MY NEW AKG K612 Pro audiophile headphone impressions
Jul 9, 2013 at 5:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

DT770owner

New Head-Fier

What i can say is this headphone sounds fantastic.

I used to have HD598, DT770 and this Feel Much better.

I burn it for  about 40hours already and This sound so natural and bass not too bassy but is it still there i think it improved from my old HD598 and the mid are high are well balanced overall a great headphone if you are on budget and want audiophile headphone this definitely worth it. 

Bought it on ebay from seller:razordogaudio for 186$ i really enjoy my music right now and this headphone is so comfortable! <3 AKG

Jul 9, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 75
The K 601 are among the most uncomfortable headphones I've used. Assuming as the majority do that the K 612 are the K 601 with new pads, I'd advise against buying the K 612 without trying them on first. At the very least make sure the store has a good return policy.

Jul 13, 2013 at 8:00 AM Post #9 of 75
Now there's a thing of interest. You (a general you) have two different concepts, a "K 601" and a "K 612" - two different names, so surely two different entities. A semantic partitioning which might be misleading us just a bit if in reality the K 612 is the K 601 - just with new pads. Thus the above question by D about whether the K 612 sounds similar to the K 601 is curious as to me it seems to require some assumption of a fundamental difference between the two - the word 'similar' rather than 'the same' having been used. I imaging if AKG kept the name the same - K 601 - and just replaced the old pads with the new ones, a person might not ask whether the new K 601 sounds similar to the old K 601 but rather whether there was any change to the sound.

Jul 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 75
Now there's a thing of interest. You (a general you) have two different concepts, a "K 601" and a "K 612" - two different names, so surely two different entities. A semantic partitioning which might be misleading us just a bit if in reality the K 612 is the K 601 - just with new pads. Thus the above question by D about whether the K 612 sounds similar to the K 601 is curious as to me it seems to require some assumption of a fundamental difference between the two - the word 'similar' rather than 'the same' having been used. I imaging if AKG kept the name the same - K 601 - and just replaced the old pads with the new ones, a person might not ask whether the new K 601 sounds similar to the old K 601 but rather whether there was any change to the sound.

Hmm... It's very possible that it's like the k712 to the k702 . The sound might be slightly different due to the new pads and they're now made in China rather than Austria.

Jul 13, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 75
Hmm... It's very possible that it's like the k712 to the k702 . The sound might be slightly different due to the new pads and they're now made in China rather than Austria.

Production of the K601 was switched to china part way through its life cycle; only the early production run was in Austria.

AKG aren't claiming any differences in sound, like they are for the K712, so if the pads are the same, I wouldn't expect a significant difference ...

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 75
The specs do appear to match those of the K601. If anyone owns both and can give some details as to any perceived differences that would be great. I really enjoy my K400 but Id like to hear how the current drivers compete with their 20 year old sibling. It's been too long since I owned my K601 to remember much of the sound other than liking it compared to my HD580.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Jul 14, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #13 of 75
All I remember of the 601 is too much bass, and I don't understand the need to pile on even more bass with the new 612 pads. Back in the day, AKG themselves stated somewhere that they made sure to avoid having too much bass on the K 500/1, and I can totally see why.

Though since this is an appreciation thread, I do recall thinking the 601 bass was of good quality in terms of it not being flabby.

Jul 14, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 75
Quote:
All I remember of the 601 is too much bass, and I don't understand the need to pile on even more bass with the new 612 pads. Back in the day, AKG themselves stated somewhere that they made sure to avoid having too much bass on the K 500/1, and I can totally see why.

Though since this is an appreciation thread, I do recall thinking the 601 bass was of good quality in terms of it not being flabby.

Too much bass?
confused_face_2.gif
You must be thinking of a different headphone or comparing it to a K400 or K501 or something. IMO it has less than the Q701, but maybe a little bit more mid-bass than the K701.
Definitely less than an HD-600 for sure.

I doubt the K612 pads are new. They're probably just in a different color to fool people. I wonder how many people will buy them just thinking they're new and improved!

K601 was always better to my ears than the K701, K400 and K501, but not the Q701. Hopefully the K612 does sound better than the K601. I always loved the K601 and felt it was the perfect gaming headphone.
The K601 also seems to have a pretty good amount of warmth. More than the K400/K701 but not the Q701.

I'd hate to see what the memory foam pads of the Annie sound like on the K612. I bet AKG tried it and found it to be a poor match.

Jul 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #15 of 75
Compared to the K 501, the 601 had too much bass. The 601 seemed to be going for a 501-like airy feel, but I thought their extra warmth just didn't suit that type of sound at all. I do prefer the 601 to the K 701, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back