MY new LCD-2's
Jul 11, 2012 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ken6217

Headphoneus Supremus
I got these today. They certainly are massive and certainly not the most comfortable.

In the instructions it say to fluff the are pads as they may have shifted etc in the box. Is the thickness supposed to be the same all around? On one side it is about 1 1/4" thick and on another side it is less than 3/4".

I assume that these will sound better after breakin? I am using it with ans ALO Rx Mk3 amp and CLAS DAC.

What are the main differences between the LCD-2 and LCD-3.

Thanks,
Ken

Jul 12, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 5
I find the LCD-2 more revealing than the LCD-3 because the pairs I compared with each other showed this.  The LCD-3 was a tad darker and had some issues with soundstage.  The LCD-2 I had sounded more open especially so in the treble which is where we get a ton of our soundstage cues from.

As for the thickness perhaps it was caused by how they were packaged?  Give them a week or so to relax and then if the problem still persists take a picture and send to the Audeze.  It could be a quality issue.

Finally, be sure to lift the headphones up and better center them around your ear canal to get the best sound out of them.  I especially had to do this with a pair of HE-500 headphones.  I lifted them up using an old Grado Comfy earpad I had sitting around.  I placed it at the vertex of my head and rested the headband on it.  It was actually quite comfortable and made a world of difference in regards to the soundstage.  The HE-500 remains my top headphone for the Planars.

Jul 12, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #3 of 5
Jul 12, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 5
As far as the pad thickness, are you saying not the same thickness on the same side? The pads are purposely angled to where the sound hits your ear from a forward angle. If you mean between the two different pads, I agree with what the guy above said. Give it some time to relax and then start to worry a bit. Still, I believe they sell replacement pads and other non stock pads that are better than stock and they won't break the bank.

Jul 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
As far as the pad thickness, are you saying not the same thickness on the same side? The pads are purposely angled to where the sound hits your ear from a forward angle. If you mean between the two different pads, I agree with what the guy above said. Give it some time to relax and then start to worry a bit. Still, I believe they sell replacement pads and other non stock pads that are better than stock and they won't break the bank.

Thickness wise the LCD-2/3 pads are about the same...maybe the LCD-3's pads are a bit thicker...but much softer. FWIW, Audeze will only sell the LCD-3 pads to current LCD-3 owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back