My review of Klipsch Image S4.
Oct 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #31 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by thwood3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, would you recommend these if you listened to Ukranian Wedding Songs and stuff? Maybe some Burt and Ernie also?

Never heard, but they are awesome with Finnish Tango and Same Jojk, if that helps
wink.gif

As for Oldies, Jazz, Instrumental and Classical, yes they suit these genres, they have an analogue sound sig which suits almost any music, except maybe for the fastest electronic music.

But lovers of Classic Rock/Progressive Rock as Pink Floyd, The Band, Dream Theater, Journey, Blue Öyster Cult, Snowy White, The Eagles, Styx, America, Genesis, etc, they are very, very well suited and fantastic sounding.

Oct 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #32 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by mp3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard, but they are awesome with Finnish Tango and Same Jojk, if that helps
wink.gif

As for Oldies, Jazz, Instrumental and Classical, yes they suit these genres, they have an analogue sound sig which suits almost any music, except maybe for the fastest electronic music.

But lovers of Classic Rock/Progressive Rock as Pink Floyd, The Band, Dream Theater, Journey, Blue Öyster Cult, Snowy White, The Eagles, Styx, America, Genesis, etc, they are very, very well suited and fantastic sounding.

Thanks for the insightful reply. Cheers! Will get the S4's!
darthsmile.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #33 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjsoviet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the insightful reply. Cheers! Will get the S4's!
darthsmile.gif

No problem, I'm sure you will enjoy them, just remember to let them settle before passing judgement
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #36 of 82
Agree, I also moved from the gels, which are great comfort-wise, to a modded Shure tri-flange (cut off the smallest flange and the sound tube to even with the large flange) and they sound even better to me. All traces of any sibilance are gone, and the S4s really compete with many more expensive IEMs I have owned (and abandoned). To me, after 3 weeks of listening post-burnin, the S4s are fantastic.

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #37 of 82
To tstarn, how do the modded biflanges of the ety's change the sound vs the biflanges of klipsch? The supplied ones will not fit my ear and traditionally I have liked biflanges though I was also considering getting the shure tips as well. If anything I would want them a little less warm though the harshness doesn't bother me except on a few songs I have and not really an issue at this point.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #38 of 82
The Shure flanges do nothing to muffle the S4s. And now that the treble is tamed, it sounds clean and clear. I never liked the gel flanges, so I was using the large single flange. But someone posted about using the Shure flanges, and I checked it out. I have several pair because I used them with my W3s when I had them. But to me, the S4s with the modded Shures just sound right on the mark.

Oct 19, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #39 of 82
Thanks to this thread I think I will be pulling the trigger on the S4.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #41 of 82
hmm odd how people say it's mid and bass centered, yet some report that the highs are harsh . Of course it's also said that they get tammed with burn-in, any thoughts on this?

and how the mids compare to other iems?

Oct 22, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #42 of 82
I have about 60 hours of burn-in on the S4's now, and I can tell you that my original impressions have changed quite dramatically. Initially I thought these had:

- Harsh highs (most noticeable with cymbals)
- Slightly muddy, over-powering bass
- Recessed vocal frequencies when overlapped with electric guitar and percussion

BTW, this is coming from several infrequent listenings. I've not simply grown accustomed to them over time b/c I'm listened to them for about a combined 1 hour out of the 60 hours of burn-in.

Everything has tamed down.

- The highs are settling down
- Bass is refining
- And most importantly for me, the vocals are starting to come through a myriad of instruments.

If these continue to improve over the next 40 hours, I think we've got a winner on our hands. These are fun, warm IEM's with enough detail to appreciate without being analytical. Great soundstage....aside from the general comfort, the SS could be one of the best aspects of these IEMs.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #43 of 82
Had the same basic experience. But let them burn for 4 straight days. Also, tried the UM56 custom sleeves with the S4s just for kicks, and the tips even make them sound a little smoother, but with more impact. To me, the highs were the main issue, but it all came together.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #44 of 82
If there is burn-in, Klipsch does not know about it. I sent them a question by e-mail asking about the burn-in, and they responded, "The sound itself should not really change, the break in period is so that the speakers do not blow if played too loud right away."

I think it's psychological.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back