My new ARIA has arrived.
Dec 21, 2005 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by shuurajou
I noticed somebody mentioning to use an ASIO4ALL plugin - I've always used Kernal streaming :s.

And you can keep using Kernel Streaming since ASIO4All is a wrapper not an ASIO api. In other words ASIO4All takes an ASIO command and converts it to the DirectSound equivilent before your soundcard sees it. Ie Kernel Streaming achieves the desired result and ASIO4All only makes you think you have. ASIO4All = DirectSound. Now the Foobar ASIO plugin however does provide real ASIO native support.

Dec 21, 2005 at 4:49 PM Post #32 of 396
Shuurajou -
You must hurry home and let us know how the Aria compares to the Emu!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 6:02 PM Post #33 of 396
I too am interested in how its internal DAC compares to an EMU

anyone have acess to a microDAC???? Id love to see the comparison between the two!

please post your impressions with whatever you compare it against
icon10.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:01 PM Post #34 of 396
Unfortunately I am unable to get my Corda ARIA DAC to work with Kernal streaming on Foobar. I have attempted to reinstall foobar. I get the following...

ERROR (foo_out_ks) : KS output error: error opening device.

Without being able to use Kernal Streaming I cannot do a fair comparison.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #35 of 396
Quote:

Unfortunately I am unable to get my Corda ARIA DAC to work with Kernal streaming on Foobar. I have attempted to reinstall foobar. I get the following...

Well, I didn't get that error message but instead there was no sound at all when I used KS with foobar, although the song was actually playing. I got the same problem with the ASIO plug-in, so I had to switch back to DirectSound.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #36 of 396
I'm pretty sure you cannot use Kernel Streaming or ASIO with a USB DAC, only ASIO4ALL, which is another disadvantage of USB audio. None of them work correctly with my Firestone Audio "Fubar" USB DAC, so essentially I am not bypassing kmixer.
frown.gif

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #37 of 396
Wow - I didn't expect that. This is a great dissapointment to me. I was hoping to replace my Audigy 2 as a source (can't use my emu 1212m right now). Now I can't use Kernal Streaming I'm not sure which will be better audio wise. The difference is not as night and day as I had hoped.

I'm finding the output a little gritty than I am used to. It could be the 16bit, or it could be that this DAC is far more analytical of the music.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #38 of 396
Quote:

How does it compare to the Emu using directsound?

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ph34rful
How does it compare to the Emu using directsound?

Unfortunately it is so long ago that I used my Emu 1212m now I am not able to judge fairly. I had some fairly large compatibility issues that resulted in blue screening with it. At times I am thinking that the Aria is better sounding than my Audigy 2 & my Corda HA-1 MKII combo - but I'm concerned this is just me wanting it to.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #40 of 396
Quote:

I'm finding the output a little gritty than I am used to. It could be the 16bit, or it could be that this DAC is far more analytical of the music.

It's probably the DAC, I've got the same impression. I really like it though.
The best thing about the Aria is imo the tight and deep bass extension. It just fits perfectly to the sound signatures of the HD 650.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #41 of 396
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobby B.
It's probably the DAC, I've got the same impression. I really like it though.
The best thing about the Aria is imo the tight and deep bass extension. It just fits perfectly to the sound signatures of the HD 650.

I'm undecided whether I like that type of sound yet. Overall I'm thinking yes. Time will tell. I just need to find out how to configure foobar to make the most of it
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm currently listening with my HF-1's. Maybe I should dig out my 650's.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #42 of 396
I hope the DAC improves with burn-in!
As I was going to get rid of my Emu...
But it sounds like I might need to keep it.

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:41 PM Post #43 of 396
Trying out my 650's - unfortunately that analytical grittyness is still present for me. I feel terrible saying this but I think I may keep using my Audigy 2 as a source for now. I'll post my feedback once I've had the time to listen.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #44 of 396
Be sure to allow plenty of break in time before jumping to conclusions.

Dec 21, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #45 of 396
Okay, trying to do a comparison here - this is what I have done.

I have run two instances of Foobar, one setup for the USB DAC, one setup to output through my Audigy 2 using Kernal Streaming as I would do normally.

Starting the same song, 5 seconds after the other, and switching between the inputs on the amp at various points to see of the differences. My conclusion - currently I cannot tell a difference. If so, it is very minor, and in favour of the DAC. Whether or not this is to do with me reducing the output volume of the Audigy 2 so that it did match the volume of the DAC input I am not sure.

So, the DAC without Kernal Streaming and using DirectSound v2.0, if any difference, outperforms than my Audigy 2 using Kernal Streaming. I know this is not a fair comparison, so take what I say with a pinch of salt as I am not as articulate as I would like to be when it comes to describing the differences between sound.

I know most people view the Audigy 2 as something which would make their ears cry at the mere sight of the words spelling its name, but this is my current interpretation. I'm not deaf either I assure you. Upon visiting an audiologist I could hear the buzzing of his equipment on before he even began the test – apparently nobody had been able to do that before.

PS> Bare in mind that this is not my judgement of the AMP. This is my first interpretation of the DAC. The AMP is phenomenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back