My new 3 watt dead-silent USB Linux music server. Pics Added.
Jul 9, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #31 of 113
Oh, also, I'm using wave files... don't know if that makes a difference.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #32 of 113
Bumpy bump.

Anyone?

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:22 AM Post #33 of 113
I'll bite
smily_headphones1.gif

I have been looking into making a PC transport for awhile, and I found a very interesting project for those who have some money they want to throw -- cPlay and Building a Computer Transport. They use upsampling in cPlay, but you can turn it off and use bitperfect if you like. In the transport they build they seem to use some mini-atx boards and a expensive case, but on the software end, it could easily used in any other project.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:08 AM Post #34 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bumpy bump.

Anyone?

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I wasn't expecting too much interest in this thread as it requires some knowledge of Linux. It's not a plug n' play solution (like using a laptop or buying a Slim Devices), but it is far cheaper, and being open source you are not beholden to any one company for support or bug fixes.

To try answer some of your questions...

I know nothing about Foobar or ASIO. My household has been strictly Linux for the last 10-12 years. I do know that ALSA (the Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) will pass bit perfect audio when you specify a hardware address in MPD's config file.

I have not heard any sound degradation using MPD's buffer. MPD will play WAV files as well as an assortment of other file types. I suggest you rip your music to FLAC, as the WAV file format has no facilities for tagging.

I haven't tried using my music server with an external USB HDD. I wanted to eliminate any HDD or fan noise (I have plenty of Real Trap treatments which makes my room very quiet) from my listening room. My FLAC files are sent over CAT 5 100Mbit ethernet via NFS from my desktop machine in the bedroom. NFS stands for Network File System. It makes files and directories appear over a network as if they were locally attached. Since the ALIX board is running off Compact Flash, and I didn't want any HDD's in the listening room, NFS makes the FLAC files appear (to MPD) on the ALIX as if they regular local files.

The ALIX boards does have 2 mini-PCI slots. I suppose one could add a wireless card and keep the wiring down to a minimum. You could also move it from room to room if you wanted to.

If you know NOTHING about Linux, this might be a difficult project, software wise, to put together. Especially since there is no GUI involved in setting up the ALIX board. You also need to do the initial configuration of the board via SSH or the serial port; there is no VGA port. Or you could buy one of the more expensive PC Engine ALIX boards with VGA and keyboard. It's still %100 fan-less and draws only 5 watts compared to my 3 watts. The serial port option would also require the purchase or loan of a serial cable and null modem adapter. On the plus side, since Voyage is based on Debian, and it retains the excellent apt package manager, installing software is a breeze: apt-get install mpd alsa-base is all that is needed to get the audio software installed.

As an aside, my profession has nothing to do with computers. I taught myself Linux over the years. If you can use Google and subscribe to one of the better mailing lists, like Debian user, you can learn quite a bit.

As an update to my server running so far:

I haven't had any issues. The ALIX board runs for weeks between powering down with not a single crash yet. CPU is still 5-8% playing FLAC files of all sizes. No skips, pops, click or any other extraneous noises. Internet radio stations play without any issues.

I managed to pick up a Nokia N800 and a used Linksys Wireless router ($150 and $20, respectively) from Craigslist, and can now control my music and play-lists from the couch wirelessly.

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #35 of 113
Wouldn't it have just been easier to buy a squeezebox (or duet) and be done with it?

just wondering..

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #36 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't it have just been easier to buy a squeezebox (or duet) and be done with it?

just wondering..

If you are a DIY'er, it is much more satisfying putting something like this together. Personally, I love the idea and still considering it.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #38 of 113
Oh I appreciate the DIY aspect of it, but what did it all cost? I mean I can pick up a SB3 for 300 brand new that does as muchas the home built system, and works out the box. Plus, great screen, bit perfect, nice optical out if you wanna add a dac, and a remote. I tried using a PDA with a 640*480 screen to control the SB3, but diodnt like the interface.. too cramped on the screen.

But hey, i'm all for things just working, too much other stuff to worry about myself

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #39 of 113
Quote:

just wondering..

It might be easier to buy the Squeezebox, but in my opinion, this setup affords much more flexibility AND functionality. I did cruise their forums for a few months before I settled on this solution. It seems their software (which is based on perl) had issues with every revision. I like their VFD display, but using their IR to control play lists didn't seem too intuitive to me. Having the Nokia in my hand keeps the display close and keeps me from squinting at a display from across the room. (I once brought the Nokia N800 to the bathroom (number 2) and used it there to change songs... hehe ) Also, I'm not limited to using MMPC on the Nokia for my music controller. There are over a couple dozen clients written for MPD.

I wasn't terribly impressed with the Slime Devices product for my needs. Again, I'm stressing "my needs".

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #40 of 113
Quote:

Oh I appreciate the DIY aspect of it, but what did it all cost? I mean I can pick up a SB3 for 300 brand new that does as muchas the home built system, and works out the box. Plus, great screen, bit perfect, nice optical out if you wanna add a dac, and a remote. I tried using a PDA with a 640*480 screen to control the SB3, but diodnt like the interface.. too cramped on the screen.

But hey, i'm all for things just working, too much other stuff to worry about myself

The ALIX board was $115
Case and bracket with USB cutout was $15
12V adapter was $12

I had the serial cable & null modem adapter on hand; already had the Trends UD-10 as well.

Some of your aforementioned points are valid. This project isn't for everyone. But if you know a little Linux you can have this up and running in one afternoon. The system is bit perfect, is very stable, and is very configurable. I actually have no problems using the Nokia with it's wide 800x400 screen. I can use the stylus or my fingers to manipulate the controls.

