have provided high quality products ever since 1946. The RRP of the new Klipsch Image S4 is set to $80.

Packaging and content.
The packaging is classy looking and easily accessible. Inside the packaging you will find three pairs of silicone sleeves (M and L single flange and SM double flange) that are oval shaped for easy and comfortable fit, a cleaning tool and a very nice looking steel case. All in all a well thought out packaging and accessory pack with a touch of luxury.

Build quality.
The S4’s look and feel very nice with their hard plastic casing in black and chrome, no squeaking can be heard when pressing them. The cable measures at 125cm/50in and has a 90 degree angle on the jack, the splitter and adjuster both look nice and work very well. The cable itself is soft and rather thick with very little microphonic noise. And finally a special mention for the heavy duty and classy steel case. Well done Klipsch.

Comfort and fit.
They are light and small, easy to fit and very comfortable. For me the S4’s offered best comfort and fit when worn with the cable over the ear, even if you can wear them straight down as well. Isolation from ambient noise is quite good, but not really among the best isolating IEM’s. The oval shaped eartips are a new experience for me, and I must say I do like them, the seal and comfort is best in class, no fiddling around just pop them in and hey presto, perfect seal and comfort.

And the sound?
The S4’s being a dynamic IEM require time to settle (burn in) to sound their best. Once settled the S4’s offer a dynamic sound experience, with a tight bass that isn’t over-powering the rest of the soundspectrum, the mids are smooth like honey, the highs are clear if a little rolled-off and the soundstage is huge. The overall sound is mid-centered, bass and treble are a little in the background, while the mids are upfront and very nicely presented. They have a laidback and pleasing warmth to them and are more reminiscent of full size circumaural headphones than IEM’s. They also respond very well to the use of equalization.
One thing worth mentioning is that the S4’s are quite unforgiving on the source, they tend to expose the compression artifacts of poorly encoded files, this does not affect good quality files in any way.
All different music styles I have tried them with sound spot on, the dynamic sound with a good quality bass and a overall pleasingly laid out soundspectrum with the pleasant mids combined with the huge soundstage makes for a very enjoyable listening experience where your feet will soon be thumping along to the music. This leads me to the conclusion that the S4’s are an excellent allround IEM, with no real weaknesses in any aspect.

To sum up.
What I like most about the S4’s is the sound signature and overall sound quality, design and looks, the luxurious steel case and the excellent comfort of the oval shaped tips.
In my opinion they do not have any real weaknesses.

Would I recommend them? Yes, for the price the S4’s offer excellent sound quality and a classy design. Their biggest strength is that they lack any real weaknesses.

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm you might think a price of us$80 would translate to £45 - £50 however klipsch disagree with you and are charging £70, that puts them at almost the same price as the sennheiser IE6 or over £10 more than their own custom 2 are available delivered.

Klipsch Image S4 | SALE Now On!

somewhere was doing them for £45 the other day I saw

Jul 27, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 82
Better or worse are relative terms, plus the Customs are BA, not dynamic phones. So I would not say that statement is necessarily accurate.

I had the Custom 3s and didn't care much for them, but still have the X10s. I ordered a pair of S4s (backordered, I meanO) and if they deliver what I am looking for in a lower-to-mid priced dynamic, I will sell the X10s.

Jul 27, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #11 of 82
As for Custom 2 vs S4, I haven't heard the C2. I've heard the PL50, which should be on par with the C2, according to members who have heard both. In my opinion PL50 vs S4 comes down to personal preference, the PL50 has BA characteristics and the S4 has dynamic characteristics, both are very good for their price, just different.

192kb files will be fine, the problem is mainly to be heard on 128kb files or otherwise poorly encoded files.

Jul 27, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #12 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better or worse are relative terms, plus the Customs are BA, not dynamic phones. So I would not say that statement is necessarily accurate.

I had the Custom 3s and didn't care much for them, but still have the X10s. I ordered a pair of S4s (backordered, I meanO) and if they deliver what I am looking for in a lower-to-mid priced dynamic, I will sell the X10s.

care to elaborate on this a little more.

Aug 1, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #13 of 82
Update

Just to clarify my post above, I have now some 150h listening and they have really grown on me. I now rate these higher than the PL50, by a rather large margin.
The highs seem more sparkly, mids sound fuller, the lows pack much more energy and the soundstage is bigger.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:14 AM Post #14 of 82
mp3: would you recommend the S4's to someone who likes trance, techno, dubsteb, drum & bass, etc? I'm currently using UE SF5EB's and I like the bass but they are very uncomfortable for long periods of time so I'm looking for something else - I made a thread asking for recommendations and someone said "Klipsch S4!" so here I am
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #15 of 82
I don't really listen to any of those genres, so it's hard to say. The S4's can with the use of a quality EQ become real bass cannons, but un-EQ'd they are rather "neutral" sounding.
They are very good in all aspects though, and especially comfort wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back