My old ***** MDR-V6's are very raggidy, but still sound GREAT!
Apr 1, 2007 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Joshatdot

Headphoneus Supremus
I went to my Storage unit Saturday and dug up my very old MDR-V6's (I got them in the very early 90's). I forgot how disheveled they were! There is no pleather left on any of the pads. The pleather on the headbad is coming off, and it's bent funky.

But considering how crummy they look they still sound AWESOME!

Compared to my newer MDR-7506's, these old V6's sound more warm and less shrill/sibilance sounding. I was listening to "The Chronic (1992)" with both of them, and the V6's had a much better sound. The 7506's were very sibilant sounding.

I know I can re-pad them with DT250's, but how about the headband?

Pics to come as soon as ImageShack loads

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 23
GUH!!!!.....Imageshack is SO SLOW LATELY!!!!

Apr 1, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 23
Apr 1, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also have the V6's I bought in the early 90's, maybe earlier. You're right they are nice. My pads also deteriorated, I replaced them with Byer velour pads. they work well and are very comf.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...oogle&ct=title

Yeah I just ordered the dt250 pads from B&H like 5 mins ago..but what about the headband?

Apr 1, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I just ordered the dt250 pads from B&H like 5 mins ago..but what about the headband?

Yikes. I started treating the cracked pleather of my V6 headband with Armor All, and that seems to be preventing further degradation. Yours looks a bit farther gone than mine, though, so YMMV.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 23
I am going to ask my sister if she can sew a new one. She is an alterest?, hobby sewer.

Apr 2, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #8 of 23
they certainly look like they must have looked different than the modern V6 when they were new. Didn't realize they used to sound different though. I thought it was a pretty much unchanged model.

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they certainly look like they must have looked different than the modern V6 when they were new. Didn't realize they used to sound different though. I thought it was a pretty much unchanged model.

Um, gee ... think maybe those nearly de-composed cushions softened the response a tad?
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #10 of 23
I never understood the opinion of some that the MDR-V6 is shrill. I have *very* sensitive ears--but I just don't understand that claim in relation to MDR-V6. Grado, yes--but MDR-V6? It's strange how headphones affect people differently.

Anyway, until I run across a better sounding headphone for monitoring that doesn't require an amp they'll have a place in my collection.

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 23
My very old V6's have a much less sibilant sound than my newer 7506's

Apr 3, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never understood the opinion of some that the MDR-V6 is shrill. I have *very* sensitive ears--but I just don't understand that claim in relation to MDR-V6. Grado, yes--but MDR-V6? It's strange how headphones affect people differently.

Anyway, until I run across a better sounding headphone for monitoring that doesn't require an amp they'll have a place in my collection.

I might be the few to say this, but I think that the V6 sounds more sibilant than my MS-1s. Might be just my ears though. But yes, V6s are built like tanks, and this one is a Japanese V6, which means it has it's years on it, since I believe newer V6s are build in the Philippines now.

Apr 4, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FA22RaptorF22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my 7506's...i only thing i wish was that it was open ear...i dont like having them on my ears, opposed to around them.

On your ears? you must have big ears! V6's & 7506's are circumaural.

Apr 4, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On your ears? you must have big ears! V6's & 7506's are circumaural.

It's an old argument that probably has no resolution. It may be why Sony came out with the V600 and its teardrop-shaped earpieces. The V6 predates it by several years. Unfortunately for them, the V600 was a dog.

My experience has been the "mashiness" of the V6 pleather/foam cushions contributes to this issue. Put the Beyer velours on and all doubt is removed. They are circumaural for all but the very largest ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back