My New toy....
Apr 26, 2006 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

nakedtoes

500+ Head-Fier
Just got this toy to play...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Picture014.jpg

After about 10 hrs of playing with RS-1... I can said that the sound from the amp is very very warm yet balance.. The Mids from the RS-1 is so much liquid smoother and plentiful.. Bass has the slam and yet not that muddy as previously new.. Going to get some better power cord..
orphsmile.gif

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 32
If you don't mind me asking; where did you buy this amp and how much did it cost?
Thanks!

Apr 26, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 32
Apr 26, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #6 of 32
it sounds suprisely good also..
biggrin.gif

It is the internal light

Apr 26, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #8 of 32
Nice!!

Those usually go for ~$200 + $65 S/H on ebay. I saw one end at $160 but didn't meet the reserve.

How is the noise, hiss and hum with those Grados? I think youre one of only a couple here to own that amp.

Apr 27, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Nice!!

Those usually go for ~$200 + $65 S/H on ebay. I saw one end at $160 but didn't meet the reserve.

How is the noise, hiss and hum with those Grados? I think youre one of only a couple here to own that amp.

Yeah there are a very few of them owning this amp here actually. I searched the forum.. and during yr meets , ppl are saying good things abt this amp.....This is a very quiet and clean amp... Initially i hear hiss with my ER4S... then i change another CD.. and realise thats hiss actually comes from the recording... Now my listenable CD collections is shrinking..
frown.gif

You can get directly from the link i post above.. + shipping to USA i believe about USD150. that is a steal price for a headphone amp cum pre-amp. If you understand chinese can see the specs.. they are using quality parts too..

200591114543.jpg

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:45 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
Yeah there are a very few of them owning this amp here actually. I searched the forum.. and during yr meets , ppl are saying good things abt this amp.....This is a very quiet and clean amp... Initially i hear hiss with my ER4S... then i change another CD.. and realise thats hiss actually comes from the recording... Now my listenable CD collections is shrinking..
frown.gif

You can get directly from the link i post above.. + shipping to USA i believe about USD150. that is a steal price for a headphone amp cum pre-amp. If you understand chinese can see the specs.. they are using quality parts too..

200591114543.jpg

How do you power it here in the US?.. the back panel says 220V
?

Garrett

Apr 27, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #11 of 32
This is interesting... Not too sure also.. I will try to email the manufacter

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #12 of 32
If they do not offer a 110 version, you can buy a 110>220 volt up-converters.But you need to know the current draw in amps or watts to make shure you get the right size. There is a formula to convert watts to amps or visa versa but I dont remember the formula offhand.Hopefully both use the same spec..Maybe someone else can add more on this, as I am trying to remember electronic classes that I took back in high school----we were still studying tube theory back then.Solid state was a new emerging technoligy. Oops I am giving away to much info.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roddey
If they do not offer a 110 version, you can buy a 110>220 volt up-converters.But you need to know the current draw in amps or watts to make shure you get the right size. There is a formula to convert watts to amps or visa versa but I dont remember the formula offhand.Hopefully both use the same spec..Maybe someone else can add more on this, as I am trying to remember electronic classes that I took back in high school----we were still studying tube theory back then.Solid state was a new emerging technoligy. Oops I am giving away to much info.
rolleyes.gif

W=V*A... I think

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 32
I just ran a search and it hit on these---http://www.popularelect.com/upanddown.html.
I am not advertising, just trying to find out the cost myself as I just got a email back on the pre-amp from the overseas suppliyer. I need to ask next if they have a 110 version, but I am doubting it. I was thinking about pairing one of these with the Zhaolu dac's at about 300 dollars for everything. Not bad

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #15 of 32
I used to own the 708A. I see it's up to 708B, but have no idea what the differences are. Mine was wired for US voltage. The main issue I ran into was the turn-on hum. As it powers up, there's a loud hum through headphones. Doesn't hurt anything, but it's a pain. Tuberolling can improve sound a bit, but not much. If you go too far and get really "good" NOS tubes, the sound falls apart. The rectifier tube socket uses a Chinese tube. You have to rewire that socket to use other tubes that are electrically equivalent (except that the case is too short: guess how I found that out
tongue.gif
).

Extremely nice "tubey" sound that I really liked with ATH-W100. To me, this did for AT headphones the same thing that the Radii HAP-03 did for Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back