Again, after cruising the Slim Devices forums and reading some of the issues other people are having I didn't want a closed software/hardware solution. Also, there is no USB out on any Slim Devices products that I know of. I am planning on buying a dedicated USB (Benchmark?) in the near future. But I'm sure the SD work just fine for the majority of users who want a plug 'n play solution.

Cheers.

Jul 11, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #41 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this is a great idea, this will be my future project, thank you very much!

I just found one downside is the remote interface is very simple, I like foobar better
frown.gif

Yes, I agree, MMPC is really simple, but still very functional. Just remember that it's .1 version software and being written by one programmer in his spare time.

MMPC is a fork of GMPC (Qalaxy - Gnome Music Player Client), which is a full featured MPD client (written by the MPD software author) with some nifty features. And with the advent of tiny but full spec'd UMPC's, like the Asus EEE PC, you could probably run GMPC on something with a touchscreen like this: X-bit labs - Gigabyte Unveils Affordable Tablet PC Featuring Intel Atom.

If anybody needs help setting this up I'll try to do my best answering questions...

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #42 of 113
nyc_paramedic,

So, it looks like this whole linux thing is too complicated for me to spend the time trying to learn. I could probably do it... I just don't have the time to spare...

But these little ALIX systems could run a stripped-down XP, at any rate, which is what I was planning on doing in the first place.

One question, though: What if I don't want to have wireless control for the time being? What if I want to get the 3c3 board to hook up a small LCD, and then control with a mouse? I don't see any PS2 output for the mouse, and I would be using both of the USB ports for my external HDD and Trends USB transport, so no extra USB for a mouse, either.

Any other options for control on these embedded systems? Or do you have to control it externally?

Oh... one more thing I thought of... how do you hook up a keyboard? I wouldn't need it during playback, once it's all set up, but what if I want to change bios settings?

Jul 11, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #43 of 113
Quote:

nyc_paramedic,

So, it looks like this whole linux thing is too complicated for me to spend the time trying to learn. I could probably do it... I just don't have the time to spare...

But these little ALIX systems could run a stripped-down XP, at any rate, which is what I was planning on doing in the first place.

One question, though: What if I don't want to have wireless control for the time being? What if I want to get the 3c3 board to hook up a small LCD, and then control with a mouse? I don't see any PS2 output for the mouse, and I would be using both of the USB ports for my external HDD and Trends USB transport, so no extra USB for a mouse, either.

Any other options for control on these embedded systems? Or do you have to control it externally?

Oh... one more thing I thought of... how do you hook up a keyboard? I wouldn't need it during playback, once it's all set up, but what if I want to change bios settings?

I can't tell you if XP is too much of a resource hog. Remember that the boards are limited to 256 of RAM. And you have to make sure XP has all the drivers. And if you are thinking of attaching a small LCD, and keyboard, and mouse, you're almost building yourself a small laptop...

As far as keyboard, you could probably purchase the ALIX 1c which affords you 4 USB ports. It's a mini-ITX board, but still fanless.

You would have to control it externally,but you could use more than one client at a time. Example: I have MMPC on the Nokia N800 and GMPC on the bedroom computer running at the same time. If I want to put together some insanely long play list together I could walk over to the bedroom where the mouse and keyboard interface would make it much more efficient at using GMPC. Then, say, save that playlist and manipulate it from the N800 hand held. Or If I didn't want to leave the listening position, I could fire up my Thinkpad X40 sub-notebook and use GMPC (or any other MPD client) while sitting at the couch and switch back to my N800 at any time.

Jul 11, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #44 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyc_paramedic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't tell you if XP is too much of a resource hog. Remember that the boards are limited to 256 of RAM. And you have to make sure XP has all the drivers. And if you are thinking of attaching a small LCD, and keyboard, and mouse, you're almost building yourself a small laptop...

As far as keyboard, you could probably purchase the ALIX 1c which affords you 4 USB ports. It's a mini-ITX board, but still fanless.

You would have to control it externally,but you could use more than one client at a time. Example: I have MMPC on the Nokia N800 and GMPC on the bedroom computer running at the same time. If I want to put together some insanely long play list together I could walk over to the bedroom where the mouse and keyboard interface would make it much more efficient at using GMPC. Then, say, save that playlist and manipulate it from the N800 hand held. Or If I didn't want to leave the listening position, I could fire up my Thinkpad X40 sub-notebook and use GMPC (or any other MPD client) while sitting at the couch and switch back to my N800 at any time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm... I'm going to have to think this over for awhile... I'm not sure if this kind of system would meet my needs and technical ability (or lack thereof).

I never use playlists. When I listen, I always just seek through my library at random, listen to whatever floats my boat at that moment, and occasionally look up a specific song that I want to hear. That might require more functional control than what something like this offers...
frown.gif

Maybe Squeezebox is a better option for me.
confused.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 113
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm... I'm going to have to think this over for awhile... I'm not sure if this kind of system would meet my needs and technical ability (or lack thereof).

I never use playlists. When I listen, I always just seek through my library at random, listen to whatever floats my boat at that moment, and occasionally look up a specific song that I want to hear. That might require more functional control than what something like this offers...
frown.gif

Maybe Squeezebox is a better option for me.
confused.gif

Even though MMPC is considered beta software, I am able to search my collection and add songs to the current list. I use the stylus to tap on my music folders, or scroll the artists/album lists. I keep the stylus pressed on a song and/or artists for 2 seconds and a small popup appears for Add, and two other options I can't remember right now.

On a somewhat related note: I just noticed that this gent will be releasing his mPod software via the Apple store. It's basically an iPhone or iPod touch MPD client; all wireless of course:Makes No Sense At All » MPoD

Looks like some interesting software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back