My new $7 headphone beats my Sennheiser 212Pro silly.
Apr 10, 2005 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

Serville

New Head-Fier
It's really annoying me to find a $7 headphone beats my Sennheiser 212Pro silly. U might not believe it, but it is true.

My aunt asked me to buy a headphone with MIC for her daughter for netchatting, so I went out and bought a cheap headphone. I thought her 15 years old daughter won't need anything fancy anyway. Home, I tried it with my Hifi system, and I was shocked that it sounds so amazing despite the EXTREMELY ugly look.

- The soundspace is huge, like in a concert hall.
- The high is just adequate, mid good, .....and very clear sound
- Fantastic Bass. Very strong, punchy but very clear and accurate.

I thought it must be my feeling, so I reconnect my 212Pro which I bought here in my country for about $60. In an instant, I feel my 212Pro sounds even much worse than before. All I heard is a muddy sound...much more muddy than my previous feeling. I know it is because I just heard this amazing $7 headset.

I went out instantly in 1 hour after I got home , back to the store, and thought of buying a pair myself. In the store, I just realized that there is another model from the same company, same price, same specs except it has a 100mW rated power. The previous is only 50mW. I thought this model must better because of the 100mW power. At least they should at least sound similar since they have almost the same specs and from the same company. I bought this model and went home and tested. HUGE disappointment. Extremely different sound. Very muddy, the bass is minimal, soundspace is extremely small...one of the worst headset I ever heard. I don't understand how it could possibly happen.

In 10 minutes, I went back to the store and pretended I bought the wrong model. I exchanged it with the first model, and went home, retested , and found the amazing sound once more. This is the sound I've been looking for the whole time, which I could not even find in the muddy 212Pro.

I sat and kept thinking for 10 minutes.....how come this stupid ugly headphone packaged in a cheap hard plastic could possibly sound so much better than my 212Pro. It is made in China. Thinking I might not be able to find this gem again next time around, I went back to the store AGAIN, and bought 2 more sets. I had better , or I will have more problem finding the replacement when it is broken. You know, this China-made headphones are usually imported in limited quantity. The next time around, they might even disappear, replaced by whatever model/brand the importer decides (as long as they are cheap).

I asked a friend to come by and tested. After hearing 212Pro and this stupidly cheap headset, the first comment he said was "Where did you this headset? It sounds so clear and the bass is amazing". He even bothered to ask "Is it the original Sennheiser ?" because he does not believe Sennheiser sounds so dull compared to this ugly look headphone.

Geez, it is only $7. I can not believe it.

The moral story is, sometimes you can find a real gem with cheap product. I believe it is possible because even many world-class companies like Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc usually ask small companies from China to produce the headphone for them. They only give their famous label on it. This is true, because my friend works as a manager in a Korean company, Shinwoo Indonesia who produces OEM headphones for Samsung, Sharp, and others. They have about 3000 labors here. 100% of their production are re-exported to these companies. In fact, there is a rumor I read in Mystic forum that the iRiver H320 and H10 headset are produced by Shinwoo.

Oh yeah, the brand is Okaya , model SM-390 Multimedia Stereo Headphone with Super Bass. I doubt you can find it in US.

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #2 of 59
Perhaps 212s just plain suck, I don't know. =)

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serville
In fact, there is a rumor I read in Mystic forum that the iRiver H320 and H10 headset are produced by Shinwoo.

You mean bundled earphones?
I highly doubt that because the ones I have say:
"Sennheiser MX400".

But I'm still surprised about the way you feel about the HD212Pro to the "Cheapy" cans.

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 59
What actually makes expensive headphones expensive by the way? Is it the materials they are made out of? The amount of man-hours spent engineering them or just how good the componants inside are rated (like CPUs).

Apr 10, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #6 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serville
It's really annoying me to find a $7 headphone beats my Sennheiser 212Pro silly. U might not believe it, but it is true.

My aunt asked me to buy a headphone with MIC for her daughter for netchatting, so I went out and bought a cheap headphone. I thought her 15 years old daughter won't need anything fancy anyway. Home, I tried it with my Hifi system, and I was shocked that it sounds so amazing despite the EXTREMELY ugly look.

- The soundspace is huge, like in a concert hall.
- The high is just adequate, mid good, .....and very clear sound
- Fantastic Bass. Very strong, punchy but very clear and accurate.

I thought it must be my feeling, so I reconnect my 212Pro which I bought here in my country for about $60. In an instant, I feel my 212Pro sounds even much worse than before. All I heard is a muddy sound...much more muddy than my previous feeling. I know it is because I just heard this amazing $7 headset.

