My problem with full size headphones..is it just the ones that I have tested are not good?
Nov 24, 2012 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

shaolin95

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!
So , I have been using mostly an SP51 IEM for a while but I wish I could get better sound. My problem is when I try a full size headphone, that the sound always gets better when I press them against my ears a little bit to make a closer fit to me ear.
I HATE that because the moment I release them , it sounds completely different.
Is that because the ones I have tried are cheap?
I tried some of the Beats at a local store and was shocked at how lame they are.
So, maybe I should just get better ear buds like the ones I have or are higher end full size headphones able to really make a tight fit so I dont have to hold them with my hands?
Thanks!

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #2 of 16
What were the headphones you test ? Only Beats ?

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 16
Well aside from that  I have only tried cheaper ones like my HD212 Pro and Panasonic  RP-HTX7. So nothing really in the expensive range except those Beats.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, the general consensus on this forum is beats = overpriced ****

Go try some other high end headphones, and you wont be dissappointed. I can recommend the beyerdynamic dt-880 for the same price as the beats, but it all depends on what you like and what you need.

Nov 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 16
Well I like Bass but not if I have to sacrifice mids and highs.

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 16
It sounds like a fit/seal problem with the headphones you've tried. Closed headphones absolutely require a seal to deliver any bass response. Neither the HD212 or HTX7 have any rotation on the vertical axis, and they don't have the greatest pads either, which can geatly affect seal and sound.

Try a few headphones that actually fit you properly (you should be able to feel it sit rather snuggly all around your ear) and go from there.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 16
The local Walmart put up a new monster display and I tested the N-pulse and I was rather impressed with it. Except that it seems to need a lot more power than my phone delivers unless using a preamp setting in my player, it was really tight and nice sounding but it was not a great evaluation. Just a quick test but much better than my previous experiences and no need to push the ear cups against my ears.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #8 of 16
Don't buy anything from monster, beats, skullcandy, sms-audio and what-so-ever-you-name-it. At least not if you want good sound. Headphones with a lot bass AND good sq can be had.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 16
I think it's just the ones you tested, i have the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro and no matter how hard i press they have the same sound. Also any open-back headphone will have the same sound regardless of how much you press on them.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Oh yeah , I am an anti Monster, bose, guy , just saying that at least I tried one that I dont have to push to improve sound so that gives me hope now :D
Problem is finding a local store with good ones that I can try.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Don't buy anything from monster, beats, skullcandy, sms-audio and what-so-ever-you-name-it. At least not if you want good sound. Headphones with a lot bass AND good sq can be had.

Hmm some of the new Monster on-ears are pretty decent. Diamond tears and DNA's. have you heard them or just going along with the monster/beats bashing?

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Hmm some of the new Monster on-ears are pretty decent. Diamond tears and DNA's. have you heard them or just going along with the monster/beats bashing?

Just bashing from here, dont know anything except from what i have geard... Don't mean to offend any1 anyways, just trying to pass knowledge on to new members
smily_headphones1.gif

To OP: you can try open 'phones. Then your problem should be solved 
biggrin.gif
, they shouldn't change in sound since they are open anyways.

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #13 of 16
Cant use open ones at work so that is the problem. I would love to get opens as based on what I have read, they deliver what I want but I need to compromise :/
I still feel those Monster N-Pluse were not bad specially compared to the Beats I tried before which were pathetic :D

Nov 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 16
Just want to mention in-ears. Possibly not MY 1st choice but still...

What is your budget by the way, what do you listen to, what do you want etc.

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 16
That is what I have been using the MEElectronics SP51.
I do not have a set budget really. I guess I prefer it to be under $300 and better if available a zzounds so I can use their split payment option.
I have been mostly an IME guy because they are easy to carry and well, that sealed sound I liked but since I see that normal ones can be sealed tight too that opens up more possibilities for me.

I listen to most styles, Latin, pop, some rock (Nirvana etc not heavy metal), classic, piano, violin, and then some phone gaming as well.
I watch movies but only ones I am not really THAT interested in, otherwise I will use my dedicated HT room for those.
Of course, the cheaper I can improve from my current SP51s the better.
Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back