My new Woo Audio WA5-LE "The Black Beauty"
Dec 15, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #106 of 112
the rubber would probably be BETTER - audioholics proved that these spikes are actually optimal at transferring vibration INTO equipment

Quote:
Very hi-tech indeed and great looking, too. But would wouldn't the original rubber feet be equally as effective at reducing vibrations as those metal spike replacements?

Dec 15, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #107 of 112

Quote:
the rubber would probably be BETTER - audioholics proved that these spikes are actually optimal at transferring vibration INTO equipment

Quote:
Very hi-tech indeed and great looking, too. But would wouldn't the original rubber feet be equally as effective at reducing vibrations as those metal spike replacements?

If that's true then they would be the very last thing you'd want for a tube amp.

Dec 15, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #108 of 112

Quote:

Quote:

Doug, would you happen to have a link to the post?  It is my understanding that the shape of the points act as a block to diminish vibration from transfering from the table to the unit.  I'm not an expert and am always looking to learn more so I don't waste my money.

Thanks.

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #109 of 112

Quote:

Quote:

Using both on my Woo FTW: 

Stock rubber feet for vibration and a maple platform with brass spikes for isolation 
atsmile.gif

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #110 of 112

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Using both on my Woo FTW: 

Stock rubber feet for vibration and a maple platform with brass spikes for isolation 
atsmile.gif

Interesting.  Where did you get the wood platform?

Dec 15, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #111 of 112
Timber Nation

Lots of options there, my TT is on a 2" thick version.

May 11, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #112 of 112
Ancient thread that I will RAISE FROM THE DEAD... Just because this spiking stuff is largely ignored on this forum and it's one of the cheapest quick-fixes for audibly better sound there is.

Isolation spikes do work, but they are only a portion of the solution. As el Doug pointed out, when used by themselves they can actually do more harm than good. The point of a spike is to channel the vibrations from the component. However when the component is spiked and then merely placed on a table, vibrations may also travel into the component. A vibration sink is needed. Grokit has it exactly right... A nice thick piece of maple on it's own isolation spikes does a terrific job. The maple acts as a sink for both the vibration coming from the component, and the vibrations that may be present on your average dining table, shelf space shared with other components, etc. By spiking the component and spiking the maple, you are essentially suspending the vibration sink (the maple) between the component and whatever it is resting on.

Mapleshade Records has a whole theory on this that I generally agree with... Although I find that nice heavy brass spikes with a height and diameter of around an inch (which can be had for as little as $1.75 a spike) do just as good a job as some massive 2 pound brass "footer" at $90 for 3.

A nice DIY maple platform is very inexpensive. I'm making one right now for a Woo WA7 that's coming. I'll be using an 8"x8" piece of 2" thick rock maple, and some of the Sewell short spikes you can find on Amazon for $28 for a set of 8 (I'm splurging on those, but they are nice). Total cost should be roughly $40, including the finished wood.

Important note... Always use a 3-spike configuration for the isolation platform. This ensures it will sit evenly. With 4 spikes, there will be movement, even on what appears to be a flat surface. For the component you can use either 3 or 4 (assuming your platform is perfectly flat), but I still like to use 3, unless the component is small enough where 3 will cause it to be too easily upset. For the WA7, I'll probably use 4. But we'll see. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back