My Oscars
Feb 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]This year was a much better year for movies than last year. These are my picks. What are yours?[/size]

[size=small]Best Film – No Country for old men[/size]
[size=small]Best Director – Coen brothers - No Country for old men[/size]

[size=small]Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis - There will be blood (I’d love to see Clooney win, but he just plain got out acted)[/size]

[size=small]Best supporting actor - Javier Bardem – No country for old men[/size]

[size=small] I missed all of the films with the nominees for Best Actress[/size]

Feb 20, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #4 of 32
This was a great year for films, but it is also an increasingly difficult to consider the Academy Awards as anything more than celebrating American pop films. Surely this is always been the case, and it may just be my increasing grumpiness, but at least Europe has been in the running in the past. Now it feels the foreign language award is segmented and politicized. Thus my pics:

Best Picture (should win, but not nominated though its director is
confused.gif
): Diving Bell & The Butterfly. American made and financed, but in French. Therefore foreign language and not submitted by France for consideration.

Best Picture (will win): There Will Be Blood or Michael Clayton

Best Foreign Language Picture (should win, but not nominated): 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days.

Best Foreign Language Picture (hopefully will win): Mongol. Interestingly Beaufort may win and it was Israels alternative, since it's first submission, The Bands Visit, contained "too much English".

Documentary Feature: No End In Sight. I may be most upset if this goes elsewhere.

Animated Feature: Persepolis, though Ratatouille is probably the better film. A Persepolis victory would do more for it and animation though.

Adapted Screenplay: No Country for Old Men. Haven't read McCarthys book, so not sure if this is deserved, but I certainly give him credit with helping the Coens create their first film for adults.

Original Screenplay: Juno. They love the small films in this category.

Direction (should win and nominated): Diving Bell & The Butterfly. I'd love to be surprised here.

Direction (will win): No Country for Old Men as split with Blood for Best Picture (which if course makes no sense).

I have to admit I'm less sure the likely victors this year than the last few. People could align with Blood or No Country for a lot of awards, but there has been recent buzz around Clayton. And although the most genre limited, it's possibly the most adult. Questioning Americas "just be good in what you do and don't ask any larger questions" work ethic, inside a simple at first glance thriller, is great. I didn't give it its due at first.

Feb 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was a great year for films, but it is also an increasingly difficult to consider the Academy Awards as anything more than celebrating American pop films. Surely this is always been the case, and it may just be my increasing grumpiness, but at least Europe has been in the running in the past. Now it feels the foreign language award is segmented and politicized. Thus my pics:

Best Picture (should win, but not nominated though its director is
confused.gif
): Diving Bell & The Butterfly. American made and financed, but in French. Therefore foreign language and not submitted by France for consideration.

Best Picture (will win): There Will Be Blood or Michael Clayton

Best Foreign Language Picture (should win, but not nominated): 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days.

Best Foreign Language Picture (hopefully will win): Mongol. Interestingly Beaufort may win and it was Israels alternative, since it's first submission, The Bands Visit, contained "too much English".

Documentary Feature: No End In Sight. I may be most upset if this goes elsewhere.

Animated Feature: Persepolis, though Ratatouille is probably the better film. A Persepolis victory would do more for it and animation though.

Adapted Screenplay: No Country for Old Men. Haven't read McCarthys book, so not sure if this is deserved, but I certainly give him credit with helping the Coens create their first film for adults.

Original Screenplay: Juno. They love the small films in this category.

Direction (should win and nominated): Diving Bell & The Butterfly. I'd love to be surprised here.

Direction (will win): No Country for Old Men as split with Blood for Best Picture (which if course makes no sense).

I have to admit I'm less sure the likely victors this year than the last few. People could align with Blood or No Country for a lot of awards, but there has been recent buzz around Clayton. And although the most genre limited, it's possibly the most adult. Questioning Americas "just be good in what you do and don't ask any larger questions" work ethic, inside a simple at first glance thriller, is great. I didn't give it its due at first.

Sounds good to me.

Feb 20, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 32
i haven't seen all the nominated movies in the major categories so i don't have strong opinions...but i'd love to see daniel day lewis win best actor (and he likely will), juno win best original screenplay, and laura linney win best actress (though i doubt she will). who's hosting this again?

Feb 24, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 32
A few hours away. Increasing buzz for No Country seems a possible indicator. Glad to see Julian Schnabel win the Independent Spirit director award last night.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 32
If I had a vote, restricted to categories where I've seen every nominee:

Picture: No Country
Actor: Lewis
S. Actor: Affleck
S. Actress: Cate Blanchett
Art Direction: There Will Be Blood
Score: Atonement
Sound Editing: There Will Be Blood
Sound Mixing: Bourne Ultimatum
Visual Effects: Transformers

Feb 25, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #14 of 32
"There really are angels in this city." Loved that line.

Good show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back