My new AKG K701 sounding equal or worse than old BOSE triports, Need help
May 15, 2010 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Barthandelus

New Head-Fier

Man you guys were right about this thing, it really needs an amp
Its sounding like the drivers are not performing optimally because of the lack of power from my zune or on-board soundcard
the high pitched sounds are painful and bass is weak .. starting to miss my old Bose triports

So my budget is 200 max and I'm looking for an amp which will save my K701s ... might need it with a DAC since i don't have a soundcard
Are there any mainstream ones that comes to mind?

May 15, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 46
there are lots of options for a dac/amp at $200.  take care to read through some other posts here.
and, once you find something interesting, look at the specs (inputs, outputs, etc.)

1.  audio-gd sparrow
2.  matrix m-stage
3.  audinst hud mx-1
4.  maverick audio tubemagic

i might recommend stretching your budget by 50 bucks or a little more.  that puts you into solid territory with some very well reputed products...

some words of "wisdom". 
steer away from the hifiman ef2a.  i have it, and it isn't suitable for the k701/k702.  not enough power, in my opinion.

also steer away from portable (battery powered), or small usb-powered options like the nuforce udac.  nice, for what it is, but simply not enough power to make a big difference over a soundcard with the k701.  the dac will give you an appreciable difference, but the amp... i dunno.  i've listened to that combo and didn't really feel that the k702 was being powered to its fullest.

and i'm hoping some other folks will chime in with more.

May 15, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 46

thanks for the suggestions

ok new max budget is ~250

This is going to be stationary, space is not an issue.

I'm also looking for those amps with the  tubes sticking out (visible) ... or is that too much for my budget?
I've heard that tube amps need maintenance??

May 15, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 46
you may be able to get a little dot amp for 250.  but, certainly won't get the dac along with it.
probably best to stay solid state amp/dac... 
audio-gd sparrow, i think, represents the best quality at this price point, from all i've read.

May 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 46
You might look at Whiplash Audio's Mini Starving Student.  Its 180.00.  Save up a little longer, and later get the uDAC to feed it a proper signal off your computer.  Just don't give up on those 701's.

May 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 46
Instructions come with how to change oil in the caps, re-wrap resistors and transformers and top off the air in the tubes.

Problem with tube amps in the budget market is that the cheapest parts are used to meet the budget. Tube amps need a higher voltage/current power supply than an ss amp. The only thing a tube amp would need is a replacement tube. That may not be needed in your lifetime. Most of us like to tube roll the amp to get the sound we like best for the headphone used.

I do believe your 701s will get better as you use them. You won't get nearly the potential out of them unless you do amp them. The exception is a receiver with a good headphone out.

May 15, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 46
In my opinion the Millett 'Starving Student' hybrid is a great amp for the K701s and is less than 200 (much less if you DIY).

May 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 46
starving student, sounds like it fits my demographic
biggrin.gif

It also looks great with visible tubes
Its 180 for the assembled version but where would i go to for DIY guide?

Other one that looks good is the maverick audio tubemagic as suggested by thewuss

and also, Little Dot MK III looks really nice and reviews are excellent from what I've read

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/309855/review-of-the-little-dot-mkiii-tube-headphone-amp-pre-amp

but the LD MKIII and starving student don't have a DAC so I am planning to buy a cheap x-fi for 40 ish to compensate

May 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 46
For your budget, a hybrid would be your best bet. The gain stage is tube driven and the output stage is ss. This gives you the taste of tubes with the performance of ss for a decent price.

May 16, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #13 of 46

Right now, I am leaning towards the Maverick D1's since its a hybrid (with tubes) dac/amp

the starving student is just an amp and I never tried any electronic DIYs so might screw it up

the little dot Mk3's are not even sold anymore

No point on buying it on a weekend since it won't ship any faster.

Still open to suggestions!

May 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 46
From what I've read, the Matrix M-Stage seems like a great match with the 701's. There are a few people with the combo who have posted positive things in the M-Stage thread.

May 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM Post #15 of 46
Hi Barthandelus, good to know you have a good headphone. My K701 with a porta amp PA2V2 sound leveled or even greater with my Grado SR60. I assume if you pair it with a big desktop amp that has synergy with K701, you will be in sound heaven. By the way my amp just costs $60. You have a bigger budget, definitely better than my set-up. Based on my research, the following amps has synergy match with K701, which one of them I am buying for myself.

1. Audio GD C2C or Audio GD C2 from Kingwa of China
2. Little Dot MKV from Audiophile China
3. Musical Fidelity X-Can V8
4. Woo Audio WA6
5. Burson HA-160
6. __________________

Any unit from the list above, I assume will guarantee you musical bliss, which many users agreed. I am also buying one from the list, and what will that be is a surprise one.
biggrin.gif

P.S. Below is my review of Grado SR60 VS AKG K701
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/463718/grado-sr60-vs-akg-k701/0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back