My portable amp/dac hasn't budged in months, worth it to sell and get a desktop amp/dac?
Nov 30, 2010 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

solidsnake

100+ Head-Fier
So, about 6 months ago I got an iBasso D4 for my Denon D2000. I took it on a few trips, but lugging it around was more of a pain in the a** than I thought it would be. And not just the amp, but the headphones too. Anyways, thats a different story. Now, the amp hasn't been outside the house in months but I've been perfectly content with using it as a desktop amp. It improved on the Denons a lot.

Now I'm looking at new headphones, and it's made me wonder if I should be looking at a new, desktop amp/dac as well. Because, a good fraction of the price of these portable amps has to represent the fact that they're portable, am I correct? You probably get where I'm going now: Using my portable amp/dac as a desktop amp/dac is a waste, I could be getting BETTER performance from a desktop amp/dac that costs the same as my iBasso. Sorry if my explanation sounds preliminary, you probably already got me 
redface.gif

So, my question: if I were to get - say a set of Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm for example, would it be a good idea to sell my iBasso for a desktop amp/dac? Which one? I don't want to spend more than $350 on the amp, and thats considering the money I'll make from selling the iBasso. 

Thanks guys! 
wink_face.gif

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Warm sounding tube amps suit the Beyers, as solid state amps can make the highs harsh. Little dot is a good place to start.

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 5
My Little Dot 1+ is a Grado tamer and I think that is saying a lot. Also I have read a lot of people talking about the Beyer 770's being bright. Not once have I ever felt that they were bright while running through my LD. Not sure how much is the amp, how much is the tubes. I all I do know is it works well for me. I am sure there is much better but at this point I don't feel the need to look.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 5
also take a look at purity audio's "K.I.C.A.S" series. the "caliente" is the K.I.C.A.S' is just a warmer version, of virtually the same amp. Although solid state, this warmer brother gives a tube like sound. To my belief purity audio is based off of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada (Right at home). It usually goes for $400 but, purity has a winter sale going on that will sell the K.I.C.A.S for $250.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back