My new amp : SP The Dragon
Nov 7, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 54
This amp was purchased used from Riceboy for all those trying to figure out how long he waited for it.

I think you need to check with Riceboy quickly to determine if you are supposed to have those tube sockets sitting empty as Earl pointed out. I think that it is not likely supposed to be run that way, but I am not sure about the two gain stage design. Is there a switch or something?

Nov 7, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #18 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voltron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This amp was purchased used from Riceboy for all those trying to figure out how long he waited for it.

I think you need to check with Riceboy quickly to determine if you are supposed to have those tube sockets sitting empty as Earl pointed out. I think that it is not likely supposed to be run that way, but I am not sure about the two gain stage design. Is there a switch or something?

Hey Voltron
smily_headphones1.gif
. Yup it was purchased from me and I have been in contact with Pompon daily. I gave him a write up on how to hook it up and instructions on the amp that I found from the former owner and Mikhail himself.

I did let Pompon know that he could leave the tubes empty in the 2nd gain stage. I know that the former owner didn't leave that empty I believe and Mikhail let me know that is fine.

I did let Pompon know that I didn't have the D2000 or D5000 when I had the Dragon so I didn't try those cans, but I did mention that it should work for him and something doesn't sound right.

I also let him know that the K1000s and K340 was used with that amp and I did use the 2nd gain stage with tubes in it so the amp would have a lot more power to drive those two cans. It worked great.

I did advise Pompon to contact Mikhail if he has any further questions since Mikhail would know best and if he did have any other questions for me I would definitely help out the best I can
smily_headphones1.gif

I hope everything is working better now Pompon, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #19 of 54
It's difficult to compare MPX3 vs Dragon because I am not using the same tube.

Take 2 x MPX3-Slam you will not having the same performance. So many upgrade and options.

Dragon don't share the same construction as the MPX3, in fact this design have inspired the Extreme.

What is complicated is MPX3 and Dragon using the same tube don't give at the base the same sound. I think, we have to match amp/tubes/headphone together. We comparing a chain of elements to another one.

If that, Yes I prefer the Dragon over my MPX3! :xf_cool:

I will write a review when I will have done all my tests. :wink:

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #20 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by riceboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did advise Pompon to contact Mikhail if he has any further questions since Mikhail would know best

Yes, I sent an email to Mikhail today for somes informations.
I hope he will answer quickly. I don't talk english good enough to call him.

Nov 8, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #21 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I sent an email to Mikhail today for somes informations.
I hope he will answer quickly. I don't talk english good enough to call him.

Sounds good. I notice he responded within a day or two when I emailed him. I hope he can help you out. But again if you have any questions don't hesitate to let me know
smily_headphones1.gif
. I'm glad you are liking your Dragon as it is one special amp. Have a good one.

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #22 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something is wrong, somewhere.

Ya something seem to be worng with the unit.

The left transformer have a mecanical humm coming from it and it become VERY VERY hot.

Maybe a fault transformer is responsible for poor results using Denon D5000 (25 ohms).

I will have to send unit for a checkup ... will try local first ... it's probably not so complicated for someone with repair skills ...

Someone know if It's easy to have the tool to open it (seem a sort of Allen scews) ?

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #23 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The left transformer have a mecanical humm coming from it and it become VERY VERY hot.

It is normal for EI transformers to hum audibly. Heat depends on the transformer, and how much power its putting out. Depending how Mikhail wired the transformers one could get hotter than the other.

In case you are wondering, with the "REALLY BIG" output tubes, you are using about 60W JUST to run the heaters.
Quote:

Maybe a fault transformer is responsible for poor results using Denon D5000 (25 ohms).

You said it ran fine on the 5998 output tubes though.

If it were a power transformer you would know, and nothing would work right. Transformers are absurdly reliable and only really fail if abused.

My bet is the first tube you tried was either messed up, or a generally bad match. I would not worry, the REALLY BIG tubes all have the same output power in this amp. pick the output tube based on the sound, not power rating.
Quote:

Someone know if It's easy to have the tool to open it (seem a sort of Allen scews) ?

most repairmen will have the tools to open the amp.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:15 AM Post #24 of 54
This is why it is really handy, almost a must to have a tube tester and to know how to use one. Tubes, even when bought new, need to be checked periodically and more so when dealing with the power tubes. Many people get by without a tester and I can understand that as it is an additional expense and takes a while to understand what the measurements mean but it sure is handy.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #25 of 54
Thanks for your input Nikongod.

I let pompn know that the tubes I really like were the 2c51 Tung Sol with the 6528A Centrons but I primarily was listening to my R10s for quite a while.

I did let Pompon know that the transformer I don't remember it getting hot, but I was using it in a air conditioned room and I would never really touch the transformer as well.

Thanks again Nikongod.

Pompon has Mikhail responded to your questions? Keep us all updated please.

Nov 10, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #26 of 54
Hmmmm, catchy name. Me likes
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #28 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see two open sockets .... where are the driver stage tubes?

he was talking about switching some tubes for 6sn7 and told him they are mostly used as driver tubes and smaller output tubes! Not a good replacement!

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #29 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see two open sockets .... where are the driver stage tubes?

he was talking about switching some tubes for 6sn7 and told him they are mostly used as driver tubes and smaller output tubes! Not a good replacement!

So, it's not about what you see, but what he was talking about.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #30 of 54
don't mean to hijack the thread, but i can't find anything on the single power website.. not even the extreme.. where do you guys look for all this stuff from? how do you reckon it compares to the woo audio 6 se?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back