My Pleather earpads have a mildew smell after cleaning them. Any way to remove?
Jul 27, 2018 at 6:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zenrap518

100+ Head-Fier
I recently cleaned my Meze 99 Classics, on which i switched out the pads to the PSB M4U 1 pads. I used a wet cloth to clean the headphones and the pads, while still attached to the headphones. After that, i (stupidly) put them in the case and left it there for a couple of days. When i used them again, the earpads had a mildew/damp smell. Luckily nothing happened to the headphones themselves. Is there any way to remove this smell? I tried detaching them from the headphones and cleaning them in a bowl with water and a bit of soap, rinsing afterwards, and then air - drying them properly, but nothing happened to the smell after it dried. Any other way of removing the smell? J was thinking of washing them the same way, but drying it out in the sun to try to maybe kill some of the bacteria and to dry it out better. Thanks.

Jul 27, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 14
The big question is why did you feel the need to clean them? Did they have a big amount of residue on them from letting some real sweaty person listen to them? Did you look at how the manufacturer suggested cleaning them? Most earpads don’t take well to cleaning other than suggested by the manufacturer you are probably looking at a new set .

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 14
This is sort of like when my friend left some fish in his trunk on a 90-degree day (!!). I doubt you will be able to get that mildewy smell out. If the sun thing doesn't work, you might try incubating in ozone and see if that helps. Otherwise, it is like @buke9 says--it's a new pair.

Jul 27, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 14
Sorry but I think so.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 14
Put them in ziplock bag and freeze them. Usually smells like that are indicators of bacterial growth...most common bacteria can't survive in sub zero conditions.
Sometimes I use knee pads for work (tile setting) and the pads can get sweaty and funky over time. I also wear custom orthotics in my shoes, and they experience the same issue. Both of them benefit from occasional freezing.

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #6 of 14
Things Ive tried to varying degrees of success...

Store them in a bag with coffee grounds for a cpl days. Youre trading mildew smell for coffee smell.
"" with a cpl dryer anti static sheets.
out in the sun and breeze helps.
Lukes suggestion of the freezer is new to me,but sounds like an option too

Jul 27, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Things Ive tried to varying degrees of success...

Store them in a bag with coffee grounds for a cpl days. Youre trading mildew smell for coffee smell.
"" with a cpl dryer anti static sheets.
out in the sun and breeze helps.
Lukes suggestion of the freezer is new to me,but sounds like an option too
yeah, if by "option" you mean SCIENCE!!...
(raise your hand if you are thinking about Thomas Dolby right now)

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #8 of 14
Or don’t wash them other than manufacturer suggestions. DUH.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 14
I cleaned them because they were a bit sweaty and the things i did were in the PSB M4U1 owners guide. My mistake was putting them in the case before they had dried completely. I just tried putting them next to a window with sunlight passing through and the smell seems to have lessened. Ill try to put it in the sun for longer and see if it disappears completely.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 14
I recently cleaned my Meze 99 Classics, on which i switched out the pads to the PSB M4U 1 pads. I used a wet cloth to clean the headphones and the pads, while still attached to the headphones. After that, i (stupidly) put them in the case and left it there for a couple of days. When i used them again, the earpads had a mildew/damp smell. Luckily nothing happened to the headphones themselves. Is there any way to remove this smell? I tried detaching them from the headphones and cleaning them in a bowl with water and a bit of soap, rinsing afterwards, and then air - drying them properly, but nothing happened to the smell after it dried. Any other way of removing the smell? J was thinking of washing them the same way, but drying it out in the sun to try to maybe kill some of the bacteria and to dry it out better. Thanks.

On top of putting them in a closed dark container, some of the liquid could have leached through the pleather or the stitch points, and then couldn't get out later.

No matter how grimy leather and pleather earpads get, keep in mind that if water does get in, it's gonna have a hard time getting back out. Considering that leather doesn't absorb anything you should just use some kind of cleaning solution that isn't an irritant, wipe and let dry, then if it's leather or the right kind of synthetic leather, apply leather conditioner.

Try putting it in a bag filled with silica packs but I won't be surprised if the pleather cracks before you get that smell out.

Jul 27, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #11 of 14
just freeze them.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #12 of 14
I cleaned them because they were a bit sweaty and the things i did were in the PSB M4U1 owners guide. My mistake was putting them in the case before they had dried completely. I just tried putting them next to a window with sunlight passing through and the smell seems to have lessened. Ill try to put it in the sun for longer and see if it disappears completely.
I think you should not have cleaned them. They are not meant to cleaned after every use and for sure not with a wet cloth.

Jul 27, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #13 of 14
Sorry but just a bit of sweat is not a reason to clean a pair of earpads. For most people that is a common occurrence like people in Malaysia and others in East Asia with high humidity and just about anyone else that has a pair of headphones on for a while and pleather earpads. There is no need to clean them other than a dry cloth and other than that if they show signs of wear just replace them.

Jul 28, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #14 of 14
Sorry but just a bit of sweat is not a reason to clean a pair of earpads. For most people that is a common occurrence like people in Malaysia and others in East Asia with high humidity and just about anyone else that has a pair of headphones on for a while and pleather earpads. There is no need to clean them other than a dry cloth and other than that if they show signs of wear just replace them.

Just Southeast Asia (and South Asia, ie the subcontinent). Northeast Asia - Japan, Korea, Mongolia and extreme northern China (ie what used to be Manchuria), heck even the old northern China, are definitely "pack some lip balm" territotory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back