My Oscars
Feb 26, 2008 at 11:37 PM Post #31 of 32
Well listen I'm not going to condense it down to a single sentence. Maybe Llewelyn's "The point is there ain't no point" motions in the direction we should be looking. It's depressing, because it's fate/chance. Not as usually portrayed in film, but as handed out in mostly punishment and Sheriff Bell final speech. He searches for meaning. We search for fairness. We don't like the results. He's an Old Man passed by. "I believe that whatever you do in your life it will get back to you. If you live long enough it will." It's reminds me of maybe my favorite line in cinema - in Ozu's Tokyo Story, Kyoko says "Isn't life disappointing?"
Norikos response is about as un-Hollywood as can be - "Yes, it is." The end.

I think the Coens are as talented as anyone with dark humor, but they've been limited by it and like the removal of the score, benefited greatly here without. This felt a step up from there greatest till now film - Fargo.

Feb 26, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #32 of 32
You're darn right. There were a lot of confused people in the movie. All of them looking for a meaning for something. I see it now. Ok then. I don't look for that sort of thing myself so much... thats why i missed it. nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back