My Return to Vinyl
Oct 4, 2006 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

ComfyCan

500+ Head-Fier
Frustrated with poorly mastered CD's of classic rock albums, I finally decided to get a vinyl rig. I went the E-Bay route, and I got lucky.

I picked up a vintage Marantz 6100 turntable for $170 shipped, and it looks absolutely brand new. I put a new Shure M97xE cartridge on it, and set the thing up in about an hour.

I also took a risk on a vintage Sansui 771 receiver, which was sold "As Is." It was $64 shipped. Incredibly, this receiver is also in near-mint condition. I hooked the two together and plugged my GS-1000's into the headphone jack.

I am now listening to old Yes albums that sound so much better than the CD's; very cool. I'll try running cables from the tape out to my Headroom MicroAmp later to see if that helps or hurts. I must say, I am very happy with this setup as-is.

I think I'll be hitting the thrift stores for awhile. First priority: finding good quality Led Zepplin LP's. They just don't sound right on CD.

Fun stuff
gs1000.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 32
I'm jealous! Congrats on the purchase, and happy vinyl hunting to you.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Listening on headphones?

Yes; it's an office rig and I can't use speakers often enough to justify getting decent ones. I just have Logitech computer speakers, which I never use.

The receiver seems to have a pretty good headphone out. It could be new toy syndrome, but I'm definitely happy with the new sound option.

I'll test it out tomorrow using the tape out to the MicroAmp and see how that sounds.

Oct 4, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
I think I'll be hitting the thrift stores for awhile. First priority: finding good quality Led Zepplin LP's. They just don't sound right on CD.

Fun stuff
gs1000.gif

Fun stuff is right.
cool.gif

As for Zep, the used market/eBay/thrift stores are a crap shoot. You may get lucky but most likely not. For $30 or less the Classic Records' 200 gram reissues are pretty good. They're certainly the quietest Zep LPs you'll ever hear. Led Zep II? Can you find an early pressing in good condition, not played to death, with RL in the deadwax? That'd be #1, Classic Records would be #2. I've about 8 Led Zep IV's, UK, American, Canadian and they each have subtle strengths and weaknesses in comparison without any one clearly better. I'd probably keep the Classic records if I had to have only one.

But it is fun grabbing another mystery out of the bin hoping it sounds good.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 32
Cool. Sounds good. Show us some pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComfyCan
I put a new Shure M97xE cartridge on it

Nice cartridge, isnt it. I also picked one up about 6 months ago. I dont have much experience with a wide range of cartridges, but this one definately sounds great to me.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
A rather noob question but when thrift shopping for vinyl how do you know it will sound good based on looking at the record? How much does surface scratches affect the tracking?

Often you can tell from a visual inspection what the sound quality will like, but sometimes you can be very surprised on the actual sound when you have a listen.

eg: my copy of Henri Mancini's Cop Show Themes will make you cringe to look at it. It looks very worn and has tonnes of scratches on it. But all these scratches are very light and the record actually sounds very good.

On the other hand, I have a few 45s which look excellent (no scratches, shiny) but for some reason or another the quality is far from good (distortion etc).

But it's all part of the thrill of the hunt. And when you're digging at places where you're picking each one up for a buck or less, it's definately worth taking the risk.

Oct 4, 2006 at 6:09 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by doctafonk
Often you can tell from a visual inspection what the sound quality will like, but sometimes you can be very surprised on the actual sound when you have a listen.

eg: my copy of Henri Mancini's Cop Show Themes will make you cringe to look at it. It looks very worn and has tonnes of scratches on it. But all these scratches are very light and the record actually sounds very good.

On the other hand, I have a few 45s which look excellent (no scratches, shiny) but for some reason or another the quality is far from good (distortion etc).

But it's all part of the thrill of the hunt. And when you're digging at places where you're picking each one up for a buck or less, it's definately worth taking the risk.

No doubt about it, but the places I've looked so far all know exactly how much their vinyl is worth (ebay price guide wise) but I've found a few cheap Genesis and King Crimson albums I've picked up mainly for larger artwork.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #11 of 32
I have an early pressing of Led Zep I and it sounds like crap. i need to look into a classic records issue. I couldn't believe how bad the lp sounded, I was so sure it was going to be a winner.

Oct 4, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
I have an early pressing of Led Zep I and it sounds like crap. i need to look into a classic records issue. I couldn't believe how bad the lp sounded, I was so sure it was going to be a winner.

Which one? Their production is usually superb on LP. Look for the British or German pressings maybe.

Oct 4, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
A rather noob question but when thrift shopping for vinyl how do you know it will sound good based on looking at the record? How much does surface scratches affect the tracking?

You can't. You can buy a brand new LP hot off the presses and it can sound like crap. Sure I examine a used LP for obvious marks but even clean, I don't know what it'll sound like.

On the other hand I have an old Judas Priest LP that is so noisy that during quiet spots it sounds like cellofane. But when it kicks in and drowns out the crackles, it's gloriously pungent. It's worth listening past the flaws.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang

Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Which one? Their production is usually superb on LP. Look for the British or German pressings maybe.

If they're early pressings, think about it: it's early 1969 and you want to hear some Zep, you play Led Zep (to death?). If it's 1971 you're Zep listening gets divided into four with one quarter the abuse per LP. Think of the turntables and carts in use then by most people. *shudder*

The Classic Records are a sure bet. After that I still bought the used ones for fun.

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
If they're early pressings, think about it: it's early 1969 and you want to hear some Zep, you play Led Zep (to death?). If it's 1971 you're Zep listening gets divided into four with one quarter the abuse per LP. Think of the turntables and carts in use then by most people. *shudder*

The Classic Records are a sure bet. After that I still bought the used ones for fun.

http://www.gemm.co.uk/item/LED--ZEPP.../GML850807802/

There were audiophiles back then too though
wink.gif
and if they were played on an old Rek-O-Kut or Garrard or Thorens they should still be in good condition.

These were very popular records as well which were constantly repressed all over the world. Yes you'll pay a lot for a good condition original pressing from a dealer but I suppose it depends how much you like the band and how seriously you are collecting. People buy these things as an investment as well of course.

I have some of their original pressings in perfect condition and later reissues so I don't know what the remasters are like. Generally i don't buy rock on cd because it never sounds right to my ear.

Generally original pressings are always the best and hunting is part of the fun. You occasionally turn up the odd gem. I found an original pressing Rolling Stones Let it Bleed in a charity shop in Chelsea for 1 pound a while back...
lambda.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #15 of 32
Congrats on getting into vinyl. For me this has been one of the most rewarding things, if not for the great sound, also for the wealth of hard to find stuff out there on LP. And often reasonably priced, too.

I also use a vintage amp (Luxman) with phono stage built-in and enjoy the sound on both speakers and headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back