My new lappy!
Jul 11, 2008 at 11:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Well given the crappy even that my laptop got stolen, here's what arrived today:

prod_satX205-FFDWH_225.jpg

Specs:
Gaming Laptop - Satellite X205-SLi6

Of course I paid less than that....but that's the manufacturers page. I also was able to get XP media center put on it and shaved off a couple hundo.
biggrin.gif

I was really impressed by how well my last Toshiba performed, I bought another. Brand loyal I guess.

Removed the usual garbage, stripped her down, installed NOD32 and a couple other apps. Now I'm almost back to 100%. I'm out all the saved pics, corel, pshop, illustrator, flash, and dreamweaver files I had saved for various work, but thankfully all of the files I was using, were uploaded onto servers, so all I have to do is DL all the files from my webservers and be back to 100%. I'm looking at it as a forced cleaning of my HD. Lost lots of pron though, lol.

Otherwise, I'm satisfied with how this beast performs. It seems to run pretty effin hot though, and it's not the lightest thing. Not used to a 17in screen either. There's also alot more crap programs I had to remove, and the HP out, I was expecting more from a "gaming and multimedia machine", but you can't have it all I guess. I couldn't convert to Mac, and I needed HD space, so I couldn't go uber thin IBM...and well, it was cheaper by nearly a grand.

Good stuff....good to be back on a laptop, and just in time for the trip back home through the airports. The touch was getting a bit tedious!

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #4 of 46
^ That's what the WSOP does for you. And that was last month.

Jul 12, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought you didn't have money last month.

what?

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you won 2000 dollars in a poker tournament? grats

He was dealing for it. I guess that's his paycheck.

If he won WSOP he'd be rolling around in money and buying Orpheuses left and right.

And that laptop is just excessive.
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #10 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you won 2000 dollars in a poker tournament? grats

hah...I wish...

I was a dealer in the WSOP. I say was because I'm now done for the 2008 season as the final few tables use their "A-list dealers". If you ever watch it on TV, you'll notice, the same 5-6 dealers are always on TV....nothing really happened on any of the tables I was on, so you likely won't see me on TV.

Maybe next year though.

The graphics are definitely a plus when using Corel and Illustrator. The slow down I had before, with pixelizing -> focus on complex images when moving around/scrolling is no longer there.....good stuff. I'm still getting used to 17"...the jump feels so much larger than it really is. Been playing on 15" too much.

The sound really sucks though. Both the speakers and HP jack. I don't know what to expect really I guess. Cause I was expecting it to be great and a HUGE step up from my last Satellite, but really, it's barely better, if at all.

HEAVY though. The two HDs make for a SERIOUS weight hog...which honestly, one of them is more than enough as I only used up 40% of my last laptops 200gb HD. When I was purchasing it, I thought the number was for ONE HD...when I got it, I realized it was for TWO, and then realized why it was so damn heavy. BUT, I figure the weight of this laptop is about the weight of carrying external HDs with cords in addition to a 3-4lb lappy...so when it's on my shoulder in the bag, the weight is the same...gotta look at the positive side I guess, lol.

Although I didn't put it on my last laptop (and now wish I did), I have a free disc here for LoJack for laptops. I got it when I worked at Officemax and was supposed to use it on my computer for a demo PC, but never got around to it cause it never really sold in the stores. I thought "Psssshhh, when am I ever going to use that?" Now I can see how I would, lol.

Jul 12, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hah...I wish...

I was a dealer in the WSOP. I say was because I'm now done for the 2008 season as the final few tables use their "A-list dealers". If you ever watch it on TV, you'll notice, the same 5-6 dealers are always on TV....nothing really happened on any of the tables I was on, so you likely won't see me on TV.

Maybe next year though.

The graphics are definitely a plus when using Corel and Illustrator. The slow down I had before, with pixelizing -> focus on complex images when moving around/scrolling is no longer there.....good stuff. I'm still getting used to 17"...the jump feels so much larger than it really is. Been playing on 15" too much.

The sound really sucks though. Both the speakers and HP jack. I don't know what to expect really I guess. Cause I was expecting it to be great and a HUGE step up from my last Satellite, but really, it's barely better, if at all.

HEAVY though. The two HDs make for a SERIOUS weight hog...which honestly, one of them is more than enough as I only used up 40% of my last laptops 200gb HD. When I was purchasing it, I thought the number was for ONE HD...when I got it, I realized it was for TWO, and then realized why it was so damn heavy. BUT, I figure the weight of this laptop is about the weight of carrying external HDs with cords in addition to a 3-4lb lappy...so when it's on my shoulder in the bag, the weight is the same...gotta look at the positive side I guess, lol.

Although I didn't put it on my last laptop (and now wish I did), I have a free disc here for LoJack for laptops. I got it when I worked at Officemax and was supposed to use it on my computer for a demo PC, but never got around to it cause it never really sold in the stores. I thought "Psssshhh, when am I ever going to use that?" Now I can see how I would, lol.

Lojack it and install Logmein on it. If it has a webcam, then you can login to the computer and turn on the webcam so you can see who stole it.

Hows the battery life on that thing?

Jul 12, 2008 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 46
Nice.

If anything i would downisze to a 12" lenovo if i had the money.

That would leave me with the 12" at dads and at home in bed/lounge and a 22" gamer desktop at mums in my room.

I love my toshiba, 1.6 c2d, 2gb ram, 120gb HDD, 15.4 inch HD to-go, vista home premium. PS CS1, Winamp, 4od, Firefox, Nod32, Zonealarm, Adaware se personal, safari, IE7, live messanger and tons of other stuff.

12" would be good as easier to move around the house and take to dads, but 15" is a good substitute to my gamer when away, but too large to take to school/out when i go out for a day, so i think a top spec 12" lenovo oneday if i have the money!

My Satellite A100 has Harmon and Kardon speakers and sounds ok, far better than my sisters new Vostro 1510. I use a Behringer u control, but you have the magnum you lucky thing
frown.gif

Matt

Jul 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #14 of 46
well i think you would have been better of getting a 15 incher with one of the 9000 series cards. just as fast as this sli setup only alot lighter maybe even faster.

Jul 12, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 46
I didn't see anything 12-15" that really inspired me that WASN'T a tablet that had HD space and didn't cost me both my legs and half my arm. Maybe I overlooked some, but I was also pretty bent on getting a Toshiba.

As far as battery life goes, unsure, I just plugged it in and went. But a 6000mAh battery, seems a little lacking for TWO hd's and a 17in screen. Especially considering all the BS I had to remove running in the background, so I doubt it was set-up to run optimally from the factory to begin with. Well, keeping things in perspective, the two AA lithiums I put in my baby stax are 3000mAh each (6000mAh total).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back