My new AKG K701 sounding equal or worse than old BOSE triports, Need help
May 17, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #32 of 46
barthandelus,
i'm looking forward to your thoughts on the k701 plus maverick audio tubemagic d1.
i've read a good bit about the d1, and it seems to be a real performer for its $200 price.

congrats on your purchase!  i hope you enjoy it!!

May 18, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote: Originally Posted by VALIENTE   " Hi Barthandelus, good to know you have a good headphone. My K701 with a porta amp PA2V2 sound leveled or even greater with my Grado SR60. I assume if you pair it with a big desktop amp that has synergy with K701, you will be in sound heaven. By the way my amp just costs $60. You have a bigger budget, definitely better than my set-up. Based on my research, the following amps has synergy match with K701, which one of them I am buying for myself. 1. Audio GD C2C or Audio GD C2 from Kingwa of China 2. Little Dot MKV from Audiophile China 3. Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 4. Woo Audio WA6 5. Burson HA-160 6. __________________ Any unit from the list above, I assume will guarantee you musical bliss, which many users agreed. I am also buying one from the list, and what will that be is a surprise one. P.S. Below is my review of Grado SR60 VS AKG K701 http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/463718/grado- sr60-vs-akg-k701/0"

YAVALP

Don't listen to him. One post he say one thing and the next post he contradicts himself. He's full of them. Use a huge rock of salt with his recommendations.
That amp he has is NOT suitable for the 70x. The Millet SSH Tube however does a pretty darn decent job of driving them. Especially for the price. They even have the 70x show off a little more of their bass. I got mine assembled from a fellow Head-Fi'er. PM me if you want this for a great price. I wasn't even thinking of selling it but I really got it to see what it was all about. You'll even have enough for an external DAC. Then your setup will be sweet.
Peace,
Ross

EDIT:

I didn't see that you've already ordered an amp. My bad. Congrats and enjoy. No my amp isn't for sale to anyone else. Or at all for now. LoL! I was just trying to give a newbie a deal. :) -Ross

May 19, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #39 of 46

Quote:
you may be able to get a little dot amp for 250.  but, certainly won't get the dac along with it.
probably best to stay solid state amp/dac... 
audio-gd sparrow, i think, represents the best quality at this price point, from all i've read.

Little Dot Q.

$80.

May 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #42 of 46
If onboard sound is your source, you definitely want a DACAmp combo and the M-Stage, as good as it is for the price, sadly won't fill that requirement.

Look at the Aune or the Audinst MX1, I'd say.

May 20, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #43 of 46

I owned some Triports for an afternoon many years ago, and there is no way that a K702 sounds worse than a Triport - even one with no burn-in and plugged right into an integrated sound card.  

If you think the 702 sounds worse under any condition, then I am extremely doubtful that an amp will fix anything.  Try some Ultrasones or something.

May 27, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #44 of 46

Quote:
barthandelus,
i'm looking forward to your thoughts on the k701 plus maverick audio tubemagic d1.
i've read a good bit about the d1, and it seems to be a real performer for its $200 price.

congrats on your purchase!  i hope you enjoy it!!

Quote:

I owned some Triports for an afternoon many years ago, and there is no way that a K702 sounds worse than a Triport - even one with no burn-in and plugged right into an integrated sound card.  

If you think the 702 sounds worse under any condition, then I am extremely doubtful that an amp will fix anything.  Try some Ultrasones or something.

The Maverick Tubemagic D1 arrived today!! Just had a listening session for >1hr and compared with my old sources.

I had my doubts as well but this thing meets and exceeds all my expectations. The bass is a lot more powerful and tight now and everything is much more defined. Before, the vocals just 'drowned out' compared to other streams but now, all streams coexist in harmony. Very powerful too: I dare not turn it up beyond the half way mark. Even at very loud levels, the sound doesn't mush together and fall apart like my old sources (zune, on-board) and reminds me of few weeks ago watching Iron Man 2 in a digital theatre with >$10000(?) audio systems.

I am DEAD SURE now that the triport can't come anywhere close to the AKG +amp. I hear things that I never heard before with the bose and my AKGs are not even burned in yet!

May 27, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #45 of 46

It sounded to me like you wouldn't end up liking the signature of the 702, but I'm glad to hear that things have improved! 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back