my macbooks was stolen! help me find a new laptop to fill the void!
Apr 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

DesertInTheShape

100+ Head-Fier
in short, my macbook (the black one), was stolen at the airport. long story. basically, i can't even look at an apple anymore because i am so damn heartbroken. im serious. i love my macbook and apple but i just can't. i had tons of stuff i didn't back up and the thought of someone else with my apple kills me. so i am looking to buy a cheap replacement to fill the void. i am thinking about going pc so can anyone help me? i need something that is around the same speed as this book. (not too concerned about hard drive space)...i will use graphics programs like illustrator and photoshop cs3, dreamweaver, and perhaps final cut studio if possible. please help! what is a decent thinkpad out there i can get for cheap if this is good replacement? toshiba, sony? i don't do dells so don't even go there.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 30
You could probably configure an X61 and then use the coupon USPAPRILSAVINGS to save 10%. (15% if you want an R61.)

You're really better off asking for help on laptops on Notebook Review forums..

Asus laptops can also be a good choice; although they're not tablets, they're really powerful laptops.
Newegg.com - ASUS F3 Series F3SA-A2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T7500(2.20GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 2GB Memory DDR2 667 160GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 - Retail
(^Has ATI, drivers might be a problem..)
Newegg.com - ASUS M51 Series M51Sn-A1 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T5450(1.66GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 3GB Memory 250GB HDD DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS - Retail
(^Has Merom: T5450, might be slow. 1280x800, so might be a problem for photo editing. But has 3GB RAM + nV 9500m.)
Newegg.com - ASUS M51 Series M51Sn-X2 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T8300(2.40GHz) 15.4" Wide XGA 4GB Memory DDR2 667 250GB HDD 5400rpm DVD Super Multi NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS - Retail
(^Same as above but with Penryn: T8300, faster processor. Still 1280x800, but with 4GB RAM + nV 9500m.)

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 30
you'll need a mac to run final cut studio i'm pretty sure.

on a side note, i think it's kinda amusing that one of the requirements to use Color - ( a part of the suite) is a three button mouse for full functionality
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #8 of 30
Those two ThinkPads you're looking at are the machines I'd recommend.

However, you should seriously consider getting another Mac. Not only because one of your software choices only runs on Macs (Final Cut Studio) but because you're used to it, and someone who's quite used to Leopard is bound to find Vista very disappointing.

(Also, a lot of the work you seem to be doing is graphic arts-related, and there are currently some issues with color management in Vista if you use color profiles. Though I'm sure they'll eventually be worked out, so that wouldn't be a deal breaker. But Vista will likely never have color management across most applications the way OS X does.)

Don't let a thief make platform choices for you. Also, as another motivation, Time Machine is very easy to use and would be the best bet for avoiding the lack of backups issue in the future.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 30
Thinkpads are great business laptops (I have one thru work), but I'd say if you're used to the Mac, stay with it. Nothing new to learn, and you already sound like you have software in mind.

Mind you, the Thinkpad keyboards are the best out there on laptops. and the Build quality is outstanding, easily as good as a Mac laptop, maybe not as cutesy though.

If you reported the theft, you may be able to write off some of the cost of replacing it. ( If it's uninsured i think.)

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mind you, the Thinkpad keyboards are the best out there on laptops. and the Build quality is outstanding, easily as good as a Mac laptop, maybe not as cutesy though.

As far as the keyboard side is concerned, the latest SONY laptops have the best key stroke feel that I have ever encountered.

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 30
Man... it sucks balls that your black Macbook got stolen, it's like what? $1500 bucks? At least it wasn't anything more expensive like a Macbook Pro.

I also agree you should stick with Mac if its what worked for you. You can either get a refurb as suggested or could get one used which could be a even better deal, sans the warranty.

Apr 3, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 30
lol...no, im not mad at apple.
it's just hard to look at a damn apple without thinking about how some ******* is using my laptop right now and i'd love to strangle his neck, and how much i hope whatever piece of crap stole my laptop burns in hell.
I went to the apple store yesterday and the macbook pro 17inches didnt even look appealing to me anymore. i bought it when it first came out and it cost me close to 1800 dollars. Not to mention it was loaded with around 5000 bucks worth of software, Adobe suite, final cut, coral, avid, macromedia crap, every apple program, poser, etc..and like i said, YEARS worth of work. my plan was to buy time machine once i got back and back it all up. but i waited too long. and like an IDIOT i didnt install something like undercover so i could trace where it is now. so note to all head-fi users. install something like undercover. i never thought it would ever get stolen but it did.
ughhhh. im thinking buy a mac mini and a big display, or the macbook pro, or one of the ibm tablets like i said. i once owned a vaio and was impressed but they seem cheap now, and yes, it is hard going back to pc after being a mac user, because yes, they are better. but more expensive. and every time i see an apple i think about thieves who should burn in satan's fire.

Apr 3, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 30
what is your price range? i suggest getting an Asus M51Sn-A1 or any of the Asus F3SV's, i have an
Asus F3SV-X1 with 2GB of memory and its good enough to run after effects well... and assassins creed (barely)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back