My New Album, Rabbit Dream
Mar 17, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #196 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Acix responded to my question about a lack of low bass.

Oh thanks for pointing that out, such a shame though! It's all mid-bass and lacks any depth, the brilliant details are there floating about in the vast soundstage but the bass line is lifeless.

Acix - If the bass was creating distortion on some systems isn't this just the system at fault and not your recording? Surely the best way to combat this would be to leave as-is and lower the bass on problematic systems.. after all it's easy to remove but impossible to bring back.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #197 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice work Acix, cool album cover too!

I play around a little in FL Studio making beats and what not, nothing as in-depth as this, something I've always wanted to get into more.

The only thing seemingly missing in the uploaded samples is sub-bass, how close to the original recordings are the uploaded files?

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, the CD has more refined bass than the mp3s on the site. And yes, it goes lower, but as I said before, I'm not into rumbling bass. The rumbling is part of the system coloration, meaning you can add whatever bass you want on your system.

BTW, I did have the Ultrasones. I checked my CD a lot with them and I can tell you one thing for sure; the PL 650 have a boost on the low-mid. For example, if you work with FL, you don't need to push the low-mid bass because of Ultrasone's coloration on the low-mid. Over time you'll figure it out as you work more with FL. I hope that answers your question.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #198 of 229
Quote:

Oh thanks for pointing that out, such a shame though! It's all mid-bass and lacks any depth, the brilliant details are there floating about in the vast soundstage but the bass line is lifeless.

Acix - If the bass was creating distortion on some systems isn't this just the system at fault and not your recording? Surely the best way to combat this would be to leave as-is and lower the bass on problematic systems.. after all it's easy to remove but impossible to bring back.

People think I don't like the 800, but if you listen to this CD with the 800 you'll definitely hear the full depth on the bass. Even with the 702s you'll hear deep bass. If you hear this music in a club, you'll change your mind in a heartbeat.
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #199 of 229
Surely if you add bass on any system this will take over any details in that region... for example if you have a bass tune playing between say 10hz and 40Hz and have a 40hz cut off the entire tune will be replaced with a solid rumble. Playing this in a club will do the exact same thing, it doesn't matter what bass detail is on a track it will be replaced with a solid tone, a club isn't exactly the best listening place.

I know I'm not hearing the original but how exactly will you hear bass depth on the HD800 and K702s? Surely if it's not there it won't just fill it in, unlike a club with a 40khz cut off.

Mar 17, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #200 of 229
Quote:

Surely if you add bass on any system this will take over any details in that region... for example if you have a bass tune playing between say 10hz and 40Hz and have a 40hz cut off the entire tune will be replaced with a solid rumble. Playing this in a club will do the exact same thing, it doesn't matter what bass detail is on a track it will be replaced with a solid tone, a club isn't exactly the best listening place.

I know I'm not hearing the original but how exactly will you hear bass depth on the HD800 and K702s? Surely if it's not there it won't just fill it in, unlike a club with a 40khz cut off.

Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean that I cut the whole tune. What I meant by cut is that I rolled off the bass in a bell shaped EQ. For example, on my CD, I roll off most of the tracks between 35-45Hz/ the low end. Regarding clubs, it depends on what systems they have. Some clubs that I know of start to roll off the bass between 80-90Hz. The thing is that the more power you have, the more you'll push the bass and it will be cleaner. This goes for everything from headphones to club systems. I hope I clarified myself here. English is not my first or even second language.
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #202 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine today. I haven't listened to it yet but I'm sure it will be awesome. Thanks Acix
biggrin.gif

Hey, glad you got it! Looks like it was fast. I wish I could put myself in an envelope and travel to Australia. Maybe soon, I'll just get on a plane and take a trip there.

Let me know how you like it.
biggrin.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:52 AM Post #203 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I didn't explain myself very well. I didn't mean that I cut the whole tune. What I meant by cut is that I rolled off the bass in a bell shaped EQ. For example, on my CD, I roll off most of the tracks between 35-45Hz/ the low end. Regarding clubs, it depends on what systems they have. Some clubs that I know of start to roll off the bass between 80-90Hz. The thing is that the more power you have, the more you'll push the bass and it will be cleaner. This goes for everything from headphones to club systems. I hope I clarified myself here. English is not my first or even second language.
smile.gif

I get ya now... I just don't understand why you would master a CD like that considering every electronic track I own isn't like this, unless of course you think they do it wrong? I do have a few poor recordings that are +DB but this I presume is something else entirely, those do distort and sound poor on any system. Am I right in thinking in order to listen to your tracks you would have to EQ, is it just the bass?

Your English is perfect by the way!

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #204 of 229
Quote:

I get ya now... I just don't understand why you would master a CD like that considering every electronic track I own isn't like this, unless of course you think they do it wrong? I do have a few poor recordings that are +DB but this I presume is something else entirely, those do distort and sound poor on any system. Am I right in thinking in order to listen to your tracks you would have to EQ, is it just the bass?

Your English is perfect by the way!

Everyone rolls off the base at some point. Even if they don't do it intentionally, the bass will roll off on its own. So what you hear is after the roll off process. For example, after the mastering the track can increase 10dB, meaning the bass increases 10dB. If the original bass is increased by 10dB, it will be distorted, so it's a part of the mastering process to fit the bass in. I don't know if that makes any sense, but there are some calculations that I could get into when I do the mastering process, but that's a whole other thread that I'm not going to get into right now.

BTW, what do you think of the music?
smile.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #205 of 229
Sorry for the delay to report in, but yesterday I sent CDs to the following members: fishski13, Del Griffith, Phillip and Duane. You should get them by the beginning of next week. Thanks for the support guys, and just let me know when the CDs arrive.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #206 of 229
Hi Acix, I am looking forward to receiving your CD. I own K701, HD650, DT990. I bet your CD will sound great on each of them.
dt880smile.png
This will be my first electronic CD. Thanx!

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #207 of 229
Hi Acix, The cd arrived yesterday in perfect condition. Thank you for the extremely fast shipping. I was in the hospital for the last two days and it was great to arrive home to some cool new music that sounds killer on my Sony SA5Ks. Duane

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #209 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geared4me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Acix, The cd arrived yesterday in perfect condition. Thank you for the extremely fast shipping. I was in the hospital for the last two days and it was great to arrive home to some cool new music that sounds killer on my Sony SA5Ks. Duane

I'm glad you like it, take care.
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #210 of 229
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Acix, I am looking forward to receiving your CD. I own K701, HD650, DT990. I bet your CD will sound great on each of them.
dt880smile.png
This will be my first electronic CD. Thanx!

CD on the way to you.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back