My Monster Miles Davis Tributes are unbearably sibilant-- Should I pursue different tips?
Dec 4, 2010 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Oggranak

1000+ Head-Fier
EDIT: I sent the Tributes in on warranty, and I'll update this when I get a new pair sent to me.
EDIT: I received the new pair and they sound exactly the same. Same peak as the last pair. Maybe it's my ears...

There are things I like about my Monster Miles Davis Tributes. These are, however, overshadowed by the overbearing sibilance. I've tried all the available tips-- the gel supertips, foam supertips, the sort of roundish single-flange tips they come with, the triple flanges, and some Sony single-flange tips. None of these did the trick. Are these just not for me or are there some other tips out there I should try?

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #2 of 33
are you sure yours are real and not fake?

MDs don't have sibilant treble that I remember. Nor has anyone else found them to be sibilant (the treble is actually bit laid back). Fakes can be, though.

So, either get a warranty return if they are real or buy a real pair, I guess

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 33
I bought mine from J&R...
blink.gif

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #5 of 33
The Future Sonics Atrios are basically sibilance-proof. AND they have a very tiny nozzle so no ear wax will get in! Get a new pair of those from Futuresonics.com.

Give the vo3 to your disgusting friend as a holiday present. Also, give him some ear swabs.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 33

Quote:

MDs don't have sibilant treble that I remember. Nor has anyone else found them to be sibilant (the treble is actually bit laid back). Fakes can be, though.

I'd hate to be the guy, but I have to disagree here. I have bickered about them since I first bought them, about the sibilance. While they did get better, I still find them awfully clashy at times. Crazy enough, I actually find the TF10's to be a lot more toned down in sibilance by comparison. Although FWIW, I think the OP and I have similar ears when it comes to detecting harsh mids, as most people tend to disagree with the MMDT and MTPC's... 

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
Quote:

I'd hate to be the guy, but I have to disagree here. I have bickered about them since I first bought them, about the sibilance. While they did get better, I still find them awfully clashy at times. Crazy enough, I actually find the TF10's to be a lot more toned down in sibilance by comparison. Although FWIW, I think the OP and I have similar ears when it comes to detecting harsh mids, as most people tend to disagree with the MMDT and MTPC's... 

What tips did you find worked best with the MMDTs? I can't seem to figure it out, personally.
confused_face.gif

EDIT: I'm finding my generic Sony single-flange tips seem to make the treble toned-down the most, I'll have to try using these ones for a bit.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 33

Quote:
Quote:
Do a warranty return then. MDs aren't sibilant. Look at the MD appreciation thread, I don't think you'll find a single post saying they are sibilant.

Agree on both, especially the MDs aren't sibilant.  They seem almost impossible to be sibilant.

Have to agree with this. These iems are very very smooth, sibilance doesn't enter my mind when thinking of these. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back