My questions to an audiologist
Sep 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Danseph

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm about to get custom sleeves for my SM3 and have an appointment with the audiologist on Thursday. I also thought I could use this new found passion of mine for a project I have to complete and have secured an interview with the audiologist after he'll take the impressions. I have a series of questions I'm going to ask him (see at the bottom of this post), but was wondering if there was something you always had wanted to know but where afraid to ask
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll be of course posting the answers to your questions on this thread. Thanks to everyone who will chip in.

PS.

Questions pell-mell

- Who should consider getting custom sleeves?
- Are there any health advantages to custom sleeves?
- What are the advantages in sound isolation and reproduction to custom sleeves?
- If one has only two hundred dollars to spare, would it be more advisable to spend them on custom sleeves or new earphones?
- What should a customer look for or ask around when choosing an audiologist to make ear canal impressions?
- Are there wrongful habits in putting in or taking off custom or universal sleeves that users must absolutely avoid?
- Can one use any sort wet wipes to clean their sleeves or would that compromise their auditive health?
- Can users with customs use their earphones longer than those with universal tips? How long at a time is it safe to use them?
- Are there signs that you are currently damaging your auditive sensibility?
- Are there things one can do to increase their auditive sensibility/perception?
- Can damages be reversed? I know

Some questions are obvious, but I'm hoping to get more technical answers than what I've so far found on the web as well as grounds for follow ups.

Sep 21, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 3
Here are some of my questions feel free to pick and choose, or toss them all out:

1. Considering how many former hearing aid professionals are entering the iem field, is there some sort of technology sharing / production knowhow sharing that's benefiting the hearing aid industry? (which would be cool!)

2. Do you do anything special to take care of your own, or your family's hearing?

3. Having kids can mean lots of hearing fatigue..  Can it be permanently damaging?  Or are parents hard wired to take it just fine? (I got musician's plugs to "turn it down a notch")

4. Is there anything cool you can do with ear canal molds besides make custom iems or plugs?

5. What's type of music do you like to listen to?

btw, Danseph, you should probably change the topic so it doesn't look like you're addressing the post to an audiologist.  At least that's what I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back