My new RP-HJE900's don't sound good... did I get a bad pair?
Jul 6, 2010 at 11:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tahwwhat

New Head-Fier
I recently bought panasonic RP-HJE900's, as recommended to me on the forum, but they sound HORRIBLE to me.  When I plug them into my computer/ipod, before I even start the music they produce a very noticeable background buzz/hiss.  Supposedly, they are supposed to have great bass response, but my cheapie $20 ipod headphones seem to produce much the same bass effect.  I notice obvious distortion, particularly on the higher treble sounds in my music. I have tried all three sizes of flange and all different positions and angles in my ears, and it never seems to get much better.

Maybe I am just not used to earbuds.  Is there any possibility that I was somehow ripped off, and bought a fake of these headphones?  Are they defective?  Or are the phenomena I'm noticing normal?

Thanks,

T

Jul 14, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #3 of 5
These have a pretty unique sound signature that I've yet to hear in another headphone/earphone, and I don't think they're for everyone(no headphone is). You might simply need to get used to it, like many of us had to(or never did)

But your description is a bit weird. They have very powerful bass, I've never noticed distortion on them, and though they are quite revealing, it shouldn't be as bad as you described. Also, the default panasonic tips are tiny. The largest one was the only one that fit me, and I have medium/medium-small ears, so you might very well still not be getting a proper seal.

However, these issues still seem like things that aren't necesarily defects. I still think it might just be you needing to get used to it. The "distortion" you hear might just be their initially harsh highs(which definitely settle down after burn in, though still kinda sharp). The hiss might just be the revealingness of the headphones combined with a poor source. The lack of bass might still be a poor seal.

My recommendation would be to buy some Comply tips(model T400, I believe), which though I personally don't like the sound of them on these, might be good for you. They emphasize bass, will ensure a proper seal, and will relieve the harsh treble. They can be purchased at virtually any radioshack. If not, try going for Sony hybrids, which do the same as the Comply but to a significantly lesser extent, and should be available at any best buy.

Jul 14, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Send them back and get some RE0s.  That's what I did and was very happy for it.  I may have had some bad HJE900s too since I thought they sounded awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back