My new ARIA has arrived.
Dec 21, 2005 at 9:53 PM Post #47 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
Okay, trying to do a comparison here - this is what I have done.

I have run two instances of Foobar, one setup for the USB DAC, one setup to output through my Audigy 2 using Kernal Streaming as I would do normally.

Starting the same song, 5 seconds after the other, and switching between the inputs on the amp at various points to see of the differences. My conclusion - currently I cannot tell a difference. If so, it is very minor, and in favour of the DAC.

...I am somewhat new to this forum, so I hope that I am not speaking out of school, but IMHO this is not a good way to compare hi-end audio products (I speak from over 30 years of listening to moderate priced audiophile gear). I find SQ best compared by playing a passage (say a minute or two) on product A, then repeat same passage for product B. Do this several times, and seek to identify the sonic character of the options being compared.

My 2 cents...
wink.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #48 of 396
Could someone give some more detailed impressions of the amp as well as the DAC. I am particularly interested in synergy potential with DT-880s but any info would be useful.

PS I hope those of you who have it are running it night and day so we can get a burnt in impression ASAP
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #49 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph34rful
I hope the DAC improves with burn-in!
As I was going to get rid of my Emu...
But it sounds like I might need to keep it.

Oh, come on, your a seasoned member here. It's a brand new piece that needs time to break in, not to mention he needs to spend more time just listening to the USB DAC only for a while (days) and then switch back to the Audigy and THEN see how things shake out. Don't make your decions based on first day impressions from people! Amazing!

Dec 21, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #50 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H
Oh, come on, your a seasoned member here. It's a brand new piece that needs time to break in, not to mention he needs to spend more time just listening to the USB DAC only for a while (days) and then switch back to the Audigy and THEN see how things shake out. Don't make your decions based on first day impressions from people! Amazing!

I would agree. I am merely posting my current results. Like I said. Take it with a pinch of salt
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:04 PM Post #52 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0
So many posts and not a decent review. What has the world come to!

we just have to be patient and wait for things to settle in that's all - i'm certain the owners are a bit too excited or spazzy to really settle down themselves and analytically rip it apart for our pleasure
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #53 of 396
Yeah, and mine just arrived today, but I can;t even open the box until Xmas morning
rolleyes.gif

It will be a while before anyone can post a really meanigful review.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #54 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
I noticed somebody mentioning to use an ASIO4ALL plugin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby B.
Well, I didn't get that error message but instead there was no sound at all when I used KS with foobar, although the song was actually playing. I got the same problem with the ASIO plug-in, so I had to switch back to DirectSound.

On my setup it first worked with ASIO4ALL V2.6. After a restart I had the exact same problem: no error message, music playing, but: no sound.

After some investigation I tried V1.8 and it's fine even after a few restarts.

The Version 1.8 of the plugin can still be download on asio4all.com.
Just look up under "history".

Dec 22, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #55 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos
On my setup it first worked with ASIO4ALL V2.6. After a restart I had the exact same problem: no error message, music playing, but: no sound.

After some investigation I tried V1.8 and it's fine even after a few restarts.

The Version 1.8 of the plugin can still be download on asio4all.com.
Just look up under "history".

Would you say that Asio4All produces a better output than DirectSound? I have no knowledge of how to obtain this output. I have attempted to install ASIO4ALL and the ASIO plugin for Foobar but got stuck there. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #56 of 396
shuurajou, Sisyphos and other ARIA owners,

How's the temperature of the ARIA? Is this very hot? I am planning to put my ibook on top of the ARIA, does it sound ok?
confused.gif
I am really running out of space on my desk.

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #58 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvbb2005
shuurajou, Sisyphos and other ARIA owners,

How's the temperature of the ARIA? Is this very hot? I am planning to put my ibook on top of the ARIA, does it sound ok?
confused.gif
I am really running out of space on my desk.

It very cood actually,
rolleyes.gif

But the top of Aria is not flat and too small. I think I cant even put my NC4000 on top of it!

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:25 AM Post #59 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean H

I have indeed been here several years. But that does not change the fact that in my opinion things do not change THAT much from burn-in. And if the Aria's DAC was a clear step above the Audigy's then it should be apparent even without burn-in. Of course this is just how I feel about it. However, I am certainly not planning to base my purchase upon one's first impressions. And will definitely be on the lookout for the "general consensus" once more people have received their units and had time to give them a good listen.

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:45 AM Post #60 of 396
One (hopefully final) question, does anyone with the Aria also have/have had the gilmore lite and if so can you give any comparisions. Thanks for your time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back