My Oscars
Feb 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #17 of 32
I'm surprised too, but you have to remember this is the group that picked Shakespeare in Love over Saving Private Ryan and recently thought Crash was not only a good movie, but the best of the year.
eek.gif

The only traits they often show are rewarding past non-winners, preferring big over small, and picking films that celebrate cinemas importance. The latter two I expected to play a part with There Will Be Blood. It felt big and important, even if it has storytelling issues.

Overall it was nice seeing the awards spread around though. And if No End in Sight didn't Win for feature doc, I'm glad it went to Taxi to the Dark Side as they're related, though the latter wasn't as good a film as the former.

Feb 25, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 32
I definitely thought Crash was a mistake, but I am delighted to see No Country do so well. I greatly enjoy the Coen Brothers' work, and I'm glad their excellent film was well rewarded. I really felt the competition was stiff and excellent this year, however.

Really, though, I'm just delighted that my hero, Glen Hansard, won an award for best song, thereby furthering his popularity around the world. Bravo to an excellent musician.

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #20 of 32
Was it my imagination, or was that the most lifeless
Oscar telecast I've ever seen? Maybe its just that
"all my stars are all Septuagenarians" feeling. Wasn't
the pacing leaden? The musical performances sizzled
like I was watching a Lawrence Welch reun. Harrison
Ford to return as Indiana Jones? They better have some
serious CGI happening to make his jaw move faster.
Sad. Best supporting actress delivered by an American
Idol. A lifeless recap of 80 years of the Oscar.
Lifeless! How is that possible? Who put this year's
clips together? I remember when you used to be blown
away by the montages. I could barely keep my eyes open
through them. Cut off the rambling speeches; no hint
of controversy or conlict. A heartwarming presentation
by our troops abroad - christ, it was like the Oscars
staged by Up With People. Well, I did like "No Country
for Old Men." Cate Blanchett didn't win, that's a plus
(I'm tired of worn out British blondes putting on
crowns and winning. Oh wait, Tilda Swinton). Of
course, the usual annoyances. That Edith Piaf biopic
looks good and Marian Cotillard's amazing, but she
proved actors are cattle again with her wonderful
acceptance speech. 'You guys rocked my world."
Caution, actor in flight, beware of working without a
net. Now you know why they had to setting the writers
strike. But the piece de resistance, a stripping
screenwriter gets the nod! Just goes to prove, it's
not who you know, it's who you...

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 32
I'm pretty sure by the fact that there are so few combo stripper/screenwriters, it's not who you ....
wink.gif

Anyway, all you guys may dig this cool graphic. [NYTimes]

Feb 26, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cate Blanchett didn't win, that's a plus
(I'm tired of worn out British blondes putting on
crowns and winning.

Cate Blanchett is Australian.

cheers
Simon

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #24 of 32
You're right. I just checked her bio. Actually, why, hell, she's a darn Texan! Whoo weeee!

Feb 26, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #25 of 32
I thought Nicole Kidman looked fantastic presenting, like a true old Hollywood movie star. Great dignified presence as well.

Good set of movies this year, though some people were complaining about the unknowns, that not many have seen a lot of the films. The Oscars get better ratings when more mass market shlock is nominated like Titanic, or if people from stupid celebrity culture like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan are involved. All of these flicks are worth seeing.

Feb 26, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That Edith Piaf biopic
looks good and Marian Cotillard's amazing, but she
proved actors are cattle again with her wonderful
acceptance speech. 'You guys rocked my world."
Caution, actor in flight, beware of working without a
net.

For Marion's defense, english is not her first language, it may be hard to express themselves emotions in such moments in an other language.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mnemoniak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For Marion's defense, english is not her first language, it may be hard to express themselves emotions in such moments in an other language.

agreed. though her speech was somewhat awkward, it's obvious that it's because english isn't her first language...and i think she was very adorable and real, which is preferable to composed and reading from a notecard.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #28 of 32
oh that no country.... being a true fan of Fargo and therefore also the coen brothers for so many years i think i am getting a bit annoyed by coen's "imaging and soundstage and signature". those twists are effective but still twists. and the acting this time was NOT 100%. and that last encounter -the wife and the killer - was a JOKE with no humour. it was just an interesting and thrilling film. imnotsoho.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by miscreant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh that no country.... being a true fan of Fargo and therefore also the coen brothers for so many years i think i am getting a bit annoyed by coen's "imaging and soundstage and signature". those twists are effective but still twists. and the acting this time was NOT 100%. and that last encounter -the wife and the killer - was a JOKE with no humour. it was just an interesting and thrilling film. imnotsoho.

So you didn't see any underlying theme of No Country besides an interesting and thrilling couple hours of entertainment (that probably puts it above Fargo)? And why do you need humor?

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 32
what was the underlying theme for you, blessingx? i didn't see much yes.

i saw a guy who wanted to feel better than the current circumstances allowed.
and a killer who's talk didn't make any sense.
and a policeman who was old.
and a wife who was so brave.
and a mom who was toast before the action started.
and a ... what was this guy? what? woody. yes. woody was also in the movie.
and the veteran. weird man that was.

what themes did i miss?
humour is fun.

Edit: one interesting thing was that all the important men tried to become the center of the movie. but nobody actually were too much. thats very coeny. i liked that a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back