My Mini Newb Review of the Audio Technica AD900
Dec 12, 2010 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
Well I finally am free to talk about my AD900's that came in the mail last week !

** NOTE: The way I describe Sound is still under "development". I use terminology that I understand and think best describes what I'm hearing **

Well, i'll just talk about the sound they emit rather than the structural design, ( they ARE comfy ! , a lot more than my grados ( My grados always end up giving my ears that "raw" feeling after prolonged wear ).. the comfort is similar to the stax, but the stax has leather instead of fuzzy fabric.

Ok,
They sound Awesome. They truly have a WIDE soundstage. More than my stax and the grados that I have.
Imagine a wide and echoey stage, its not too far though but enough to not sound hollow but kinda tight. Its pleasing, because sometimes I JUMP or TWITCH because I don't expect what I hear.
If the audio quality is good you can really spot out the individual instruments that become emphasized. They are fun this way. The sound is smooth and has good detail. Yet sometimes it feels like they are a bit "foggy", not as clear as my SR325is or Stax (maybe its the wide soundstage that makes it seem this way for me)
They are quite atmospheric as well, so if you listening to ambient or some spooky or chill out music its pretty awesome.
Though my only complaint ( sort of ) about them, is that they lack bass and punch. Like they hit the bass when they want to but very lightly. It leaves me wanting more. Also, its not only the bass, but they need ( well I need ), more punch, like more power and explosiveness but not in bass terms.

Specifically compared to my Grado SR325is, the AD900's are;
More:
- spacey ( much larger soundstage )
- indirect / can catch you off guard sometimes

Less:
- bass, the grados have more and place it right infront of you practically.
- forward, the sr325is are pretty forward sounding, as in putting the sound practically right infront of your eyes. ( not nessaceraliy a good thing )
- punchy, they need more BAM and SNAP! (lol , if you can understand what i mean)

Specifically compared to my Stax, the AD900's are;
More:
- Slightly more clean sounding ( cripser ? )
- More soundstage ( wide, expansive )

Less:
- Compared to my Stax the AD900 have less of a Warmth.
- Less smooth than Stax.
- Bass

Brief conclusion here:
I still love the AD900's ( i do have some very small doubts/ tweaks I wish I could change ). I love the fact that I now have a NEW sound to listen to. I like the soundstage a lot , it was what I was looking for, they are quite comfortable and they are pretty smooth sounding I think I just wish they packed more punch.

Size Comparison between the AD900's, the Clip + and the Ibasso D4 Mamba:

Size comparison of AD900 between Stax Lambda Nova Basic and Grado SR325is:

Dec 13, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 8
Nice contribution.

Do you have any means to apply some equalisation to the AD900s? Maybe with Rockbox on your Clip+ (though maybe Clip+'s amp is a bit weak)? I've seen folk here ask whether the AD900s can produce a decent level of deep controlled bass if the signal sent them demands it.

Hope you'll continue to add to the thread; maybe some eye candy too :D

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys,

I haven't even thought of listening to my AD900's with my Clip + yet. I need to go dig it up and put it in use now ! ( Completely forgot bout it ). I Do have Rockbox installed, so I will play around with that and see what happens.

( I will also try to put up so much needed eyecandy! )

Dec 13, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 8
Hehe, put some pics up , just for kicks.

Dec 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #6 of 8
I, too, have the AD900, and mostly agree with your conclusions (I have an SR-225I to compare, and , alas, no STAX). Mostly, I enjoy them for their comfort, soundstage, and detail. I can really pick out all the instruments individually, which I found to be really cool (and It was the first thing I've noticed since putting them on). The only difference I have is on the issue of bass, which I believe, is more a matter of opinion. See, I will agree that they lack bass, but I don't really enjoy lots of bass that much, so it's great for me. What I do hear sounds good, and quiet, in the back-ground. I also completely agree that they catch you off guard. I'll be listening to an album, just for background noise, and I'll suddenly hear something, and look up. It's like I'm browsing the internet, or reading datasheets, or whatever, and suddenly, I'll hear a noise over by the door, and look up, then realize that it was just the music being all sound-stagey on me. I'm still loving the metal frame (is that magnesium?)

Also take note: MusiciansFriend have them on sale for $215, which is less than the $279 you normally see them for.

AllsWell, how much (if at all) would you say the AD900's improve with amping? I really need to finish the case on my CKK-iii so I can start using it.

Dec 14, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #7 of 8
Hi dorkvader, thanks for the response .

I completely understand that bass is a matter of opinion.

dorkvader,
To honestly say, the AD900's don't improve much with my D4 mamba amp. Maybe, just maybe, the mids becoming a little more pronounced ? ( as in they become a little more clearer and crisp, but only slightly, I almost don't notice ) Other than that my D4 has nothing else to offer for the AD900's. I should try them on my old technics receiver but, that thing is dying, its almost bitten the dust. Always crackling and hissing.

I think after one more pair of headphones ( hopefully ) , ill start focusing and expanding on the amp side of things.

Dec 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 8
I also have the AD900 and it's my favorite for a long time, It sounds so airy and makes you feel like you are not using headphone. But I have to say that although the bass of AD900 is not bad ( it's quite bouncy) , it's not good enough either. After I got the HD600 and using little dot mkv as amp, I'm amazed by how deep the hd600 can go in the bass, and this make the music more "complete".  With the AD900, there're also some quantity of bass under the mkv, but it's just not deep enough. But overall the AD900 is still a great headphone, It can produce great sound even directly from the ipods, and it certainly has it's own "x-factor"   ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back