My new X-Fi has blown my mind (and a little of my wallet)
Apr 22, 2007 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

nylan8301

1000+ Head-Fier
I just want to say that I have never really had a good sound card in my computer.

After buying the SR-60's, I knew I really needed something better to help the quality, and as I've heard the next step in upgrade-itis after headphones are the source.

Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum sounds so very very nice.

I especially enjoy the front bay drive with the 1/4" plug.

I decided to demo it with my favorite techno band, Daft Punk. It's clarity is unmatched, good sirs and ladies.

I just want to say that I'm in (relative) audio bliss...

Even though my wallet certainly isn't "blissful"....

Thanks, Head-Fi!

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #3 of 27
mod it
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just want to say that I have never really had a good sound card in my computer.

After buying the SR-60's, I knew I really needed something better to help the quality, and as I've heard the next step in upgrade-itis after headphones are the source.

Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Platinum sounds so very very nice.

I especially enjoy the front bay drive with the 1/4" plug.

I decided to demo it with my favorite techno band, Daft Punk. It's clarity is unmatched, good sirs and ladies.

I just want to say that I'm in (relative) audio bliss...

Even though my wallet certainly isn't "blissful"....

Thanks, Head-Fi!

nylan8301, congratulations! Excellent card -- and great suite of apps that comes with it. I do about 70% of my listening with computer as soucrce, and the X-Fi is the key. Have fun!

Apr 22, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #5 of 27
I agree, mod it.
If you don't want to spend to much money, just get the free opamp samples from national. shipping at most is like.. what... 10 bux?

then you will be even more surprised at the sound.

Apr 22, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't listen to the modders
wink.gif
. If you down the line desire better sound, buy an external DAC and AMP.

As for now, X-Fi's are really a great option!

Bird dog, you're making a lot of horse sense. Why cut when you can plug, eh?

Apr 23, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 27
Seeing as how the x-fi is well north of $200, how does it compare to a dac in that price range?

Edit: the xtremegamer is only $75, but it doesnt look very good. Is it any better than an AV710?

Apr 23, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #11 of 27
Most of you people who are saying the dac/amp is like so much better than the xfi obviously havent tried an xfi. The X-Fi alone is an amazing card and sounds really amazing. Perhpaps not super duper audiophile quality, but some of us semi-audiophiles worship the xfi for its incredible sound. Im modding mine in a bit, hopefully it will surpass my expectations once again.

Apr 23, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most of you people who are saying the dac/amp is like so much better than the xfi obviously havent tried an xfi. The X-Fi alone is an amazing card and sounds really amazing. Perhpaps not super duper audiophile quality, but some of us semi-audiophiles worship the xfi for its incredible sound. Im modding mine in a bit, hopefully it will surpass my expectations once again.

Check out my sig, I've used the X-Fi without an external dac or amp for a year and a half. Then I used just the X-Fi + MicroAMP for a month or so, which is when I bought the MicroDAC.

The X-Fi does sound great, but nowhere near as good as the MicroStack (which happens to be a modest amp/dac, nothing over the top)

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by haclongba /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compare by me and some other: X-fi Plan/Prodigy Hi-fi 7.1 = 6.5/10 ....X-fi not worth the price and the quality is .....

You keep asserting that the X-Fi is not worth it; have you posted a comparison or review of it on the site before? If not, please elaborate more on what your impressions of the X-Fi were.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #15 of 27
the modded X-fi is a solid source for the price.. period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back