My new X-Fi has blown my mind (and a little of my wallet)
Apr 24, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lockout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should try plugging your phones into the rear line-out sometime. IMO it sounds a fair bit better than the front panel headphone jack.

Not sure about the EM, but in the Elite Pro, the DAC in the soundcard is superior to the one on the separate console. The same may be true for the panel vs. the card?

Apr 24, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure about the EM, but in the Elite Pro, the DAC in the soundcard is superior to the one on the separate console. The same may be true for the panel vs. the card?

On the Elite Pro, the external box has the better DAC's.

The headphone out on the front panel has an actual headphone amp, so it can be used to drive 250ohm headphones fairly well. I believe the front panel headphone out uses the sound card's internal DACs though.

Apr 24, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #18 of 27
Well i think my Z5500 control pod has dac, and possibly an amp, not sure about that, but plugging into there sounds pretty good for me, when i dont have them set up i plug directly into my xfi

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #19 of 27
Well I CAN tell you this NEW card will make things VERY VERY interesting and its on my to get list. I have had an Audigy2 platinum for AGES. I think this card will fit the bill VERY VERY nicely and its based on the X-Fi chipset. That is reason I thought it would work on this thread. I believe this is the FIRST time Creative is outsourcing their chips.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/company/press.php

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #20 of 27
Don´t listen to the creative haters. There is a lot of modders here they hate consumer products lol.

X-fi is a truly great soundcard for it´s price. There is no other that have as many good features as it.

Of course there is always better like the X-fi Elite PRO and then you have these 1200$ sources that I truly hope is better but it´s nothing you have to worry about.

You need to be a total HIFI nut not to be able to enjoy your X-fi if you don´t somewhere around the road get issues with crackles and such of course.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to say that I have never really had a good sound card in my computer.

After buying the SR-60's, I knew I really needed something better to help the quality, and as I've heard the next step in upgrade-itis after headphones are the source.

Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum sounds so very very nice.

I especially enjoy the front bay drive with the 1/4" plug.

I decided to demo it with my favorite techno band, Daft Punk. It's clarity is unmatched, good sirs and ladies.

I just want to say that I'm in (relative) audio bliss...

Even though my wallet certainly isn't "blissful"....

Thanks, Head-Fi!

Creative's X-Fi series is definitely a very good mix between those seeking to be music audiophile and gaming nerds.
biggrin.gif
For computer sound, there is no better than the X-fis.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #22 of 27
For those of us that dont want 7.1 surround(i dont even know where to put hte damn speakers), what is the best budget option? The AV710 is always mentioned, but is there something better than the 710/ALIEN for hte budget market?

And there is a pretty good reason why head-fiers hate consumer products. The KSC75 is probably the only consumer headphone that doesnt suck.

Apr 25, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #23 of 27
Gaming nerds? why does everyone use that term? Perhaps I should call you guys physcotic audiophile nuts, because the truth is, some of you people claim to hear differences in sound that I dont.. and im not completely deaf..

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gaming nerds? why does everyone use that term? Perhaps I should call you guys physcotic audiophile nuts, because the truth is, some of you people claim to hear differences in sound that I dont.. and im not completely deaf..

I think the word 'audiophile' by itself is enough to imply that we're somewhat lacking in the sanity department.
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 27
I use my AKG 701's plugged right into the front headphone jack of my X-Fi and I have the X-Fi settings set to "Game" all the time, 24 bit crystallizer on, everything optimized and maxed out and it sounds incredible IMO.

For music, I use the latest Foobar with SRC set to 192Khz and I think it's pretty danged respectable myself.

This isn't for my primary music listening and probably never will be.

Apr 28, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 27
play with your crystalizer settings a bit. i use x-fi and akg 701 and i like the crystalizer with them it livens up the cans a bit. i use stax sr-001 as well and you can really tell the artificial sound of the crystalizer when used with them. so i vary the intensity even with my akg 701s because i value a more natural sound but i do enjoy some liveliness as well.

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
play with your crystalizer settings a bit. i use x-fi and akg 701 and i like the crystalizer with them it livens up the cans a bit. i use stax sr-001 as well and you can really tell the artificial sound of the crystalizer when used with them. so i vary the intensity even with my akg 701s because i value a more natural sound but i do enjoy some liveliness as well.

I should mess around with it some more.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back