My Meier MOVE 1st impressions.....as USB DAC AND amp.
Jul 19, 2007 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 68

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Well, it arrived before I had to goto work, but luckily, I had a long lunch and ALSO got to play office jockey today. So this isn't a review per say, as I will include a review in my amp review (found in my sig) when I get a Hornet to compare it to (thanks to a kind head-fier lending it to me, Boomana) directly as well as get this beast burned in.

1st comes first. The packaging is IMPECCABLE. Size cut foam, everything put in seperate baggies. You also get a replacement rear panel AS WELL as a replacement battery door AS WELL as battery foam thingies to assure the battery seats good against the contacts. You don't get a cheesy allen wrench, but a decent one that's actually useable and has the balled end so you can use it at different angles. It's long and useable by people with large hands (not me). you also get an IC that doesn't sound half bad. It's no ALO cable, but hell, it's free and sounds pretty good! Honestly, the little details like this impressed me, and he gets a thumbs up! Kinda reminded me of Apple products. He took the time to include quality accessories/tools and gave you some pretty packaging....even if you are going to just toss them in the trash. It's the thought and presentation of it all, reminding you of your purchase.

Accessing the battery is cake cause it's a little panel that you take off, similar to that of something you'de find on a cell phone for your sim card. No unscrewing or anything. Nice. The battery polarity is clearly and easily marked, making it ALMOST idiot proof. I say almost, because you could be a complete jackass and ignore the clear as day, rather large symbols.

Let me just start off with saying I changed nothing, and left it with whatever the way it was shipped to me. However I did play with the crossfeed. Honestly, it's very subtle, however is DEFINITLY more noticeable on some recordings, and not too noticeable(if at all) on others. I suspect this is due to the loudness wars and some recordings being hotter than others. Also, it seems to have a much less effect when it's connected via USB. It's definitly more noticeable when on battery operation, some recordings getting distorted on the upper and lower extremes...

Now, onto the meat....

Songs used:

Aqualung - Brighter than Sunshine
Radical Face - Welcome Home
Bob Marley - I shot the Sheriff
Timbaland ft. Elton John - 2 Man Show
Kronos Quartet - Black Angels
Mindless Self Indulgence - Shut Me Up
Incubus - Warning
DJ Shadow - Organ Donor (extended Overhaul)
Transplants - Tall Cans
Eric B. and Rakim - Don't Sweat the Technique
Zero 7 - In the Waiting Line
Elsa - Dancing
Steelo - Let It Roll

As you can see, I've tackled pretty much EVERY genre....
Transparency and Hiss.
This amp is VERY transparent. There seems to be no recession, no clipping, and definitly no veil. I was quite surprised with it out of the box. With UM2's connected via TurboDock to a Nano, there was NO HISS. Hoever, via USB, there is a very audible hiss. Nothing annoying, but you know it's there, like on silent parts of songs, or when switching tracks. About as equivalent in hiss as say, a shuffle coming out of the HP jack.

Frequencies
Now...I don't know if this is because it's burning in, but HOLY **** THIS THING HAS BASS. In Presence, impact, and quantity. This thing hits some nasty low notes like I've only heard on Mister X's XP and a PRII. It has as much impact as an RSA amp from memory (will get a better comparo when the hornet arrives), but goes as low as an XP. The treble can equally get as high as the bass can get low. You can hear the cymbals really decay well. the midrange, this thing seems to handle female vocals REALLY nicely. Although, I'm not much a fan of male vocals as I am female vocals, unless it's rock, hip hop or just jammin music.

I will say however, the "weak link" in this little amp is the USB end. Not only because of the slight hiss, but because well, it seems to get really tamed down when acting as a USB device, rather than just an amp. The bass doesn't slam as hard, but it does go as low. Basically, if you've ever heard an XP it sounds like that. It has the quantity and silky-ness and oh so smooth sound with a large soundstage, but the brutal impact is missing. Otherwise, it's still a beast, and I still don't regret selling my XP and Indigo DJ to give this a shot. I honestly did not want to sell my XP, but the IDJ was just too much for what I needed, and one extra thing to carry/take out and put in. The Move made more sense to give a shot. And so far, is excelling in this respect.

Soundstage and seperation
Well, not much to say here. it does this very well. With IEMs, it's pretty impressive. The stage is fairly large but it's very upfront sounding. you can clearly pipoint where the instruments would be. It has a very studio live feel. If that makes sense...like you're listening live, but you're in the recording room.

Ergonomics and quality
This thing is SOLID. It's a slightly heavy bugger, but it's SOLID. Very nice case and everything. As stated by many, the volume knob is VERY close to the HP jack. With my UM2s there's very little room. S o those of you who have recabled cans with huge terminals, may have problems. It's not too hard to turn, I suspect it varies from amp to amp. It is stiff though, but definitly not as stiff as the PCIII I heard in Tampa, that thing was annoying hard to turn.

I'm not a fan of the symbals and whatever on the front, but who cares...I honestly forgot all about it once I heard it. But I like how everything is on the front unlike the PRII or TTVJ millet where some stuff is on the back. But this amp is CRAZY nice. The symbols I thinj are the only thing detracting from it being ABSOLUTELY beautiful like a PRII or RSA amp. That, and the jacks themselves look SLIGHTLY DIY, but that's just being *****hole-ish picky, lol. Otherwise, this amp is sexy.

