My mum say's I need a razor...
May 29, 2008 at 5:05 AM Post #76 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wo.... Buying a second hand razor? Is that the only way to get these old safety razors?

Seems a bit ew to me...

You boil it in water. They come out completely sterilized and all the gunk comes off.

Might make you feel better to think that the original owner would be pleased that someone cleaned up and continued to use his old razor. My grandfather isn't around any more, but I know he would have been happy knowing that I use his old razor, and that I care for it and plan to (eventually) pass it along.

May 29, 2008 at 12:01 PM Post #77 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might make you feel better to think that the original owner would be pleased that someone cleaned up and continued to use his old razor. My grandfather isn't around any more, but I know he would have been happy knowing that I use his old razor, and that I care for it and plan to (eventually) pass it along.

Good point!
I have two razors in my rotation that used to belong to my passed away grandfather. I am sure he would have been happy if he knew that I continue to use his razors.

May 29, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #78 of 106
I wish I could find a descent razor such as this.

May 29, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #79 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I could find a descent razor such as this.

Such as what? A vintage Gillette... ?

May 29, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #80 of 106
I have got both razors and a box of blades, shipped, donw to £8!

Im gonna speak to my dad, then go for it, as he doesnt have one any more, he had my grandads, but doesnt anymore.

My grandad had starights in his belongings after he passed away, but they needed sharpening, and im not ready to use a straight!
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #81 of 106
My Dad gave me a shaving kit the day before I joined the Navy. I was only a couple of months older than 18, and didn't really see the need in it at the time. The very first Personnel Inspection in Boot Camp, it was strongly suggested, very strongly suggested; that I drag out the kit.
frown.gif

I continued to use a double-edged razor and a brush and a cake-o-soap after that, right up until I found that I had Congestive Heart Failure and needed to take blood thinners from that point on. Now I'm in the 21st Century with electricity in control.

I really prefer the soap and blades.

May 31, 2008 at 1:12 AM Post #82 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such as what? A vintage Gillette... ?

Yep, I had one back in England. But lost it when I moved back to Aus.
frown.gif

Worst is I need to shave morning and around 2ish if I want to stay without any noteable stubble.

Any ideas where to get one (the new ones are terrible and very expensive in comparison).
frown.gif

May 31, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #83 of 106
I have this (thanks, google image search):

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/L10216866a.jpg

Best investment I ever made. I used the Mach 3 (non-turbo... I hated the turbo ones: not as close, and wore out in about three shaves) for a little bit. That's a really good razor... tried some with less blades and some with more but none of them were as good. That said, I hated the whole "lathering up and shaving" ordeal. Electric gets straight to the point, and it's not quite as close, but it takes half the time, and there's no mess, and no irritation.

Oh, and don't try the new Norelcos with the three-blade thing. I tried this one and it was horrible. The one I now use above (technically yesterday's model) with the single blade spins faster and cuts way closer and much more effectively. The new three-blade one misses hairs like it's nobody's business. Terrible razor.

May 31, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #84 of 106
Mum got me a midrange Philishave razor. Meh.

It will do I suppose. She's against anything not electric (not sure how she got to be such an expert).

May 31, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #85 of 106
See how it works. If you have "fuzz" right now, you won't be able to use the electric for at least another year, trust me. Just use a standard razor until the beard gets thicker.

May 31, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #86 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shaving is for commercially brain washed automatons. Clean shaven monkeys have no identity, no personality, and no will of their own.

Grow a beard and take back your life.

Confusingly, EyeAmEye and your Mum are both correct. You certainly do need to shave as an adolescent. You're man chemicals are bubblin', spattering the walls of your scrotum with a highly intoxicating mixture. You THINK you don't need a razor at this point, with your patchy, mink, pre-stubble, but this is actually the only time you should shave. Answer me this: When you are reading a mostly benign, mostly heavy petting sex scene from a Steven King novel, do you feel the need to sneak off to the "tool shed". You do, huh. You are confused during this fragile instar. That wee bit of face down can make you bow up at the wrong times, in the wrong situations. It gives you a false sense of bravado. Be careful, and get it off asap. Your Mum, as a woman, knows how puny a man with starter patch really is. She's simply looking after you.

But! When you come into your own, I'm with Eye. You should let it grow like Methuselah. This subject of shaving has come up before and here was my advice then:

Quote:

A two blade razor is fine; keep it rinsed off and drag the razor up from your chin. The end.

Put some cream on your face and shave. Don't parade around the maypole of shaving losers with their 17 blade fast and furious marketed razor. Superimposing a razor over a chocked F-117 while a drift car slides around it makes not a clean shave. Alternatively, just grow a beard. Don't do this unless your testes are squirtin' hormones at full production. There's zip worse than sporting that spotty Fu Manchu mess. Nothing screams "puberty boy here" like patchy facial hair.

May 31, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #87 of 106
I use a Schick Injector E-type and Feather Super Professional blades, the sharpest, manliest blades you can find. They will provide such an incredibly smooth, irritation free, and close shave. I really haven't nicked myself too bad with that combo ever, but should a small nick happen, you won't even feel it. The combo is miles better than my previous Mach 3 setup. As far as learning curve, since the Injectors have a very similar blade angle to the Gillette razors, I really didn't have any trouble switching between the two. So as far as I'm concerned, a very flat learning curve.

May 31, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #88 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suntory_Times /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I had one back in England. But lost it when I moved back to Aus.
frown.gif

Worst is I need to shave morning and around 2ish if I want to stay without any noteable stubble.

Any ideas where to get one (the new ones are terrible and very expensive in comparison).
frown.gif

There are hundreds of them at eBay.
So just find one that you think looks great and place a bid...

May 31, 2008 at 7:14 AM Post #89 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are hundreds of them at eBay.
So just find one that you think looks great and place a bid...

Yeah i've looked at ebay before. Just something icky about buying a razor from ebay, and was hoping someone here would know some place more reputable to buy, or where themselves looking to sell. (I trust head-fi moreso then ebay in every way).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back