my new HD650 sounded awful... but not anymore! (updated title)
Jul 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #61 of 111
I preferred the brighter slightly piercing treble on the A900s more. But here's the beauty of headphones and human ears - you get used to something and this happens after getting some 50~100 listening hours in.

This is not about burn in. A particular sound sig grows on you. After the bassy A900s I found my SR225s also deficient, but then I started getting the mid-range and found the treble extends but not as harshly. The bass also settled. I felt it had become more than before, but as with the HD 650 it was also because my ears got accustomed to it...

Jul 30, 2009 at 11:21 AM Post #62 of 111
I LOVED the HD650s after coming from the Denon MD2000 and Grado SR60s. Even after adding the SR225s, the HD650s are still my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES! The only upgrade from here is the HD800s and they're just a BIT out of my price range!
smile_phones.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #63 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Werm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know you said no mods.....but have you tried removing those thick foam pads that cover the drivers? I can't stand ANY Senn's with those pads in place. You might as well put a pillow over your speaker!
very_evil_smiley.gif
Try removing those pads, it's so simple to do and if you don't like it, they are easy to reinstall.
k701smile.gif

If you can't return them, you might want to try this easy mod. I have the RP21 which was not thrilling me at all, in a similar way that your 650's isn't thrilling you...though the RP21 has plenty of bass. But compared to the 240DF...where's the treble? Since I was about to get rid of them anyway, I figured 'what the hey', and removed the pads as people in the long Equation thread recommended. Now I like them WAY better and they're keepers. I just needed to hear some treble in my music, which is mostly rock or jazz. I'm a former drummer and when there's weak treble I first notice it in cymbals and hi-hats.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #64 of 111
There's the defoam mod(free and easily reversible) which would brighten up the HD650 slightly and recabling brings some nice improvement to the overall SQ as well.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #66 of 111
Those are near top of the line headphones. IMO, I wouldn't sell just yet. You just got them, so give them some burn in time and time to adjust to their sound. If you still don't like them, try the mod. It made a BIG difference with my Equations.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #68 of 111
As things go, I dont think i will sell them. some neutrality won't hurt..it also nice to try different sounds and experiment.
at the moment i don't have the money to upgrade the cable or gear or anything..but i know this: the hd650 is the can that deserve going balance and cable upgrade. my other two headphones doesn't need these upgrades because the sound good as they are.

as soon as i save some money i will think of going balance.

...and i thought it will end sometime...
k701smile.gif
i guess you can never get rid of upgradtits.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #69 of 111
Just bit surprised that you so frustrated, cos you are not one day member and probably have seen lots of posts about how to drive HD650 to their potentials, don't you?
First, matched source. Second, new cable. Third, matched amp. That's why I think of them as one of the most overpriced high end plastics up here, they cost like USD 280, but need USD 3000 of extra investment to shine. Yes, they do deliver all that kind of stuff that people talking/writing about, but just check their rigs man. The rest is just sound preference, so I leave it there.
You bought Mullards for them, why? I remember you were looking for some tubes and as far I can recall there were some suggestions like Telefunkens and Tungsrams, which are the best for such headphones, imo. Mullards are for Grado's and K1000 or some with close sig to them.

From what I can read, they are simply under or wrongly powered, imo.

Jul 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #70 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why I think of them as one of the most overpriced high end plastics up here, they cost like USD 280, but need USD 3000 of extra investment to shine.

Yikes! Thanks for the warning. I don't think I will be buying the high end Senns. any time in the near or forseeable future. Does the same hold true for the hd600/580?

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #71 of 111
Quote:

Just bit surprised that you so frustrated, cos you are not one day member and probably have seen lots of posts about how to drive HD650 to their potentials, don't you?
First, matched source. Second, new cable. Third, matched amp. That's why I think of them as one of the most overpriced high end plastics up here, they cost like USD 280, but need USD 3000 of extra investment to shine. Yes, they do deliver all that kind of stuff that people talking/writing about, but just check their rigs man. The rest is just sound preference, so I leave it there.
You bought Mullards for them, why? I remember you were looking for some tubes and as far I can recall there were some suggestions like Telefunkens and Tungsrams, which are the best for such headphones, imo. Mullards are for Grado's and K1000 or some with close sig to them.

From what I can read, they are simply under or wrongly powered, imo.

I would like to say that i am listening right noe to the hd650 with my ef1 and they don't sound like yesterday at all. suddenly i can feel the more bass and they sound is more smooth and not too flat...can't explain it. maybe they just needed one day of heavy use to open up a little.
by the way, i don't think at all that they lack highs, despite the mullards is a warm tube, i like it with the HD650. they maybe warm but not like the denons which i got used to their bass.

after the hd650's bass will open up a little i will use the tungsram and tungsol tubes to cold them up a little.
I am sure that they excell with more high end gear, but for the moment i have no money for upgrading so i will have to use what i have.

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #72 of 111
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sell everything and get the 800

X2...don't waste time and money...just grab the hd800s and be done unless you enjoy the journey and the experience gained by said journey.

biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #73 of 111
from all the posts i read about the hd650,i realised that cable and balance drive can improve them but it is not mandatory at all. you can get good sound out of them only by using a very good amp and matching ofcourse.

the problem with my setup is that i build my rig on the hd5000 and the rs1 which is rather low impedance cans and sound very different from the senns.

but I also know that the headroom ultra micro amp (together with the dac and the astrodyne psu) can handle anything just fine.
I guess i will never know how it is to "fully" drive the senns until i try them with a high end amp.

EDIT: guys...I just hook them up to the ultra micro amp again...and it is much more powerful from the EF1 (although less warm sounding and more analytical) and the senns sound great right now! couldn't hurt just a little more bass slam but i will get used to it.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #74 of 111
Hey, just wanted to echo something a few others have been saying:
Remove the foam - you can always put it back in if you need to.

Just try it and see whether you prefer it with or without (Also, some people prefer to replace the original foam with stocking material or similar).

Cheapest mod there is - no foam in my HD650's. My upgrade path was Benchmark DAC1 and move to a balanced cable (Equinox), but I'm using the computer as a source. Still significantly cheaper than $3K USD though.

Jul 30, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #75 of 111
Quote:

Oh, so true...
frown.gif

Out of my headphones, the HD650 caused the most pain to my wallet (it's a high maintenance bitch). 2nd being the K701. Grado's have treated me the best, one of the reasons why I love them.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back