Summary
For $235, this thing is a STEAL. The USB is great, and puts it almost sounding like an XP clone...which is definitly not a bad thing, if anything I would say is a HUGE HUGE compliment. Infact, I would say blind test, aside from the hiss (which the XP doesn't have whatsoever), you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. But on Battery-power, this thing sounds VERY VERY close to a PRII with the bass knob I would say about half way up, in impact, amount, and presence. I assume it will (unfortuneatly IMO) mellow out as burn in occurs, but this thing is a Bass-monster. It sure satisfies my want for bass as it sits now. The other frequencies DO NOT suffer as it sits out of the box. I have about 15 hours of burn-in as it sits while I type this. And like I said, I didn't change any settings from the way it comes from Jan, so there may be a different setting, but the only settings I played with are the Xfeed.

Skylabs review wasn't skewed at all...this amp is incredible. It will probably only get better as burn-in goes along, in which you can expect a "final and proper" review, as well as it being compared directly to a Hornet, as well as the other amps in my review(found in my sig).

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 68
Awesome review....Is the USB bad? I read that when on usb, it uses usb power unless more power is needed, then the battery kicks in.
Are you using a power supply?
Are you going to get a power supply and give us move fans a review?
Let it burn in a bit and test it with the power supply and usb and perhaps the sq will improve.....once again, great review.....

BTW....what HP are you using for the review?

Jul 19, 2007 at 4:56 AM Post #3 of 68
I'm using UM2s...I will say though, that the RP21s ABSOLUTELY ROCK on these. but I won't use them for the review as they're not quite as sensitive and revealing as the UM2s.

I dunno how the USB works, but I noticed even before I turned it on, the little red led came on. So I dunno if it's powering it, or it's it's using battery power for the amp, and the USB for the DAC portion.

One VERY nice thing I just noticed about this amp is there is NO channel equalization like there was in every other amp (except the PRII) where at VERY VERY low volumes (just past the on point) the channels level eachother out. The Moves channels are equal from the get go. A little detail that really has no effect on anything, but something I noticed.

As far as PS goes. I probably won't get one. I never really have the need for a PS. It's easier to just carry a spare 9v if the battery does go bad, than it is to lug around a PS everywhere I go. I hate pluggin in my laptop as it is, let alone something else, lol.

The USB sound IS NOT BAD. Just because I said "it sounds like an XP clone, but with a hiss under USB power", is because the XP doesn't have much IMPACT. It has smooth, liquidy, warm sound, and a HUGE soundstage and can really drive any can out there with ease. So in my eyes, that's a HUGE HUGE HUGE compliment. The XP is a VERY nice amp, and IMO is probably the best sounding amp out of every portable I've listened to with the exception of the PRII and the Move. The ONLY probalem with the XP is it's VERY picky with what it SYNERGIZES with. Example? It can sound a bit too warm on some phones but absolutely meld with others. I know SR60's sounded rediculously good on them. I thought my UM2s sounded great on them(RP21's even better, but those aren't as portable, so they don't see as much use as the UM2s), but after hearing some other cans on the XP, I noticed my UM2s weren't quite the best match with it....hence the reason I sold it. The USB isn't bad, but battery power, the Move has more IMPACT, is all. It also doesn't sound quite as warm when on battery power. It seems to mellow out on USB power...which isn't a bad thing, cause it sounds like a different amp
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 68
Have you tried running Move on USB with a 9V providing power? Did you still notice the hiss then? What headphones did you run out of it? You might want to adjust the gain on them for the hiss.

Also, some USB ports are noisier than others. I remember with the USB powered Alien DAC, people would report more noise on some computer compared to others. USB 1.1 ports than USB 2.0 ports. When powering audio devices through USB, your sound will only be as clean as the power the PC provides and alot of PCs have pretty noisy power.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 68
The USB sound/hiss is when there is a 9v battery in there...will it run without the 9v???? Never tried.

In anycase, when I unplugged my laptop from the wall (it was on AC power), there was a hum, not a hiss, but a hum. It was odd, you'de thing with the laptop going battery powered, it would get quieter, but nope, it got noisy-er.

When burn in is complete, I'll start fiddling around with the settings, this way I'll be positive it's physically changed, rather than me hearing things. Keep atleast one constant through-out the process.

But I do think I'm on a lower gain setting because when plugged in, I have a decent amount of travel, especially in USB mode. But I'll double check to be sure.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 68
Nice review, oicdn.

I am receiving a Move today or tomorrow. I cannot wait... especially given your comments and others.

How are you (or others) 'burning in' the Move?

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 68
Nice write up oicdn!

We seem to have similar tastes when it comes to bass and female vocals so I'm very tempted by what I've read between you and Skylab. I am anxious to hear how it sounds after burnin and how it compares to a Hornet with a good 400hrs on it.

Jul 19, 2007 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 68
Is Move a upgrade from Porta Corda MKIII, SQ wise? if anybody owns both, I would like to hear their thoughts...

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 68
I just got mine a couple of hours ago. With the default settings, the balance was much too boomy on the low end for me, and foggy--I was actually preferring the headphone out on my iPod. When I changed to low gain, though, things are incredibly clear now, with a firm bottom end.

Jul 19, 2007 at 9:55 PM Post #13 of 68
you think an external power supply would fix the hiss/lack of bass when using the USB port?

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 68
nice review..this makes me want to buy them..theyre not that expensive at $235..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back