My Meier MOVE 1st impressions.....as USB DAC AND amp.
Jul 20, 2007 at 10:38 PM Post #31 of 68
Man, I thought only the newbies (myself included) are jumping on the move bandwagon....apparently even the old timers are giving this bad boy their seal of approval....

Question Move owner:

1) On usb power, can the move be operated on high gain, high volt (this is the setting I need to power the k701)?
2) Has anyone tried the move usb power on high gain/high volt with a hard to drive hp?

I myself love the versatility of laptops....hence the move is a perfect match....

Would this dual usb head provide enough power for the move without the 12v ac: http://cgi.ebay.com/mini-usb-dual-he...QQcmdZViewItem

Jul 21, 2007 at 12:35 AM Post #32 of 68
Quote:

I myself love the versatility of laptops....hence the move is a perfect match....

that is exactly I jumped in for the MOVE. Especially the laptop can hold up a bunch of lossless files.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #33 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...But as it stands now, the Move blows away most everything I've listened to.

Nate, now that my LaRocco PRII MkII has passed the 600 hours of burn in it truly has surpassed the other amps I own and IMO the blue LaRocco PRII you listened as well. It truly is stunning and I hope you listen to it in the near future.

However I am very intrigued by the Move. If you remember I love the Porta Corda MkIII and although it is not the best looking amp it does sound great and at $160 it is a good deal. The Move at $230 w/ an USB DAC sounds like a killer unit.

Heck I have always said that anyone can make a fantastic $200 bottle of wine, but it take a true artisan to do so for $20. Maybe that is what we have with the Move.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #34 of 68
This amp is fantastic. I thought I would have buyers remorse when I got to compare it to the Hornet, but it truly does command it's presence. Burn-in hasn't really done much of anything, which is surprising, cause even a GoVibe changed a bit after 50 hours....

In anycase, this amp is a true bassheads amp. It can shake your cans, but the other freqs don't suffer as it's still as transparent as heck. It's funny cause it's hard to distinguish the line between bloat and true hard hitting bass. I just came back from a party and the DJ had 4 Mackie 450's and the bass wasn't as punchy as the Move with UM2s...I feel spoiled...

Jul 21, 2007 at 3:43 AM Post #35 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel spoiled...

LOL...That's exactly what I feel when I listen to Scott LaFaro's magnificent bass playing from K501/MOVE...

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #36 of 68
Yeah I can't help but post how blown away I am right now listening to Lateralus again. The whole thing, it just feels so new a different. The imaging is so much better (Im a fan of crossfeed now), it all sounds so natural and addictingly detailed without being the least bit fatiguing. This smoothness + detail is a taste into high end dacs and amps, it seems. But this thing will keep me satisfied for a long time to come.

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #37 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah I can't help but post how blown away I am right now listening to Lateralus again. The whole thing, it just feels so new a different. The imaging is so much better (Im a fan of crossfeed now), it all sounds so natural and addictingly detailed without being the least bit fatiguing. This smoothness + detail is a taste into high end dacs and amps, it seems. But this thing will keep me satisfied for a long time to come.

I always check precussion presentation with Right In Two from 10,000 Days. Carey rules!

oicdn - What are your thoughts on the Move and the Hornet? What to you find to be their main differences and how many hours does your Hornet have?

I have to say the Hornet does a few things that I have found superior to all other portable amps I've heard: Bass, Imaging and vocal presentation (I love how the vocalist sounds right next to me).

Jul 22, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #38 of 68
Guys, further to this review.

When I first plugged my Move into my computer USB and fired up Windows Media Player, all I heard was nothing. I thought something was wrong with the Move until I fired up Samsung Media Studio which played to Move no problems. A creative media player played beautifully too.

I still cant work out why Windows Media player wont work. I cant find anything in setup to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas, many thanks

Jul 22, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #39 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I thought only the newbies (myself included) are jumping on the move bandwagon....apparently even the old timers are giving this bad boy their seal of approval....

Question Move owner:

1) On usb power, can the move be operated on high gain, high volt (this is the setting I need to power the k701)?
2) Has anyone tried the move usb power on high gain/high volt with a hard to drive hp?

Would this dual usb head provide enough power for the move without the 12v ac: http://cgi.ebay.com/mini-usb-dual-he...QQcmdZViewItem

I use the high gain (default setting) w/ USB power with a computer and it drives my 650s and 701s superlatively.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #40 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by goobi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, further to this review.

When I first plugged my Move into my computer USB and fired up Windows Media Player, all I heard was nothing. I thought something was wrong with the Move until I fired up Samsung Media Studio which played to Move no problems. A creative media player played beautifully too.

I still cant work out why Windows Media player wont work. I cant find anything in setup to fix it. Does anyone have any ideas, many thanks

A few thing you might want to check:

1. Did the computer recognize the device already? A balloon should have popped up in the lower right corner (assuming you use Windows XP) if when the computer recognized and finished setting it up automatically.

2. Once this set-up is finished, you can open Windows media. Check the volume settings first. If you open the Windows Media Player before the computer finish setting up then you'll need to close Windows Media first and then restart it.

3. You can always check the audio output device in the control panel, if you are not sure if the MOVE has been recognized by the computer or not.

Hope this helps.

Jul 22, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #41 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by rwest1389 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lateralus is the first song I listened to with the move. It really is awesome. Reflection is great too. You can really notice the crossfeed in the song.

Jul 22, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #43 of 68
I used to use Indigo IO on my old Laptop mostly with ER4S/P. I also use Senn MX300, PX100, KSC75. Now I have a new MacBook Pro (I found HP output to be decent after a few tweaks, but not the quality of Indigo output on my PC).

Now a few questions:

I want external DAC/Amp but portability is not an issue. Can I do as well or better than a Move at that price? Does having an optical out change my options?

My "quality" phones are the Etys. How does this influence choice of DAC/Amp?

Anyone run their rig from a SLA battery? I have a 17 Ah and a couple 7 Ah deep cycle 12 V batteries around for other hobby applications, and they would seem to be a nice clean power source and a relatively bottomless pit for a headphone amp.

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Jul 23, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #44 of 68
The Indigo DJ line out is rediculously good....I wish I still had it to hear what the line out to Input on the move sounded like, but I can tell you the DAC in the Move isn't as good as the IDJ....

Jul 23, 2007 at 6:30 AM Post #45 of 68
I use the DAC in the MOVE but it seems to lack punch. I am kinda disappointed in it since i'm basically comparing its DAC with an integrated sound on my laptop which is supposed to be horrible but i found that the integrated sound to have more upfront vocal and punchy bass when compared to MOVE's DAC but the sounsdtage and detail on the MOVE is definitely better.

So right now i'm just tossing between amping my integrated sound (Which sadly will also increase the static noise) to get a punchy sound or using the MOVE's DAC which sounds tamed and a bit boring.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make the DAC punchier otherwise i may have to empty my wallet again to get a better DAC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back