My mum say's I need a razor...
May 31, 2008 at 10:33 AM Post #91 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confusingly, EyeAmEye and your Mum are both correct. You certainly do need to shave as an adolescent. You're man chemicals are bubblin', spattering the walls of your scrotum with a highly intoxicating mixture. You THINK you don't need a razor at this point, with your patchy, mink, pre-stubble, but this is actually the only time you should shave. Answer me this: When you are reading a mostly benign, mostly heavy petting sex scene from a Steven King novel, do you feel the need to sneak off to the "tool shed". You do, huh. You are confused during this fragile instar. That wee bit of face down can make you bow up at the wrong times, in the wrong situations. It gives you a false sense of bravado. Be careful, and get it off asap. Your Mum, as a woman, knows how puny a man with starter patch really is. She's simply looking after you.

Wow. Do you like stalk me or something? You really hit the nail on the head there
wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #92 of 106
I have read through this whole thread and there has not been any mention of shaving oil.

This surprises me as it is probably the fastest growing product (after blades ofcourse) in the area of shaving.

Shaving oil was a god send for me, I am so glad I found it 2 years ago, I have been sooooo happy with my daily shave since then. My blades (mach 3 turbo) also last a lot longer compared to when I used creams/gels.

If you are in the US, I know the American Crew shave oil can be purchased easily, it is good stuff!!

If you are in Australia...you MUST try either "Valetudo" (there is one for women too, my gf loves it!) which you can get from shavershop and many chemist shops. The other one you MUST try is "OSCAR natural", this has just been released in Coles/bi-lo. They are both pump action so very easy to use, a couple of sprays, massage into warm, wet beard, wait about 30 seconds and shave, ensuring that you keep your skin wet at all times! They are both 100% NATURAL oils so no chemicals and other drying agents, it leaves your face soft and smooth, no razor burns!!!

You will get a very close and comfortable shave. A little bit of aftershave balm and you are all done!

Trust me when I say it is the BEST upgrade you will make in your shaving routine, there is no need to get 5 blade cartridges and other ridiculous stuff, just get shaving oil and you are sorted!

I must point out one thing...shaving oil works best with mach 3[turbo] as the blades have good spacing, other blades get clogged easily given the fact that you are shaving with oil.

May 31, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #93 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mum got me a midrange Philishave razor. Meh.

It will do I suppose. She's against anything not electric (not sure how she got to be such an expert).

Meh, its not that bad, I shave every week or so depending on how motivated I am with an oldish phillips noclero razor, It gets the job done for the tiny mustache and chin stubble I have. Shaving cream/soap at my point would be a waste of money just because I dont have enough hair to make it worth the prep and cost.

Once you start getting closer to 5 o'clock shadow point or having stubble all over in the morning, then it is probably worth a real non electric razor

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #94 of 106
Well, i thought i would update.

I won a give away, at the same time, on two shaving forums! I plan on making my favourite kit, and paying the rest on to another, preferably young newbie. I will split the kit in half, making two incomplete kits and putting one on each forum, with the contents of each kit on each forum depending on which it came from originally.

I love wetshaving now, its much nicer, better, more relaxing etc. Although normally i only have time at the weekend, and weekday evenings if im lucky. Good job i dont need to shave often yet!

Kit One:
Omega boar brush Professional, Tryphon Green Lime shaving soap (my favourite out of all i have), Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap, Gillette Tech razor with ball-end handle (nickel-plated/silver and 50 Crystal blades.
P6090399.jpg

I luckily had the right shaped bowl for a good lather, and after a few attempts i got it almost right in consistency, just not enough for one let alone 2 or three pass shaves!

P6070394.jpg

Pics of the bowl, lather and ammount of it. Used the lime soap and boar brush for these pics.
P6070393.jpg

Kit Two (Arrived Today):
Col Conk pure badger brush, Tabac soap refill (for mug i think? Havnt tried yet.), C.O. Bigelow Cream (Nice stuff, but either the angle of the blade on the new razors, or the new blades, or the brush, or this gave me a slight red rash, like blade rash, but larger) a Gillette Super speed twist to open, a shick razor black handled - tto again, and a pack of 10 derby and 10 Feather Blades, and a shiving Shaving mug soap puck i think.

P6100408.jpg

I put a feather blade in the Superspeed, and a Derby in the shick, and had a two pass shave, one with the Bigelow cream, and one with the lime soap from kit one, with the SS first, and the shick second, just for fun, so i have tried all the razors, and blades, and brushes now!
smily_headphones1.gif

I also need to try the tabac soap puck though!!

It all together:
P6100407.jpg

I like it all, but i prefer the badger brush over the boar (but either that, the cream, or the blade tightness/adjustment gave me a rash.) and the lime soap over the truefitt and hill soap, and i like the cream too, so i will keep both, but give away the boar brush when i figure that the badger brush didnt give me a rash.

I like all the razors and blades equally, however i prefer the asthetics of the Gillette's over the shick, so will stick that in the give away kit too with a pack of crystal blades, leaving me 40 crystals, and 10 derby's and 10 feathers.

So the giveaway will be the Truefitt soap, and the tabac & mug i think - havnt tried yet, along with the shick razor, the boar brush, and a pack or crystal blades.

Leaving me my favourite soap, cream and brush, a large supply of blades (i have soft hair and little growth currently) and two razors.

Thanks for getting me into this! I need a stypict pencil (spelling?) (for occasional loss of spot tops lol. Only one real nick so far you see!) and i would like a stick of soap too, then i have enough until i am old enough to have more money to spend on this stuff.

If you havnt had a real wetshave yet, get the stuff and have one, its much nicer in so many ways if you have time.

Be sure to check out some shaving forums and videos first though, as its hard to get the soap/cream : water ratio right at first.

And dont forget the aftershave, it stung a bit on the rash today, but it really finishes the shave, and feels better with it actually!

Matt

Jun 10, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #95 of 106
Matt, nice to see that you have entered Team wetshaving!
biggrin.gif

It sure are a different experience that multiblade razors and canned cream. Hope more of you guys get inspired and give it a try...

Enjoy!

Jun 11, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #100 of 106
They are specific items.

The blades are used in the razor(Getting a sampler pack helps to find the blade that work the best for you) The brush is used to build a later with the Soap/Cream(Can be done in a bowl/scuttle or on your face) From there you can use the aftershave of choice.

Jun 11, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #101 of 106
if you use a razor put some hair conditioner on the chin before you shave; make sure you rinse. its the same stuff in the bottle of expensive pre-shaving cream stuff, works wonders. Also do a search on youtube for shaving tutorials.. there is alot to it (techniques, etc..) then just cutting grass.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #102 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistat0m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya i didnt know you could get so many items for just shaving, are these for specific times or do you use all of them at once?

...and that's only 1/1000 (or probably even less) of what available out there.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #103 of 106
Well you use a brush, and a soap/cream, and a razor, and a blade.

Instead of making lots of lather i make a small ammount and finish with my favourite lime soap, and a different razor, its more fun
smily_headphones1.gif

I dont use the boar brush now, as badger brush is smaller and softer.

Yeah there is lots more haha!

I want a stypict pencil, a stick soap, and i think a mint soap...I think there is one made by tryphon? If so, im getting it! Then i have my kit done, till i run out of my fav soap/creams.

Matt

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #104 of 106
Just a heads up, Crabtree and Evelyn is having an after Father's Day sale. The popular best badger brush won't be on sale, but all their shaving soaps and creams are half off. I stopped by the other day to grab a brush and the nice saleslady let me know.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #105 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
finish with my favourite lime soap

****** chills!

Nah, just kidding. I'm partial to tea tree oil soap myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back