I went out instantly in 1 hour after I got home , back to the store, and thought of buying a pair myself. In the store, I just realized that there is another model from the same company, same price, same specs except it has a 100mW rated power. The previous is only 50mW. I thought this model must better because of the 100mW power. At least they should at least sound similar since they have almost the same specs and from the same company. I bought this model and went home and tested. HUGE disappointment. Extremely different sound. Very muddy, the bass is minimal, soundspace is extremely small...one of the worst headset I ever heard. I don't understand how it could possibly happen.

In 10 minutes, I went back to the store and pretended I bought the wrong model. I exchanged it with the first model, and went home, retested , and found the amazing sound once more. This is the sound I've been looking for the whole time, which I could not even find in the muddy 212Pro.

I sat and kept thinking for 10 minutes.....how come this stupid ugly headphone packaged in a cheap hard plastic could possibly sound so much better than my 212Pro. It is made in China. Thinking I might not be able to find this gem again next time around, I went back to the store AGAIN, and bought 2 more sets. I had better , or I will have more problem finding the replacement when it is broken. You know, this China-made headphones are usually imported in limited quantity. The next time around, they might even disappear, replaced by whatever model/brand the importer decides (as long as they are cheap).

I asked a friend to come by and tested. After hearing 212Pro and this stupidly cheap headset, the first comment he said was "Where did you this headset? It sounds so clear and the bass is amazing". He even bothered to ask "Is it the original Sennheiser ?" because he does not believe Sennheiser sounds so dull compared to this ugly look headphone.

Geez, it is only $7. I can not believe it.

The moral story is, sometimes you can find a real gem with cheap product. I believe it is possible because even many world-class companies like Sony, Samsung, Sharp, etc usually ask small companies from China to produce the headphone for them. They only give their famous label on it. This is true, because my friend works as a manager in a Korean company, Shinwoo Indonesia who produces OEM headphones for Samsung, Sharp, and others. They have about 3000 labors here. 100% of their production are re-exported to these companies. In fact, there is a rumor I read in Mystic forum that the iRiver H320 and H10 headset are produced by Shinwoo.

Oh yeah, the brand is Okaya , model SM-390 Multimedia Stereo Headphone with Super Bass. I doubt you can find it in US.

Can yo upost pics? Maybe its rebadged under the coby or labtec logo?... both are easily found ing the US

Garrett

Apr 11, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #8 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
google search for sm-390 gave these results:

http://news.zol.com.cn/2005/0222/151617.shtml

http://www.zz-it.com/article/2004/12/06/22439_16.html

Don't know if these are the same; not the same brand, but also from China (I think) and have a mic. I think they look like they're pretty well made.

Hmm. Strange. I'm sure they come from the same company because I can see a lot of similarities, except the the speaker cup is different.
I will go to a friend's house and take a shoot with his digital camera.
Give me several hours.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:14 AM Post #9 of 59
err I guess I meant english results
k1000smile.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 59
Serville --

Well, the Sennheiser 212 Pro is the most overly bassy headphone that I have ever owned.
I consider the 212 Pro as a $5 headphone, so your impressions are linear and logical...
biggrin.gif

Obviously, a $7 headphone is going to be better than a $5 one...
wink.gif

And it has SUPER BASS, something that makes any comparison unfair!
The 212 Pro also has superior packaging/build quality/advertising...
So less money is going into its sound than into the Okaya's... GRRR!

THIS IS NOT FAIR! The 212 Pro is destined to lose in this situation...

Sorry, I could not help myself... I WANT A RE-MATCH!
biggrin.gif

BANGPOD

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #12 of 59
Cool! Would you be willing to buy one and then mail it to me here in the U.S.? I would pay you for the heaphone and shipping, of course. It'd be cool to have someone in the U.S. check these out.

Apr 11, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #13 of 59
The url given by xluben shows Somic brandname. I know for sure Somic is just another product fromt the same company, because I have seen Somic headphone in the same store, and the packaging is 100% the same, even the headphone design is similar.

Yes, 212Pro has been known a little muddy and the bass is exaggerated uncontrolably.
The one I bought also has a great bass, just a tad lower than 212Pro but it sounds nice and snappy. The more I use it, the better I like it. It is very comfortable to the ears too because the foam on the earcup is covered by satin-like material making it soft to the ears.

By the way, Got the photo, but I dont have webspace. The file attachment size allowed by the forum is too small too. Perhaps someone can send me email to Oliver112233@yahoo.com and help me with posting the photo if anybody interested.

Apr 11, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #15 of 59
Intriguing... unlikely, but not impossible that a dirt-cheap unknown headphone might be unexpectedly good sounding. It may actually become a more common occurrence, because I have an intuitive feeling that headphone technology is on the cusp of some major improvements (could be wrong).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back