MY NEW AKG K612 Pro audiophile headphone impressions
Aug 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #33 of 75
Today I found this:
Service manual for K612 (and K712): www.akg.com/media/media/download/9352
And for compare K601 (and K701): http://www.manualslib.com/manual/204694/Akg-K-601.html

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #34 of 75
^ So the K 612 have K 601 drivers. What I don't like, apart from this misleading re-branding and also that nonsense response from the rep, is that AKG took down its archive of old service manuals, so you'll have trouble finding out whether they've actually released something new or just re-used old stuff.

Aug 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #35 of 75
Quote:
^ So the K 612 have K 601 drivers. What I don't like, apart from this misleading re-branding and also that nonsense response from the rep, is that AKG took down its archive of old service manuals, so you'll have trouble finding out whether they've actually released something new or just re-used old stuff.

Even if the driver is the same as in K601 (and K701, K702, K702 65th, K712) they still may sound different. I wish I could compare them with my K601, but for now I don't want to spend more money on headphones. :wink: But if there is person who has K612 and is/will be near Gdańsk (Poland) then we can do small review.

Aug 14, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #36 of 75

Probably They have a little different drivers:
AKG K601 - 2400Z0006
AKG K612 - 2400Z00060
So who knows.. maybe saying "The new K612 PRO has new capsules that have a wider frequency response and thus, the headphones sounds more open. " is really true.

Aug 24, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #39 of 75
By the way there is an error on the product documentation of the k612. Here is what I mean... it says:
Connector gold plated stereo jack plug 3.5 mm (1/4”) 
So which is it? 3.5mm or 1/4" :D

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #40 of 75
I am in doubt between the hd 558 (modded) and the 612. any more comments from you guys now that you owned the 612 for a little longer? how is the comfort for long sessions?, does it get hot? is it as good for gaming as you thought, and last but not least, how does it compare to the 558/598. i cant try the 612 out anywhere close to my town, so i think i will order the 612 and compare it with a 558 in a store or something... 60 days return policy sounds great :p

Dec 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #41 of 75
  I am in doubt between the hd 558 (modded) and the 612. any more comments from you guys now that you owned the 612 for a little longer? how is the comfort for long sessions?, does it get hot? is it as good for gaming as you thought, and last but not least, how does it compare to the 558/598. i cant try the 612 out anywhere close to my town, so i think i will order the 612 and compare it with a 558 in a store or something... 60 days return policy sounds great :p

Seconded. I'd really like to hear people's impressions particularly for gaming.

Thanks,
Ostler

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #42 of 75
I ordered a 612 today, and while I have not allot of experience with gaming with headphones or headphones in generali can compare it to a decent 5.1 system and my iGrado, I will let you know how I do with it in game

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #43 of 75
Hi,

I've had these for a couple of days now (switched from a broken pair of Beyer DT440's) and couldn't be happier with my choice!

One question though: I am running them from the headphone output of my TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt firewire sound card and it can drive it pretty well IMO. Still do you guys think I would benefit from a dedicated headphone amp, or not really? If yes then which one would you recommend? I've never had a dedicated amp so I'm very much lost in this area....

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #44 of 75
  I've had these for a couple of days now (switched from a broken pair of Beyer DT440's) and couldn't be happier with my choice!

One question though: I am running them from the headphone output of my TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt firewire sound card and it can drive it pretty well IMO. Still do you guys think I would benefit from a dedicated headphone amp, or not really? If yes then which one would you recommend? I've never had a dedicated amp so I'm very much lost in this area....

If you were willing to plug an external DAC and headphone amplifier, into the audio source, bypassing the Konnekt, you should be able to get some amount of audio quality improvement.
What sources are you using?
What is the Konnekt plugged into?

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #45 of 75
  If you were willing to plug an external DAC and headphone amplifier, into the audio source, bypassing the Konnekt, you should be able to get some amount of audio quality improvement.
What sources are you using?
What is the Konnekt plugged into?

I am not a true audiofile in that I doubt I would notice any quality improvement in using an external DAC instead of the Konnekt (besides that it would probably end up over-complicating my current setup anyway). My ears are just not good enough.

I was only wondering about the amp part, because pretty much everyone agrees that these phones greatly benefit from a dedicated amp. This is something I reckon I would easily notice.

For sources I mostly just use mp3's so the Konnekt is plugged directly into my PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back